Re: OT: In Praise of Dos-Based Word Processors

  • From: Peter Cassidy <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 07:20:13 -0400

On 5/15/14, 12:50 AM, Harry Binswanger wrote:
> I miss CP/M.
>
>> Wordstar on DOS? I thought the CP/M version was better. I don't
>> suppose anyone has done a CP/M emulator ? ? Not that I would ever go
>> back - - XyWrite is a million times better. Oh, those awful italics
>> in early Wordstar, where you always missed the turn-off code!

Yes, CP/M's elegance and stability is sorely missed. When I first
started running VMWare Fusion on the Macs here, I did find a CP/M image
that I found on the OS directory at VMWare.com. Still, I didn't miss
WordStar's dot commands enough to develop the environment. If someone
developed a browser for CP/M it could be a useful online banking tool as
it would be very likely no criminal organization would bother developing
malware for it.

Peter