[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 64

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 5 Dec 2009 11:07:09 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (12 Messages)

Messages

1.

Going Deeper (Wittgenstein & Religious Belief - Martin's Take)

Posted by: "SWM" swmaerske@xxxxxxxxx   swmaerske

Fri Dec 4, 2009 9:09 am (PST)

Having some web access problems today and unable to secure support to resolve so I may be limited in my comments and responses here. Nevertheless, the last exchange with J has left me thinking that rather than speak in generalities we ought to get down to the nitty gritty of Martin's critique.

Recap:

When last we touched on this, J had asserted that Martin's basic criticism is wrongheaded because he claims Wittgenstein's basic comments are non-controversial in which case, per Martin, they have no implications of note for the discussion.

J retorted that it is Wittgenstein's core technique to make only non-controversial statements and to avoid argumentation. Thus it is not a criticism of Wittgenstein to take him to task for only doing what he says he does and which, he has shown in his other work, is philosophically useful. It's just not arguing.

I replied that there is a difference in the types of non-controversiality referenced. In works like On Certainty, for instance, Wittgenstein shows, through example and analysis, how the way we speak reflects and implies various underlying ideas which we hold for reasons that have nothing to do with sound argumentation or even evidenciary support. Though such statements often look like ordinary empirical claims or claims supported by logical argument, in fact they are not like them at all. They are, as he puts it, like the hinges on a door, without which the door (or a whole class of other statements we make) don't work. This is a subtle point though, when pointed out to us (and we get it) seems pretty obvious. It may seem less obvious, though, as to whether the hinge role is enough to enable us to assert such claims. Here is where a great deal of the subtlety occurs.

On the other hand, I pointed out, Martin is saying that the non-controversiality in the interpretation of Wittgenstein's words that is possible renders those words of little use in understanding relgious belief. Thus while being controversial is a factor in both instances they mean different things in the two cases.

I took the following from page 5 of the Martin piece:

"[Wittgenstein] also holds religious beliefs are not based on evidence. He maintains, 'we don't talk about hypothesis, or about high probability. Nor about knowing' with respect to religious belief. Christianity 'doesn't rest on an historical basis' and beliefs concerning it 'are not treated as historical, empirical propositions'.[10] Wittgenstein wants true religious belief to be distinguished from superstition. Commenting on Father O'Hara's attempt to offer scientific arguments he remarks, 'if this is religious belief, then it is superstition', and he then says of O'Hara, 'here is a man who is cheating himself'.[11]

"How are these last passages to be understood? Is Wittgenstein suggesting that if religious belief is based on evidence it is an inferior type; perhaps not really religious belief at all but superstition? We are not told how many religious people have superstitious belief in this sense but my guess is that the number would be very large. Many Christian fundamentalists both past and present rely on what they take to be evidence for their beliefs -- for example, Biblical miracles -- and many sophisticated believers from 17th and 18th Century Deists to the contemporary philosopher of religion Richard Swinburne,[12] have based or do base their religious views on evidential considerations. To dismiss all of these views as superstition is surely not to be very sensitive to the varieties of religious belief. One can, of course, stipulate that religious belief based on evidence is superstition, but I would not think that this is how 'superstition' is normally used nor that it is terribly helpful in understanding religious belief. Moreover, since the third Session of the First Vatican Council of 1870, it has been one dogma of the Catholic Church that God's existence can be proven by the natural light of reason and another that the Christian religion can be proven by the evidence of miracles.[13] Would this view also be characterized by Wittgenstein as superstition? If so, then, according to him, the religion of approximately 950 million people is based on superstition. Perhaps it is. However, one would suppose that in order to show this one would need to examine the arguments given for the existence of God and the alleged miracles that are used by the Church to support its claims. It is surely not enough simply to point out that the Church appeals to evidence and arguments to show that Catholicism is based on superstition. On the other hand, if Wittgenstein's point is simply that some religious belief based on evidence is inferior and amounts to superstition, then who would deny it?"

In the above, Martin makes the case that Wittgenstein's characterization of religious belief in the quote addressing the named priest, Father O'Hara, does not seem to be a fair way of describing a very large class of religious beliefs. If this Father O'Hara's judgement about what he believes is all that's being challenged by Wittgenstein, it's not very significant unless it is generalized to a much larger set of cases. But Martin's argument suggests that such a generalization breaks down when you consider the facts. Thus either Wittgenstein's assessment of this kind of thinking is not as broadly applicable as one might initially suppose or, if it's intended to be broadly applicable, then it looks to be factually wrong.

