Re: [yoshimi-user] Fwd: no sound after installation

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:09:19 +0000

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:04:15 +1100
David <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 25/02/14 04:13, Will Godfrey wrote:
On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 23:27:18 +1100
David <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Forgive the ignorance of a complete newbie....

I've installed yoshimi on Ubuntu 12.04

It runs, jackd is running and when i click on the virtual keyboard I get
a level indication but no sound at all. Any suggestions what i've done
wrong?

the speakers are working - i get sounds from other programs - eg
audacity and the system sounds.
At the risk of stating the obvious, are you connecting the audio outputs?

Yoshimi doesn't do this by default as it can't know exactly what you want
to connect it to.

Most people use qjackctl to do this.

Thanks... that was the clue I needed. I had all the right elements in
qjackctl but didn't realise I had to go the extra "select/connect" step
to get them to talk to each other.

Is there a dummy's guide anywhere?

thanks again.
There is no complete manual for Yoshimi, but there are demos on youtube
explaining specific points for both Yoshimi and ZynAddSubFX. Most of the
features are identical but with varying layout and usability.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk