[Wittrs] The language game of html, again.

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:45:07 -0700 (PDT)

... here it is again. Take a look at this. I saw someone post this to a website:

"If you're going to make fun of economics, at least do it intelligently. (And
yes, I know where I'm posting <sigh>.)"

Note how interesting the use of the computer markup is for an internal sort of
expression: "<sigh>." Why not use the parenthesis (sigh)? It's probably not
because they were already in use -- it's not an order of operations thing.
Brackets or something would have better facilitated that. Rather, it is
something that seeing markup code does to the brain. We're so used to seeing
text, and, behind it, there is some sort of processing language. And so the
person than introduces a play in the language game that uses the new notation
signify a process happening "underneath" the surface level markings.

I just think it is both brilliant and revealing of everything Wittgensteinian.
If Wittgenstein were alive today and would see the inauguration of these sorts
of moves in language culture, he would surely take note of them. As he did,
e.g., the idea of what the thought bubble "said" in comic books as opposed to
the "direct bubble" (or whatever that is called).

I want to suggest quite clearly that there is more of philosophic significance
revealed in this sort of thing than in a thousand years of disputation about
"free will." Why do today's philosophers talk about nothing?

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University