[C] [Wittrs] When The New Wittgenstein Arrived

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:37:55 -0800 (PST)

Because Stuart has on many occasions on this list proclaimed, falsely, that the
Blue and Brown Books represent Wittgenstein in a transitional period between
Tractarian thought and Philosophical Investigations, I thought I would take a
few moments to hopefully see such erroneous information stop. I believe this
sentence here is the latest incarnation of something completely false:

"[Stuart said:] ... the Blue Book reflects his transitional phase and is only
the result of notes taken in his classes by some of his students. At least the
Brown Book had the merit of being supervised and corrected by him with an eye
toward possible publication. I don't think we can take anything said in the
Blue Book as dispositive for Wittgenstein's ideas. It is, at best, helpful and
somewhat indicative of where he was going."

In point of fact, the only "transitional" work offered by Wittgenstein is known
today as Philosophical Remarks, reflecting his thoughts during the period of
1929-1930. This manuscript was generated so he could continue to receive a
stipend to lecture at Cambridge, something he had only been doing 1 year
before. He had to present the ideas to Russell so Russell could vouch for
Wittgenstein's continued funding by the college. It is this work that is,
paradoxically, most Kantian while it is also seemingly-most verificationist.
(See Ray Monk, 292).

The next typescript that begins to circulate is something known as
Philosophical Grammar, and arises from something called "the Big Typescript."
It was dictated in 1932 from remarks Wittgenstein made in notebooks from
1930-1932. It is here where Wittgenstein launches ideas more squarely
considered "latter-Wittgensteinian." You will note that all of these ideas are
the ones he's showing his students as he teaches in this time span.

As Wittgenstein continued to lecture in Cambridge, he came across a problem in
1933. His classes were too popular. He had 30 to 40 people turning up. He only
liked very small groups. So he came up with an interesting invention. He
decided to lecture to a core group of students, who were then instructed to
copy and deliver the notes to the others. He used 5 of his best students who
made duplicate notes of each performance. (Note I do mean "performance"). The
duplicated notes were bound in Blue Covers and represented lectures from
1933-34. Ray Monk characterizes this bound presentation as a "prototype" (p.
337). (Note: imagine a new design for a car. The first one is the prototype.
Then, from that, you generate the first line).

In the subsequent term, 1934-35, Wittgenstein dictated the Brown Book. This was
sort of like a field manual for his new technique. One almost wants to say it
is a "how to" text for a new sort of craft. The book begins by showing the
method of a language game and then its application. Or as Wittgenstein said,
"the way in which I think the whole stuff should be handled." (p.346). There is
absolutely no indication that the Brown Book was meant to be published. It was,
as I have said, only a sort of field manual for his students, showing the new
technique.

In the first two months of 1937 -- and perhaps the last one or two of 36 --
Wittgenstein wrote the first 188 paragraphs of Philosophical Investigations
(they are the same exact remarks as today). He came very close to publishing
those remarks in 1938, but backed out.

So, we cannot say that the Blue Books are "transitional." They are as much a
catalog of the events of New Wittgensteiniams as are Culture and Value, The
first 188 paragraphs of PI, the latter portions of PI and philosophy of
psychology that develop years later, the substantial portion of On Certainty
that is vigorously written over the last few months of his life, etc. etc. If
there is anything in "later Wittgensteinian" which is truly "transitory"
between Tractarian thought -- and therefore has material that
might fundamentally need reoriented -- it is the work he prepared for Russell
to continue his funding in 1930. It was here, in Philosophical Remarks, that we
see the Tractarian Wittgenstein beginning to sprout new wings.

Thanks and regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University