[Wittrs] Re: The Institution of Slavery and the Concept of Free Will

  • From: "SWM" <swmirsky@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 01:37:02 -0000

You make a good point about native Americans, especially since many tribes even
in North America were known to enslave and keep slaves (although there were
differences, naturally, between those practices and the institution of chattel
slavery that grew up in the states, particularly the south after the
Revolution).

On the other issue though, "that until quite recently any western concept of
free will applied only to adult males," I think you are confusing issues of
freedom with those of free will. A slave can have free will just as much as a
non-slave, even if his or her opportunities to exercise it are more
constrained. The notion of free will is not equivalent to the notion of freedom
(which, itself, may have several different meanings, e.g., political freedom,
economic freedom, personal freedom).

SWM