[access-uk] Re: Access in libraries and spending choices

  • From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 13:11:30 +0100

I completely agree with all that. But for over 65s who don't own a computer,
how are they going to be able to use it anyway, especially if the staff
don't know what they are doing? They *must* address training needs if they
want to make it work, yet another expense. There is no screen reader that
somebody who doesn't know about computers could just use to access anything
really, though Jaws does give the most helpful info for such people if you
ask me.

Cheers
Dave

From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi
>
> The need for libraries to spend this kind of money is really for two
> reasons. Firstly, remembering how many visually impaired people are out of
> work, it is logical to assume that there are plenty who simply can't
> afford
> a computer. Also, I think too many visually impaired people are just
> sitting
> at home, and if there's something that encourages them to get out because
> they know there's something they could use, then that's a good thing. In
> reality, however, they could kit 30 people per year up with really good
> systems they could use anytime instead, which would actually be more
> useful.
>
> The other reason for encouraging this kind of spend is that some visually
> impaired people do actually pay, through taxes, for otherwise inaccessible
> library services. We should be campaigning for more to be spent on us.
>
> However, I am of the view that the world is becoming less, rather than
> more
> accessible for us, and increasing numbers of visually impaired people will
> be increasingly reliant on help to do things over time. Maybe when voice
> activation really kicks in, things will reverse again, but I think we are
> into one of those phases where things are against us. There is increasing
> automation with no access for us, increasing numbers of shop staff unable
> help us through, let's say, language issues, increasing numbers of gadgets
> using touch interfaces we'll never manage, and the start of shared
> surfaces
> we'll never negotiate easily.
>
> I believe the most urgent campaign should be that the DDA needs to make
> all
> gadgets provide accessible interfaces, or at least guarantee that certain
> types of gadget are made available for us, and all environments must be
> retrospectively made as accessible as possible, as quickly as possible.
> The
> latter can easily be justified as everything that is done for visually
> impaired people can be done so that it helps all pedestrians and without
> penalising wheelchair users, and this would contribute to increasing
> walking
> and improving the quality of the environment by seeing walking as the most
> vital form of transport.
>
> As for SAtogo, I think it is fantastic on the internet and seems to know
> what to speak when. Sadly, it is less good in messenger aps as far as I
> can
> tell. I think with a few more keystrokes it would be even better. I think
> Jaws still gives the most flexible navigation of all, but rate SAtogo as
> the
> next best. Obviously though, Window Eyes is better at many things SAtogo
> won't do, and that will increasingly be the case as people write scripts
> for
> [...]

Internal Virus Database is out of date.
Checked by AVG.
1:25 PM