[Wittrs] Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Consciousness

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:45:06 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

>> An assembly of particles never becomes aware. No new physical
>> principle is required.

> I think you're wrong on that Neil and that Justintruth has it right,
> at least as far as this goes. If it is not something physical that
> is aware, what do you propose it is that is aware instead? And if
> it is something physical, what better description than "an assembly
> of particles"?

The particles that today are part of my body will, in 6 months time,
have been dispersed around the world.  Yet I expect that I will still
exist.  So clearly, I am not an assembly of particles. Perhaps I am an
assembly of biochemical processes, though I think the term "assembly" is
misplaced there.  Maybe "an organized system of processes" would be a
better description.

Regards,
Neil