[24hoursupport] Re: Virus Scam?

  • From: Ron Allen <chizotz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jim Harris <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 11:03:46 -0500

Hello Jim,

The process described is legitimate for removing the HighTraffic
Adware/Spyware. See http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/H/HighTraffic.asp

The HighTraffic adware connects to an ad server while you are browsing
the Internet and downloads ads to your computer. It is especially
dangerous because it can allow the downloading and execution of
arbitrary and unmanaged code on your machine.

What I don't understand and question about your sister's question is
where did she get the email from? How would anyone else know if she
was infected or not? I always suspect unsolicited email of any kind,
and that sounds a little fishy to me... except that the instructions
appear to be legit which makes no sense if there was anything
malicious in the email.

At any rate, if she does not have these files on her computer she is
not affected and need not do anything. If she does have these files, I
would ask her to follow the directions on the PestPatrol site given
above to remove the pest software.

Ron

Sunday, September 7, 2003, 7:47:43 AM, you wrote:
JH> My sister sent the following letter. Seems like I heard something simular a
year or two ago. I told her to delete the e-mail, any advice is
appreciated...Jim Harris

JH> I had a virus alert in my e-mail that said i have a virus called
winppr32.exe in my system &registary keys. It said to open DOS comand promp
windows(fromStart,Programs>Accessories) and enter the
JH> following commonds  :cd"%windir%system"regsvr32/uBHO2.dll
regsvr32/uMSNIE.dll  then RestartWindows and I should be able to delete the
BH02.DLL  & MSNIE,DLL files in the system folder.(the system
JH> folder can be found in the windows folder:It is called System 32 in XP &
just System in 95 & 98. Now I wonder who would send me such a report- I went to
every thing Panda has & tried a few other
JH> free scans. Far as I can see there is no-such virus,  but maybe you can
tell me what would happen to a persons computer if they did what this report
said to do.