[Wittrs] Re: [C] Avuncular v. Elitist Wittgenstein -- Part I

  • From: John Phillip DeMouy <jpdemouy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 04:39:34 -0400

I have never claimed to be a professor of philosophy and in fact
privately told you that I am not, when you'd mentioned crediting me on
some work you were doing, re: names and descriptions.  (My knowledge of
that private exchange ought to dispel any doubts as to my being the same
individual, by the way.) I do not know who is responsible for the claim
on the wiki but it is mistaken.  When you once speculated that I was a
professor of symbolic logic, I said that I'd been accused of far worse
and on better evidence.  That's as close as I came to claiming any
credentials, i.e. not close at all.

As for my style being different, I cannot comment.  I cannot help
wondering if this is an attempt to create some distraction.  In any
case, I am not interested in such games.  And my posts should stand or
fall on their content, not my posting history or my credentials.
Particularly since I have never claimed expertise, authority, or
insight.

Any insights I may have to offer deserve to be judged on the basis of
whether or not they actually are insights, not on any claim I might make
to being insightful.  If they are insights, then it matters not whether
I am generally an insightful person or if my occasional insight is an
aberration, a fluke.  And if they are not insights, then whether or not
I have a track record of being insightful will not redeem them.  Of
course, whether or not they are insights is for others to decide, taking
or leaving whatever they see fit.

Whether or not I am regarded as insightful (or perhaps posing as someone
who had been so regarded, as your peculiar remarks seem to insinuate I
might be) is quite irrelevant to such discussions, as nothing I say
rests of any claim to any sort of special insight anyway.

As for the rest of your remarks, I'll agree to disagree.

The Wittgenstein quotations are all quite familiar to me, though I now
wonder about your position on the legitimacy or illegitimacy of quoting
Culture & Value.  But no matter.

I am well aware that at various times, Wittgenstein drew out
similarities between his work and poetry.  He also drew out similarities
between his work and anthropology, natural history, formal logic, art
criticism, psychotherapy, and other fields.  Each of these sheds light
on different aspects of the work.  I am also well aware that
Wittgenstein at various times reflected upon the difficulty of being
understood, commented on the role of the will and of other faculties, as
well as the intellect, in grasping new ideas.  I have disputed none of
this.

I am furthermore aware that people on occasion speak in generalities
about the typical attitudes, aptitudes, and habits of thought of people
in various fields and so forth.  And that some of such generalizations
are may be applicable in a great many cases.  I would also note,
however, that in one of the remarks you quote, Wittgenstein places an
emphasis on training and practice, not talent.  And having himself
trained early on to be a mathematician, he would hardly of suggested
that mathematicians were, simply in virtue of being mathematicians,
unsuited to the task.

How much of Remarks on the Foundations of Mathematics have you read?
How much of Lectures on the Foundations of Mathematics?  Surely, his
frequent use of formal argument cannot count as evidence that he was
incapable of such insights as you emphasize.  So why the presumption
that others who emphasize formal argument must necessarily be lacking
some talent or gift?  No doubt, some are.  But the idea that using
formal methods, in and of itself, is evidence for this would call
Wittgenstein's own gifts into question as well.

Furthermore, formal methods are also deployed extensively in
Philosophical Grammar.  You are on record as arguing, on the basis of
the "numbus of philosophy" quotation, against my position that this work
is part of what should still be called a transitional period in his
work.  Since you regard this as being later Wittgenstein, what's with
the formalism?  Assuming that a central point of the later Wittgenstein
is the rejection of formalism?

You are quite correct in observing that there is "no point" in your
raising the issue of the title of Wittgenstein's classes.  His using
simply "Philosophy" for his classes but not for his work might have many
interpretations but the former choice in no way discredits his argument
for the latter one, viz. that his work is but a small fragment of
Philosophy.

In any event, my central point has nothing to do with avuncularity,
elitism, bedside manner, or any other such stylistic concerns.  My
central point is that the plurality of methods in philosophy ought to be
respected and that, if a particular method is judged to be unsound, this
claim ought to be supported by means other than the presumption that
those who use them simply lack the ability to use better methods or
relying on lumping other methods together under some broad rubric that
fails to even make distinctions among them which would permit reasoned
critique.

Anyway, I do hope you actually will respond to the substance of my
remarks, rather than continuing to dwell on a handful of - perhaps
ill-chosen - words that bothered you.  In particular, I'd appreciate
some real thought given to the issues I raised as to the receptiveness
of people who could be represented as different interlocutors in
Wittgenstein's dialectics.

And perhaps you might even consider that Gettier, whom you cited as an
example of "bad" philosophy, was in fact Wittgensteinian in his aim.
And that the problems he raised about the received account of
"knowledge" in fact served a role much like the second voice in the
three-voiced form, the voice that raises problems that trouble the
claims of the first voice, which in turn open the door to the sort of
clarification the third voice is then able to offer.

I believe this example - an example you once chose, ironically -
admirably illustrates my position as to the value of a plurality of
methods and the perniciousness of making assumptions about a thinker's
understanding solely based upon the methods they employ.