Re: OT: In Praise of Dos-Based Word Processors

  • From: Bill Troop <billtroop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 14:59:37 +0100

At 15/05/2014 13:50, you wrote:
Since my first hard drive (for the NorthStar Horizon) in 1983, hard drive prices have dropped one-million-fold. That's not a guess, it's a calculation based on the $1,000 I paid then for 20 megabytes vs. the $100 you pay now for 2 TB.

That's already a bargain compared to the reported $3500 Apple charged for a 5MB HD, or $700,000 per MB, in 1981. The hard drive was then already 25 years old, so you could get even more impressive factors by delving back to the first manufactured models and adjusting prices.

What about RAM prices? Haven't they followed similar patterns?

Processor operations have been priced in various ways - - would there be illustrations there?