I would just also note, in passing, that the quotes attributed to Wittgenstein above, clearly have him stating that Christianity "doesn't rest on an historical basis" and, Martin adds, its beliefs "are not treated as historical, empirical propositions". Insofar as these statements are indicative of Wittgenstein's position on the subject, they do suggest the idea that I have attributed to him, namely that religious beliefs are not held in the same manner as we hold scientific beliefs. If the latter are held based on evidence and argument, the former, which are not (because to do so, as Father O'Hara does, is to fall into superstition) do not fit that mold and are therefore empty of such belief assertions.

We can proceed from here (though I will probably need to restore more robust Internet access before I can participate more fully -- getting this post up has been hell!).

SWM

2.

introducing new and old members

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Fri Dec 4, 2009 9:36 am (PST)

... don't know if anyone is interested in this, but there is a special place on the message board to introduce (and describe) yourself. I've been trying to catch new members when I can. We've just had 2 or 3 of these mails. But I notice that many old and "middle" members and missing. If you want the message board to have a little something that describes you, feel free to send a little description. I'll put it in the right place. (Purely voluntary)

http://seanwilson.org/forum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=18&S=562687f92ffcc8fe62bb4cb739b7ad54

Regards ...

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html

3.

Short Bio for an Older List Participant - S. W. Mirsky

Posted by: "wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fri Dec 4, 2009 1:07 pm (PST)

I'm a retired municipal bureaucrat whose last position was running the logistical operations of a major Northeast American city agency (Assistant Commissioner for Operations). I came up through the ranks, not by political appointment, and served in a variety of city and state agencies in increasingly responsible positions (once my wife pointed out that I'd better stop ditzing around and get serious about earning some money for our growing family).

I had entered college with the intention of becoming a writer but discovered philosophy and Wittgenstein along the way and, by the time I left, I was more interested in the latter than in writing fiction. In my early married years I did try to make a go of the writing but my heart wasn't really in it by then and, when my wife pushed me to start wearing suits and ties and looking for promotions on the job, I gave the writing up entirely.

In late 2002, I took early retirement after a series of intensive years on the job (in 2001 I was part of our city's response to the terrorist attacks of September 11th) with the intention of returning to writing. I had previously written and published an historical novel about Vikings and Indians in 11th century North America (in 1998 during a period of bureaucratic downtime). The surprisingly good reception it got led me to think I could make a go of it as a writer after all -- and besides, the city I worked for was offering a rather attractive early retirement package.

After stepping down, my interest in philosophy also revived and I became increasingly involved in lists like these. I've participated on generic philosophy lists since 2003 as well as lists dealing with more specific areas including Popper's Critical Rationalism, Direct Reference Theory, Wittgenstein, and Artificial Intelligence. My main philosophical interests at the moment revolve around questions of mind and consciousness. I've also written another book (the true story of a fifteen year old Holocaust survivor) and am working on a new novel (also history based) with varying degrees of success at the moment. I write a bi-weekly column for several of our local newspapers dealing with social and political issues and I'm a former martial artist (2nd degree black belt in karate though too far over the hill now to wear that belt I'm afraid).

My philosophical background includes periods of being enamoured with logical positivism, Berkeleyan idealism, Humean skepticism, linguistic analysis and, of course, Wittgenstein. In my post college years I was also deeply involved with Buddhism.

SWM

4.

When The New Wittgenstein Arrived

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Fri Dec 4, 2009 2:38 pm (PST)

Because Stuart has on many occasions on this list proclaimed, falsely, that the Blue and Brown Books represent Wittgenstein in a transitional period between Tractarian thought and Philosophical Investigations, I thought I would take a few moments to hopefully see such erroneous information stop. I believe this sentence here is the latest incarnation of something completely false:

"[Stuart said:] ... the Blue Book reflects his transitional phase and is only the result of notes taken in his classes by some of his students. At least the Brown Book had the merit of being supervised and corrected by him with an eye toward possible publication. I don't think we can take anything said in the Blue Book as dispositive for Wittgenstein's ideas. It is, at best, helpful and somewhat indicative of where he was going."

