Re: DIR not working right

  • From: Bill Troop <billtroop@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 22:37:34 +0100

Harry, you don't say which platform, in this instance, you're running Xy4 from. I had a similar problem when I ran Xy4 under VirtualBox using either W2K or XP as the intermediary. If it hadn't been for that, I would have stayed with VirtualBox. The problem doesn't exist under VMware. I have not yet filed a bug report with VirtualBox.

At 28/05/2014 01:28, you wrote:
Here’s one for puzzle-solvers. I have a directory C:\DB\XFR which has various files in it, e.g, T.PGM.

Xy can deal with that directory, and that file, in most every way­cd to it, etc.­but it cannot do the DIR command (successfully) if I give the full path:

DIR C:\DB\XFR\T.PGM gives “File not found.”

DIR C:\DB\XFR  gives 0 files found

DIR C:\DB  shows all the files, including
XFR    <DIR>

This behavior  occurs regardless of the directory I’m logged into.

But if I log into C:\DB\XFR and do

DIR T.PGM

it finds it. And while in that directory DIR *.* works normally.

So, prepending the path makes DIR fail . . . but only for THIS directory­e.g.. while logged into C:\DB\XY I can successfully do DIR C:\DB\XY\*.* and DIR C:\DB\XY

Incidentally I checked the ATTRIBs and even forced them to be –H, and I renamed the directory (from _XFR), all to no avail.

One more tidbit. If I shell to DOS from Xy, everything is hunky dory, until I exit back to Xy.

Help appreciated.