[access-uk] A cautionary tail about train security

  • From: Peter Bosher <tandem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:35:48 +0000

Hi All,

I was on a train yesterday from Kings Cross to Sandy.    I left my seat for
all of two minutes, to explore the train's extensive entertainment
facilities, and when I came back, my two bags, containing Braille-Lite,
Lap-top and lunch, had gone.

Whilst suppressing the urge to panic, scream, and so-on, I asked whether
anyone knew where my bags were, and was told that Train Security staff had
taken them off the train at Stevenage, because "nobody knew whose they were".

I take this to be a sign of the new age we live in but think there are two
important points to pass on, and hope our gracious list moderator will
allow this as on-topic given that we often have to carry expensive kit
around.  .

Firstly, never again leave anything unattended, ever, no matter for how
short a time.

Secondly, I got my stuff back unharmed, partly thanks to the fact that they
had my name and phone-number on a label inside.   I had only done this
about a month back, but it does seem a good plan.

Forgive me if everyone else has always practised these simple measures but
I was utterly astounded , so hope this will help avoid such a thing
happening to you.

While I'm at it, have a  happy, peaceful and safe New Year.

All the best,

Peter