[56raf_firebirds] Re: Duxford Spitfire galore.

  • From: 56RAF_phoenix <phoenix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 56raf_firebirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 10:30:33 +0000

always liked the harrier :)
The great flaw in the design was that with certain wind strengths and direction, the engine would ingest exhaust thereby massively reducing thrust just as you were coming in to land in a hover.
I remember seeing immensely complex 3D flow calculations trying to understand when it happened.
But the only real fix is what you see in the F35, exhaust nozzles at the rear only.

56RAF_phoenix

On 30/10/2020 10:22, Colin Pack (Redacted sender bart_56 for DMARC) wrote:
I went to world superbikes at brands hatch one year, where they had a tornado and harrier display. The harrier just hovered above us, it was deafening, we could not hear what each other were saying. A few years before that I went to a Royal Navy opening day at the Chatham naval docks and standing on a deck of a frigate and a harrier was just hovering between two frigates and again was deafening, always liked the harrier :).

Colin

Sent from my iPad

On 30 Oct 2020, at 09:40, Rob <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The sound that remained with me was the Mercedes engines 109s with that whistle it made.   Another sound I remember is a formation of harriers taking off vertically at Farnborough It made the Vulcan sound quiet!