In point of fact, the only "transitional" work offered by Wittgenstein is known today as Philosophical Remarks, reflecting his thoughts during the period of 1929-1930. This manuscript was generated so he could continue to receive a stipend to lecture at Cambridge, something he had only been doing 1 year before. He had to present the ideas to Russell so Russell could vouch for Wittgenstein's continued funding by the college. It is this work that is, paradoxically, most Kantian while it is also seemingly-most verificationist. (See Ray Monk, 292).

The next typescript that begins to circulate is something known as Philosophical Grammar, and arises from something called "the Big Typescript." It was dictated in 1932 from remarks Wittgenstein made in notebooks from 1930-1932. It is here where Wittgenstein launches ideas more squarely considered "latter-Wittgensteinian." You will note that all of these ideas are the ones he's showing his students as he teaches in this time span.

As Wittgenstein continued to lecture in Cambridge, he came across a problem in 1933. His classes were too popular. He had 30 to 40 people turning up. He only liked very small groups. So he came up with an interesting invention. He decided to lecture to a core group of students, who were then instructed to copy and deliver the notes to the others. He used 5 of his best students who made duplicate notes of each performance. (Note I do mean "performance"). The duplicated notes were bound in Blue Covers and represented lectures from 1933-34. Ray Monk characterizes this bound presentation as a "prototype" (p. 337). (Note: imagine a new design for a car. The first one is the prototype. Then, from that, you generate the first line).

In the subsequent term, 1934-35, Wittgenstein dictated the Brown Book. This was sort of like a field manual for his new technique. One almost wants to say it is a "how to" text for a new sort of craft. The book begins by showing the method of a language game and then its application. Or as Wittgenstein said, "the way in which I think the whole stuff should be handled." (p.346). There is absolutely no indication that the Brown Book was meant to be published. It was, as I have said, only a sort of field manual for his students, showing the new technique.

In the first two months of 1937 -- and perhaps the last one or two of 36 -- Wittgenstein wrote the first 188 paragraphs of Philosophical Investigations (they are the same exact remarks as today). He came very close to publishing those remarks in 1938, but backed out.

So, we cannot say that the Blue Books are "transitional." They are as much a catalog of the events of New Wittgensteiniams as are Culture and Value, The first 188 paragraphs of PI, the latter portions of PI and philosophy of psychology that develop years later, the substantial portion of On Certainty that is vigorously written over the last few months of his life, etc. etc. If there is anything in "later Wittgensteinian" which is truly "transitory" between Tractarian thought -- and therefore has material that might fundamentally need reoriented -- it is the work he prepared for Russell to continue his funding in 1930. It was here, in Philosophical Remarks, that we see the Tractarian Wittgenstein beginning to sprout new wings.

Thanks and regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html

5a.

Re: Commentary: The Stuart-Bruce Debate

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fri Dec 4, 2009 4:34 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

> 1. that experiencable phenomena is identical to measurable phenomena
or
> that it can be reduced to measurable phenomena; or,
>
> 2. that experiencable phenomena can not be reduced to measurable
> phenomena even though experiencable phenomena is derived from
measurable
> phenomena.
>
> [to me, the first options sounds like a the mind-brain identity theory
> while the second sounds like property dualism.]

I would like to go along with this. It is well put. Then I think: a- all
phenomena are experienced, b - all experiences can be measured (in some
manner) and c- no set measurements exhaust the possibility of what can
be measured. Therefore, what we experience cannot be reduced to the
measurements, whether dreams or sparrows.

> there are other possibilities as well. one might theorize that we are
> not capable of understanding the relation between measurable phenomena
> and experiencable phenomena. [mysterianism]

I see nothing mysterious in the fact that descriptions are infinite.

However, I do agree that the relationship between my brain and my
experience can seem mysterious, especially if I try to think of it as
originating in the brain. I've try to argue, not terribly successfully,
that theories of origin, whether of matter or mind, are at the border of
what we can know and that can be seen as an unsolvable mystery.

bruce

5b.

Re: Commentary: The Stuart-Bruce Debate

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fri Dec 4, 2009 5:06 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> That's probably because you're still hanging onto that rigid account
of causality you have previously insisted on.

