Re: [yoshimi-user] Running Yoshimi realtime/priority?

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:21:37 +0000

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:17:33 -0800
jeb <jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anyone seen an improvement or the opposite while doing this? I have been
doing it for some time, because I want Yoshimi's math and RAM usage to have
the same very high priority as audio processing. But the Jack developer:

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/FAQ_and_Myths

has pointed out using some Arch wiki content which I contributed, saying that
this also gives the GUI threads of Yoshimi (and others) incorrectly high
priority. Which gives me some serious pause. I can't worry about my
Fluidsynth processes, because there is no GUI thread, but about anything GUI,
which includes both Yoshimi and my post-synth filters, perhaps I should be
thinking better.

Of course, I could run Yoshimi without the GUI, and probably will shortly.
But in general, folks, what have you tried, have you found a way to run GUI
filters and/or synths and other things where the GUI is not given terrible
priority but their CPU/RAM is prioritized?

J.E.B.

I haven't used an RT kernel for some time now and have not seen any drop in
performance.

One of the issues Cal was dealing with was to separate out the DSP, MIDI and
GUI threads, precisely so that jack could give the DSP thread the desired
priority without dragging the other threads up too. I don't know how far he got
with this, and once I have the current bugs under control it's something that I
want to try and get my head round (if I can).

I do know he was thinking about the idea of a ring buffer fed from the MIDI
stream that the DSP could pick from quickly when it chose, and the GUI could
fetch when there was time available.

However, as things stand, the fact the MIDI activities *don't* update the GUI
is probably a good thing. Under normal 'hands-off' running there is minimal GUI
activity created by the DSP itself updating the level bargraphs.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk