[56raf_firebirds] Re: [56raf_firebirds] Re: [56raf_firebirds] Re: DCS

  • From: 56RAF_phoenix <phoenix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 56raf_firebirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 18:12:52 +0100

Beats flying on the style of maps/campaigns we are getting in IL2 at the moment in my opinion.
Yes, I rather agree with that. The il2 devs need to up their game, and that doesn't mean new aircraft or even maps.
Its stale because of these reasons:
    1. Everyone knows where you're going, because the number of objects on a map is very limited. We are fortunate that Finnish do big maps, which helps. More live objects on maps would breath life into it. But the map makers would have to catch up.
    2. Everyone can see where you're going. Layered clouds like the DCS Beta would bring much more tactical variation (they need to be fast too).
    3. Real Radar objects for the Western Front with realistic search and track. The combination of layered clouds and this would make lower level runs much more viable and interesting.
    4. Less cockpit automation. This is one of things DCS gets right. They need to force the pilot to think about more things than combat. Less of a game, more of a sim.
    5. We need the Marshal mode, plus map plotting tools. That would get squad cooperation going.

56RAF_phoenix

On 22/05/2021 15:24, Colin (Redacted sender bart_56 for DMARC) wrote:
From what I have seen on the three videos I have speeded through and the briefings, they did mention the call of 88’s which I guess means AGM-88’s, used for wild weasel missions so I guess they were taking place. The major briefing mention of the fourth mission that the longer range SAM (S-300 maybe) was a sleep I guess that means taken out in the previous missions. The SAM and AAA batteries were human manned and in the first mission you see SAM’s fired.
On their debrief they lost a flight of F-15C’s to fighters.

Unfortunately there are not more videos of information(that I can find) of what is going on with this campaign. I thought it looked quite impressive from what I have seen and I guess they would not make it a milk run campaign after going through all the effort they obviously have put in to it.

How real it is to what’s going on in Syria at the moment, not sure as the game might not be up to date on modern equipment so they will have to go with what the game gives them. But what it did show is that you have to know your aircraft, etc.

Beats flying on the style of maps/campaigns we are getting in IL2 at the moment in my opinion.

Colin

On 22 May 2021, at 13:11, 56RAF_phoenix <phoenix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'll add some more to this (fortunately my knowledge is superficial, so I can say whatever I want):

This mission involves NATO fighters and GA - no Wild Weasel, where are all the jamming pods... against coherent Syrian air defence.
/I doubt this mission could ever have been run in RL./ The NATO 'planes would have been dead meat against the more up-to-date defences Syria used to have.

When you hear of Israeli fighter-bombers over Syria in RL recently, I would guess:
    a) Syria no longer has coherent air defence (in most places)
    b) They probably have some sort of agreement with the Russian air defences near the Russian occupied airfields not to shoot at them as long as they only attack Hezbollah related stuff
    c) The Israelis probably have some particular exploits against the slightly older Soviet systems that they keep for special occasions
    d) If you look at open source you'll see that the Russians are rather careful about how up-to-date the stuff they sell the Syrians is. The news reported S-300 going to Syria some time ago. That's last generation.

That makes this big mission an exercise in timing and coordination, not warfare.

56RAF_phoenix

On 22/05/2021 11:55, 56RAF_phoenix wrote:
Colin - The trouble in that it's impossible to be anything like realistic for this era. Even by lateish Cold War, it was all dominated by radar, SAMs and above all ECM.

And those ECM details were incredibly highly classified, because if you knew how to jam the opponent's data comms to their SAMs it was game-over.
That's particularly true of Soviet/Russian SAMs because almost all of them are centrally controlled by the engagement radar.
The analogue era ended some time ago.

Likewise for air-to-air, it all became beyond-visual-range and ECM four decades ago.

None of this can be realistically modelled in a sim, because the sim makers won't have the information.

This is why I rarely fly anything post-war. It's pure fantasy.

56RAF_phoenix

On 22/05/2021 10:52, Colin (Redacted sender bart_56 for DMARC) wrote:
Along video forget about the some of the stuff, but what I thought was good about it was the scale of the operation and that someone was prepared to put it together.

Looked impressive.

DCS video: https://youtu.be/0CeaD_6ltDg ;<https://youtu.be/0CeaD_6ltDg>

Colin

On 19 May 2021, at 19:32, Colin <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Been flying DCS most of the week flying the MkIX and F-86 on the Quest 2 which runs DCS a lot better than the Index. The Quest 2 with ASW 90hz to 45hz but @2704x2736 (Index 2016x2240) and higher in game settings, it has less ghosting hardly any.