Re: [yoshimi-user] Different sound in Yoshimi and ZynAddSubFX.

  • From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 21:11:29 +0100

On Thu, 17 Oct 2013 16:55:00 -0400
"Mark D. McCurry" <mark.d.mccurry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 07:32:24PM +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
Until comparatively recently there was still a very large gap between the
two
when running my largeest and complex patch sets. Having today just compiled
the
current version in git, I'm pleased to say that Zyn. seems to have caught
up.
However, it still can't load such a patch set without crashing

That has been fixed the `proper' way in the abs branch which IIRC, you
responded
to the email on that work.

The UI is not completely connected to the changed version of things, so things
might not automatically *look* right at the moment (the branch is at an early
beta at this stage), but the things that are connected are done right under
the
hood.

I remember raising this - it seems a long time ago, so I was surprised to find
it was still an issue in the current version. I don't remember you pointing me
to a different branch. However, if that isn't complete and fully functional
then (with my musician hat on) it isn't a lot of use to me.

My standard workflow is to develop a patch set along with the Rosegarden file
and any other data sources, audio, and finally, build information and date. All
this is put in a project directory carrying the tune title.

One most important feature of this is that any modifications to patches for
that *specific* tune are saved. If I can't load the complete patch set those
modifications would be lost, and I wouldn't be able to continue where I left
off. I do the same with jamin, hydrogen and qsynth if I'm
using them.

Eventually I'll try to grab a good song or two from you as a solid real world
performance metric as the current tests are fairly artificial, though free
time
is at a premium at the moment.

Fine, drop me a line when you're ready, and I'll send you project directories
for what tunes you are interested in.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk