[Wittrs] Re: A New Bizarre Claim

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:09:48 -0000

> SWM wrote:
>
>  >Joseph Polanik wrote:
>
>  >>the meaning of 'identity' that is consistent with the is of
>  >>constitution (and, often, with claims of constitution not using 'is')
>  >>is not identical to the meaning of 'identity' that is consistent with
>  >>Leibniz's Law.
>

>  >That's certainly true but the idea of "conceptually true" is dependent
>  >on the notion of logical identity (a thing is the same as itself).
>

> what is the basis of your claim that "the idea of 'conceptually true' is
> dependent on the notion of logical identity"?
>
> Joe

Some good places to start:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_conceptual_truth

A conceptual truth is one that is true by definition. That a bachelor is an
unmarried male is a conceptual truth.

http://www.philosophy.ox.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/1303/Conceptual.pdf

"How do we know that vixens are female foxes? Such questions tend to receive
short shrift. We are told that it is a conceptual truth that vixens are female
foxes, or that it is conceptually impossible for something to be a vixen
without being a female fox, or that being a vixen has conceptual connections to
being female and being a fox. In unfashionable terminology, `Vixens are female
foxes' is said to be analytic. What, if anything, do such responses mean? How,
if at all, do they answer the original question?

"Since it is a boring triviality that vixens are female foxes, one might wonder
how much those questions matter. Yet human reasoning is riddled with steps like
those from `vixen' to `female' and `fox'. Many are equally trivial, but more
significant steps of reasoning have been assimilated to the trivial ones: for
example, basic inferences in deductive logic, characteristic moves in
philosophical argument, and fundamental inferences involving theoretical terms
in natural science have all been treated as somehow built into the concepts or
the meanings of the words at issue, and as backed by conceptual or analytic
truths with a status not fundamentally different from that of `Vixens are
female foxes'."