Re: [yoshimi-user] no sound generation

  • From: oli_kester <oli_kester@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "yoshimi-user" <yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 21:22:59 +0000

&gt; 4096 is huge. But you have only 1G RAM. Can you paste the text given by
the 'free' command? Mint was not RAM-stingy the
&gt; last time I tried it, ditto any Ubuntu variant; I have to wonder if your
RAM being full is the first problem.
My current, mostly xrun free settings give me 171ms latency, luckily I don't
run any live instruments through this computer, so it's not a huge issue.

free gives me -

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1025148 958796 66352 0 6948 100824
-/+ buffers/cache: 851024 174124
Swap: 1044476 381048 663428

so that's what, 66MB free RAM?!? Much disk thrashing....
This wasn't doing audio work mind you, it's my other 'work' use - running
Firefox, Eclipse, Clementine audio player, viewing a PDF, etc etc. I'm not too
convinced the RAM is the cause of my issues though - Yoshimi doesn't work when
I run it alone, yet the computer copes with loads of other audio programs open
and working simultaneously

&gt; As of the 12.04 era, Mint and Ubuntu both had lots of little audio and
hardware things in the background, interfering with
&gt; Jack; I tried hard to get a 12.04 to do jack well (I don't like configs
with &gt;6ms) and it just wouldn't do it. I'm running
&gt; Archbang with MATE on two ex-salvage laptops (dual-core with 2 and 3G RAM)
and MIDI synth box (octo with 8G RAM), all
&gt; with 5.33ms, including a laptop with very junky audio. I haven't been able
to go lower than 5.33ms though, have tried many
&gt; things over several months including custom rt and non-rt kernels, am
wondering if this is just a fact of life with newer
&gt; (3.12+) kernels. Am thinking strongly of trying a small Firewire interface
to see if I can get the latency lower.

Hmm that's interesting.... my main machine does jack pretty well I think, I've
got it down to 5.33ms as well. It's running Xubuntu 12.04 specifically, which
I've found to be more reasonable with RAM.
Out of interest, why bother lowering latency any more? Playing live guitar
digitally with 5.33ms sounds like a real amp to me, as far as latency goes.
More complex setup? &lt;--- perhaps out of the scope of this mailing list