[Wittrs] [quickphilosophy] Re: An Anscombe Error Regarding Negation?

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 12:03:16 -0000

--- In quickphilosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Brampton
<martin.lists@...> wrote:

> Martin:
> Isn't a musical score much more like an algorithm than a picture? A
> CD is much more like a picture of the sound of a symphony than a
> score is.

An excellent point.

But, then, I never did think that a picture theory of language could  be
workable.  In order for a picture theory to apply to language,  we would
need to be mindless mechanical robots.

Hmm, maybe a better way of putting that: if language fitted a  picture
theory, then it would be impossible to use language to  express theories
of language (such as a picture theory).

Regards,
Neil