Re: [yoshimi-user] MIDI control

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 21:58:02 +0100

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 12:54:44 +0200
Kristian Amlie <kristian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06/04/14 21:22, Will Godfrey wrote:
On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 17:50:11 +0200
Kristian Amlie <kristian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If noone objects on the list I would take that as the guide. Personally
I have no problem requiring jack to compile Yoshimi; I couldn't imagine
using Yoshimi without it.

Good point! And I guess the packagers will simply follow the dependencies
anyway.

I'm still struggling trying to get my head round it all, but my current
thinking is to see if I can make the jack midi section sort of partially
start
up for alsa midi so that the ring buffer etc. is active, but no jack midi
ports are opened. Not overly happy about this though. It seems rather a
hack :(

If I remember correctly, the jack ring buffer is a very simple
structure, not specific to MIDI in particular. So I see no problem
lifting it out of the MIDI specific section altogether and into a more
generic section.

It is indeed very simple, far simpler than many others I've had a look at
recently.

I did think about moving it to a common point. The only one that seems relevant
is synthengine (in misc). It already has links to both alsa and jack engines.
However is it right to just add on this functionality or should a completely
new section be created? If the latter, then I'm afraid that would be quite
beyond my current abilities :(

We really need to get this right. More and more my feeling is that this is
central to a lot of other improvements that can then be made.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk