Re: LISTDIFF

  • From: Fred Weiner <fw1948@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 19:34:06 -0700

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Carl Distefano <cld@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Quoting Fred Weiner <fw1948@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> The prompt line offered DIFFERENT FILES. Nothing I
>> could see of a comparison, no third window opened. So, the frame did
>> something but didn't let me know the result.
>>

> Quoting Carl Distefano <cld@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> "Different files" means that there weren't enough points of similarity
> between the files or DF blocks to compile a meaningful list of differences.
> To some extent this is driven by quirks in funcs FD (FindDifference) and FM
> (FindMatch), which aren't amenable to tweaking. Try DeFining larger or
> smaller sections of the two files.

I tried a shorter DF block; that again gave "Different Files" on the PR
line. Then went and DFd everything from the first 'TABLE=' to EOF in each
window-adjacent file which did give a new window with the output in the
attached ascii file--I suggest opening it in XyWrite as in another editor
it shows up differently, which is why I haven't copied it directly here
(I'm on a Mac using DosBox).

I tried a number of different positions for the the cursor-then-<HK>
instruction that had appeared on the PR line; all of them loaded the U2
help file, cursor at the frame '{Help,Link,About,XyWWWeb,INF,U2}', nothing
that made sense to me.

Back to you, Carl, and thank you.

FW