[access-uk] Re: ADSL modem/wireless router

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:49:26 +0100

Hi,

It is possible to do this quite easily.  You will need:

* An ADSL modem unit combined with wireless access point.  I recommend usually
the Draytek models, however, I am not sure where your distributor is (is it
France you are in now)?  I suggest you look on the site
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/ - although this is a UK site, the models
are available worldwide except for perhaps the BT models.  The section you want
is the top section.

* Two PCI wireless cards - you will have to open up the machines to put these
in.  Alternatively USB versions are available, which are quite small and just
plug into a USB port.  However, these are wasting a valuable port which has
other uses, especially if you have free PCI slots.

If the machines are close by, you can still use a router with a cable, because
there are 4 ports in most routers.  however, at present I think you have a
crossover cable, and this will need to be changed for two straight-through
cables, which plug from the router to each network card on the motherboards.

You also need splitters on each telephone socket to ensure that the signals
from the DSL connection don't get into the voice calls, thus compromising both
the quality of your calls and the DSL link.

Thanks.
Andrew.