[Wittrs] Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Consciousness

  • From: Justintruth <truth.justin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:07:19 -0800 (PST)

I want to state as clearly as I can why I think a new physical
principle is required if we are to call awareness physical:

1a) We have agreed to describe my awareness as physical.
1b) It is the job of physics to describe what we agree to call
physical.
1c) Therefore physics should describe my awareness.

2a) A description of the motion of particles is not a description of
awareness.
2b) Physics is only a description of the motion of particles. (Using a
version of classical physics as a first order approximation)
2c) Therefore physics does not describe my awareness.

1c) Physics should describe my awareness
2c) Physics does not describe my awareness
3c) Physics needs to be modified to include a description of
awareness.

Which statement(s) do you disagree with?

I note that you have recommended that I read some things.