[24hoursupport] Re: How to protect your address book

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:36:39 -0400

Afternoon

Good suggestion Dave,  but something for you to
consider.   With writing them down or printing them
out means you have to type each one in all the time
which can be a pain especially with those that you
email often.

Two solutions for you.

Keep the often used addresses in your address book
but make them foolproof.  Meaning a virus could never
figure out your secret.   Alter the addresses
slightly such as for this list you could enter it
into your address book as
124hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx then when you wanted to
send an email address it as you normally would and
remove the leading 1.  This way in the very off
chance you did find yourself infected the virus would
only send itself to an unknown address which wouldn't
harm anyone

Or keep them in a password protected text file so all
you need to do is open it up and copy/paste the
addresses you need.   password protecting the file
helps prevent virus (and others) from reading it.

Christy

On 6/14/02 at 07:02 PM Dave McNeilly wrote:

>Hi
>
>I also have to agree with Christy.  Someone gave me
some advice on how to
>protect my address book.  I have printed out all my
email addresses and
>there are none in my address book, even though I
have a good anti virus at
>least nothing will attach itself to my addres book.
Also as soon as I
>have read my messages and replied to them I will
delete them.

>Dave

Subject field OR by logging into the Web interface at