[Wittrs] Re: Dennett's Intentional Stance

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 01:44:48 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> Funny, but Searle offers a theory of Intentionality which involves
> intrinsic and derived intentionality.

Agreed.  But it is a philosophical theory, not a scientific theory.
And, in my opinion, it leaves intentionality as a mystery.

> On the contrary: It is a mystery for Dennett how to account for
> intrinsic intentionality.

Dennett does give an account which could, in principle, be  implemented
in an AI system.  So Dennett is not making it a mystery.  Of course
there is a question as to whether Dennett's account  actually works, and
personally I am doubtful.

The above is a response to message 3976
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wittrs/message/3976> .

> Ps. Is it okay to leave the rest below ...

Sean would have to give the official answer.  I prefer to see it
trimmed out.  The previous message can be cited for the benefit of
anyone who wants to see it in full.

Regards,
Neil