[Wittrs] Re: Wittgenstein Before and After

  • From: "SWM" <swmaerske@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 02:40:25 -0000

Sure, I have no problem passing on a discussion if that's what you want. The
only thing then, Sean, is I wonder what's the point of a discussion list like
this concerning Wittgenstein if our competing notions of what his philosophy
was about aren't to be seen as reasonable subjects for discussion.

Like you I prefer not to get into unpleasant arguments, but if we have
differing views on Wittgenstein should we be wary of airing them here? Is there
any reason not to disagree if, in fact, we do disagree on the points and ideas
behind his thinking?

I know that you and I have frequently disagreed on the matter of his philosophy
but that hasn't made us adversaries, has it? Unlike some others we've managed
to remain cordial and friendly toward one another.

But if we can't explore the differences in our thinking on Wittgenstein then I
just don't see the point of posting on a Wittgensteinian list. Call me crazy, I
know, but what else does one do on lists but discuss -- and on a
Wittgensteinian list we should be discussing Wittgenstein, no?

SWM