[56raf_firebirds] Re: AIO Radiator

  • From: "tim foster" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "silverwings.stickz" for DMARC)
  • To: 56raf_firebirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 20:49:39 +0100

and you are talking about code that was never written for that purpose, even though they have tried to offload some it to utilise some parallelisation recently. But it needs to be there from the start to get much meaningful from it - and then have compilers and programs to provide it (and they definately were not common back in 2012 when this was released, much less for the years previous it took to write it onto RoF engine).
Whilst MS2020 may have it, I doubt many combat flight simes are going to provide it for a good few years. Its almost a restart

TTFN
Stickz

On 23/10/2020 20:41, 56RAF_phoenix wrote:

I should have added: it's possible the devs have put in a lot of fine-grained parallelism at the loop level to exploit hyperthreading. But that's a lot of effort that usually doesn't pay off unless you have large amount of independent work on each loop interation. That seems fairly unlikely in a flight sim. You only get really efficiency using coarse grained message passing (MPI).
As you can tell, I'm pretty skeptical about parallel code efficiency... and I run parallel programs that I founded on /tens of thousands/ of processors.

56RAF_phoenix

On 23/10/2020 20:33, 56RAF_phoenix wrote:
when I turned off hyperthreading and just run on 4 cores those cores looked liked they were being pushed harder % wise than if I had hyperthreading on
As a former expert in parallel programming for similarish coding, I'll say that just because the cores look busy doesn't mean they're doing /useful/ work. Just doing the context switching and reloading the cache will be counted as cpu work, when all you're doing is changing threads. Every time you switch hyperthreads it costs useless effort. It's only worth while if the other thread is in some wait state at a sync barrier.
You'd have to add the % usage of the 4 cores together, then the 8 hyperthreaded "cores" for the same instant of flight, and even then you'd probably find the totals for 4 cores might be lower.

56RAF_phoenix

On 23/10/2020 18:50, Joe Stronach (Redacted sender jstronach for DMARC) wrote:
Cheers Col, agree.

I think there's is still quite a bit of legacy 'buy the most expensive Intel cpu you can afford' opinion on the forums, but maybe that will have turned around completely quite soon.

Personally I'm pleased that the B450s have been given an upgrade path by AMD after all. Although my 3600 will hopefully suffice for quite some time yet.

Roke

Get Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/ghei36>