[1stPickPCHelp] Re: system resources

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1stpickpchelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:50:47 -0800

Hi Sandra,
system resources are often affected by programs running in the background,
which means that you do not realize they are running.
Some of the more common ones are, screensavers, anti virus ("Norton's" are
famous for being resource hogs) or firewall programs, auto backup programs,
and Word/Office.
The number of programs running when you start up is controlled by Msconfig.
Too many programs running can use up your resources.

Here is a good site which explains Msconfig;
http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html
Built into Windows 98, 98SE, ME, and XP is a special tool called the
"Microsoft System Configuration Utility" or simply "MSCONFIG." Designed to
help you troubleshoot problems with your computer, MSCONFIG can also be used
to ensure that your computer boots faster and crashes less.
 ++ There is more on the web site.
~~~
Startup Problems
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm
Many new users are concerned about the low level of system resources
available to them.
Much of the problem can be due to the number of programs which are loaded
and run when the system starts up
++ There is more on the web site.
~~~
I hope this helps

See my Anti-Virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
A Technical Support Alliance Charter Member
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techsupportalliance/

On 20/11/2002 at 2:58 PM Sandra Lessingham wrote:

Dear 1stpickpchelp moderator:
I have a question for you concerning RAM and my system properties.
When I am on the internet (dial up) and everything seems to slow down I
check my system resources and they are usually down to under 60% and I know
that I need to reboot in order for my webpages to come up faster.
I recently had 128mb RAM added to my system that was running on 64mb RAM and
thought that this would greatly help this problem but find that it has made
no difference.
My system resources frequently fall below that 60% and I don't know why.  If
I am running my system: Windows 98, Pentium III 550 and 191mb RAM should
this be happening?
I would appreciate any help you could give me on this matter.
Many Thanks,
Sandra Lessingham
slessingham@xxxxxxxxxx

to 1stpickpchelp-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.