[56raf_firebirds] Re: Last Night

  • From: "tim foster" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "silverwings.stickz" for DMARC)
  • To: 56raf_firebirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 20:27:11 +0000

you maybe surprised just how many targets do not require attacking the bunkers (at least on CB). Even the airfields they are often a waste of bomber effort. KOTA set their targets up for virtually 100% destruction (so you spent 20minutes trying to find a bicycle leaning on tree). CB in most cases categorise targets into soft targets/hangers/tanks/planes/hard targets/buildings or factories. Get 2 from 3,  4 from 5 type idea or a %. And its easier to kill 16 hangers than 12 bunkers.  For instance any factory/fuel depot target you can take it for granted that bunkers, camm nets and vehicles are totally irrelevant scenary apart from giving personal score.

Usually I look at CB server before joining for running mission then have quick glegg on forum for target layout reminder - our cats eat and shred anything made of paper for some reason, guess they like the sound :). Then findits full and we have to fly kota haha

TTFN
Stickz

On 30/01/2020 19:41, Rob (Redacted sender robinhj for DMARC) wrote:

I have printed out the photo in case we try it again.  Last night I attacked the bunkers but it sounds like they were not a priority.  I know now.

Rob

On Thursday, 30 January 2020, 18:38:41 GMT, tim foster <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

to give an indication how its scenary changed since my intel on our website see the 2 jpgs (will update forum soon).
I have also tried loading infinite ammo and it took 6 P47 passes to get enough tank strikes in centre to kill target (and for good measure 3 more attempts to get the 2 that used to be easier by river but now hidden under trees).
Very tricky target.
But then most targets on this map require killing a certain number of tanks. As most are not strafeable even with tempest guns (pzivs), plastering these with brute force and ignorance seems a good bet. Why the 2 beside river were worth taking out, could get both with one accurate drop (so 2 less in centre) now its pretty invisible. I could show just how close you need to be even with 1000lbs but assume you wont get two tanks with one bomb so the more and bigger bombs = efficiency.
Its a viable target though its on a route for enemies going to grave, arnhem and nijmegan, however they are often loaded and low 110s or single 190s or returning and low. Being at back most dont skulk over it for long. Whereas others are on the front lines and require similar effort to degrade.
For those who aint seen it, virtually every CB target is on our forum.
We know our mistake last night, but then it appears I was only one who had ever attacked it previously, so it was always going to be difficult

TTFN
Stickz

On 30/01/2020 15:06, Michael Colby (Redacted sender michael.colby82 for DMARC) wrote:
Thanks Stickz.  Tricky old target with lots of diversions.

Talisman

On Thursday, 30 January 2020, 15:02:18 GMT, tim foster <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://56punjabvirtualsquad.boards.net/thread/80/recon-combat-box-bridge-far

displays all of it - only difference to last night there are now trees along the river which obscure the bunkers running beside it.
If dont wanna follow link then see enclosed, again the bunkers along river are now virtually invisible - only reason to hit them is 2 tanks are under the cammo net and slightly easier to kill than the 8 scattered in the centre. Need to kill the locomotive and tanks. Note the bunkers are not necessary to hit, all necessary buildings get killed by attacking the centre tanks.

TTFN
Stickz

On 30/01/2020 10:40, Rob (Redacted sender robinhj for DMARC) wrote:
I just want to thank Talisman for putting together some Thach Weave training.  Some of our trials showed very good results and even the failed trials gave us a lot of info about what can go wrong.  We learned that allowing yourself to be tempted into abandoning the weave to latch onto the enemy can be counter-productive. We learned that when trying to weave two welded pairs you must know when to continue in that mode and when to break up into a single pair weaving.  There are also times when the weave starts to fall apart and trying to regain it will make things worse by placing you in front of the attacker that was going after your wingman.

After that we did a jabo mission and I died.  Not because anyone failed to protect me but because I completely failed to consider that there might be enemies nearby.   It was a very difficult target where it was hard to see what we were going for but we had to hit everything exactly.  The mistake we made was going in in three phases hoping that the later ones would learn where & what to hit from the previous attacks.   Instead what it meant was that enemy had time to realise the target was being attacked and to come over and catch the last attackers coming off the target.  Next time we will just all go in close together and bug out immediately.    I don't suppose anyone recorded footage so we can look at where everything was?

Roblex

--
if you dont live life on the edge you are taking up too much space