Re: [yoshimi-user] Different sound in Yoshimi and ZynAddSubFX.

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 21:47:09 +0100

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 00:44:18 +0200
David Adler <david.jo.adler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/15/13, David Adler <david.jo.adler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

https://image.bayimg.com/344efbe1a0ee4d330895f185b7ca3152243807e5.jpg

These are 30 cycles of a C5 note, displayed in Jaaa with peak hold.
Yoshimi on the left, Zyn on the right. Master volume is turned to
the lowest possible setting in both synths.
Same versions as used by Andreas.

So yes, they look and sound different. Yoshimi sounds a bit brighter.
Judging from sound and spectrograms (and peak values), the
generating algorithms aren't identical; though I don't recall any
such changes being intended or announced here on the list.

Some more screenshots, again using jaaa with peak hold:

default addsynth
http://image.bayimg.com/b04ed71c0d001f58f4ee3aeffe337590d89f95a0.jpg

default subsynth
http://image.bayimg.com/7f8d947f87cf22c51cafd6c197eea5a3ba93ac96.jpg

default padsynth
http://image.bayimg.com/fcb1c162f564d5b30496d90fcf09ca3114b9606b.jpg

Differences aren't audible to me with those default settings.

The peaks' "big bellies" form during the sharp noisy note
onsets, they differ from note to note and build up over
time -- that includes the saddle in addsynth and the bump in
subsynth. Once notes are running, peaks get far more narrow.

The difference in number and location of peaks that show up in
the screenshot I did with Andreas' patch also occurs just during
note onset, with a lot in highly enveloped resonant filtering
going on. After that onset, the peaks are -- apart from one or
two dB -- identical in both Yosh and Zyn.
That makes me wonder whether we're after some new kind of
(-ffast-math related(?)) Heffalump here or not.

Side note:
Yoshi's default master volume is at 90 while Zyn's
is at 80. (To get rid of that for the above screenshots, I saved
parameters in Yoshimi and loaded them in both.)

best,
-david

I don't think there were any intended changes either - in fact I'm certain
there weren't. However, having recompiled a lot of the older versions, there
seems to be a significant shift around the Heffalump time (as I was beginning
to suspect).

Going by the notes the Heffalump was killed in version 0.060.7-1 and in this
build 'Overdrive' sounds just about identical to the current Zyn. However, from
0.060.8.rc2 to 0.060.8 (final) there is a gradual shift, with the sound becoming
'thinner' and less phasey.

Time permitting (as ever) I'll look at these version more closely to see if I
can find out what is going on - eg. is it the note generation or the effects
that changed (or both).

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk