[Wittrs] Re: Language games, html, and the Varieties of Nonsense

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:46:50 -0700 (PDT)

Walter writes: "It's not the sincerity and honesty that concerns me--it's the
certainty of being correct.  Especially, where the knowledge of what these
other
sorely "lacking" individuals actually believed and wrote is so slight.  Pretty
much everybody thinks he/she is right about pretty much everything.  What
matters are the arguments. Otherwise, it's just religion."

... I'm not sure I follow. The lacking individuals actually believed and wrote
slightly. Therefore, the feeling of certainty that one has about them being
"lacking" concerns you? This is because they would be misunderstood?

Let me try to clear this up.

The issue here are those in philosophy who base their energies around topics
like "free will." (and many others like this). To Wittgensteinians, this is as
pointless as catholics and protestants arguing to each other about who is
right.
Or, those who argue whether we have souls. And the reason why many in
philosophy
cannot see the insignificance of these "debates" is that they have not
progressed sufficiently to understand Wittgensteinian ideas. Now, the issue
becomes this: how do you show this?

"Arguments" (as such) can't the the vehicle, because it assumes that each
person's ability is equal in this respect, and that the matter lays itself out
like mathematics might. The whole grammar of "argument" suggests that any
person
can be shown a mistake in premises, in logic, in proof, etc. -- and that this
would resolve the whole thing. In point of fact, however, all it does is cause
the thing to go on indefinitely. All it does is cause the next round of
formalized allegiances. All it does is perpetuate the meaningless ritual of
disputation.

Instead, the method has to change. The method changes to something closer to
aesthetics than to math. You don't ask: are the premises right? You ask, how
refined is the perspective? All philosophies are perspectival in some respect
--
including analytic philosophy. And the dismissing of certain pointless pursuits
is not unlike the dismissing that occurs in art and literature with respect to

I want to say: one who learns symbolic logic learns the art of shoveling. One
who learns Wittgenstein learns the art of dance.

In truth, Walter, the only way that ordinary minds can see the insights of
Wittgenstein is through sessions wherein the pointless philosophic noise of
certain conversations reduce themselves to EXAMPLES. All philosophic work is
done "on the ground." Now, if you want, give us an example (a hypothetical)
that
shows where and how the free will problem presents any issue at all for
philosophy or for science. I'll put you on the therapy clock if you wish. I'll
try, once again, to show you that ghosts are pointless and that the church-club
ethics you espouse is really only a way to protect your properties from
invasion.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor