[Wittrs] Re: How the brain does C

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:20:07 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>
> > What I am getting at is answering the question of how brains do it.
>
> Does consciousness, that is. If by "does", you mean the critical brain
> parts, the sequence of the firing, and the chemistry of that moment, and
> you want to discuss the same on this list, then copy/paste the latest.
> I'd love to read it.

We've already seen that there's lots of research on this and I've already
copy/pasted information from Edelman, Hawkins, Ramachandran and Dehaene here.
The last two are certainly researchers while the first two are theorists who
aim to explain and guide the research. How much more copying and pasting do you
think is required to resolve our differences on this?

> But I rather doubt that these papers will even
> mention Dualism.

The problem with dualism is it's a picture that colors our views in some cases.
But I am certain that empirical researchers aren't too dependent on the dualist
picture. They aren't the locus of the problem clinging to that picture kicks up.

> So your task, if you are up to it, is to show how these
> neurological findings bear on the philosophical debate so dear to Searle
> and Dennett.
>
> bruce

See my past transcriptions onto this list and Analytics of:

Edelman
Hawkins
Ramachandran
Dehaene