Sometimes rigidity is helpful, sometimes not. Pick a causal account that
comes as close to what you mean when you say "brain causes mind"....

> On the wetness-of-water model there is no reason to think one could
not say of an experience
> that it is an aspect of the workings, at a deeper (a purely physical)
level, of a given brain activity

As I wrote in a related Post, any object can yield any number of
descriptions. But I've never heard of an object having the property of
"experience", whether the object is stationary or in flux. Why? Because
"experience" isn't a property like size, color, and weight, but what a
person has. A person finds the water wet. Even if the wetness is an
aspect of the brain activity, you still need the person to notice the
signals from his brain.

This doesn't have to do with the use of words but what does or doesn't
make sense. Which is not to say that we you do not, but, rather, I
cannot, make sense of what you've said.

bruce

6.1.

Re: SWM's physical  and creation

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fri Dec 4, 2009 5:20 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> Not all objects are physical.

Sure. Aren't we talking about the brain, a physical object? Even if we
are talking about electrical flow, that too is physical. And, yes, a
wheel turning is physical. Is the turning itself physical? Yes, as it
moves in space.

Now the "object of my desire" is and is not physical. She is, if we mean
her physical body. But "the way she moves" doesn't refer to the
displacement of her limbs in space-time. No one else may see it. The
workings of my imagination, not physical.

> Just because minds aren't physical objects doesn't mean they are not
part of the physical universe

makes no sense. Is it you just what to call any noun physical?

> they ARE physical in the causal sense, i.e., that it is physical
phenomena that cause their occurrence, bring them about!

That's circular. First you have to show "how" mind is caused. You keep
on pointing out that we can say "that it is caused." I stimulate your
brain and remember mama. Cool. But how? You say a "physical platform."
But that is just more matter. It's the transition that's the rub,

> Another way of seeing this confusion is to recognize that involves
thinking that mind,
> if it is not a physical object, must be utterly separate from physical
objects.

Yes, to see mind as a "separate thing" is quite confusing. But if one
sees "mind" as a way of looking at a thing", the way we see a painting
in the paint, then the confusion abates.

> Remove your brain or shut it off and poof, no more Bruce!

Shows THAT brain is critical but doesn't show "how" it is related to
mind. Surely, this demonstration isn't, in itself, evidence for
causation.

> Go tell it to researchers like Dehaene

When I get a chance. Thanks for the prompt.

bruce

6.2.

Re: Duhaene

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fri Dec 4, 2009 5:31 pm (PST)

Some Summaries of Duhaene's work

We used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and event-related
potentials (ERPs) to visualize the cerebral processing of unseen masked
words. Within the areas associated with conscious reading, masked words
activated left extrastriate, fusiform and precentral areas. Furthermore,
masked words reduced the amount of activation evoked by a subsequent
conscious presentation of the same word. In the left fusiform gyrus,
this repetition suppression phenomenon was independent of whether the
prime and target shared the same case, indicating that case-independent
information about letter strings was extracted unconsciously. In
comparison to an unmasked situation, however, the activation evoked by
masked words was drastically reduced and was undetectable in prefrontal
and parietal areas, correlating with participants' inability to report
the masked words.

In the phenomenon of attentional blink, identical visual stimuli are
sometimes fully perceived and sometimes not detected at all. This
phenomenon thus provides an optimal situation to study the fate of
stimuli not consciously perceived and the differences between conscious
and nonconscious processing. We correlated behavioral visibility ratings
and recordings of event-related potentials to study the temporal
dynamics of access to consciousness. Intact early potentials (P1 and N1)
were evoked by unseen words, suggesting that these brain events are not
the primary correlates of conscious perception. However, we observed a
rapid divergence around 270 ms, after which several brain events were
evoked solely by seen words. Thus, we suggest that the transition toward
access to consciousness relates to the optional triggering of a late
wave of activation that spreads through a distributed network of
cortical association areas.

This introductory chapter attempts to clarify the philosophical,
empirical, and theoretical bases on which a cognitive neuroscience
approach to consciousness can be founded. We isolate three major
empirical observations that any theory of consciousness should
incorporate, namely (1) a considerable amount of processing is possible
without consciousness, (2) attention is a prerequisite of consciousness,
and (3) consciousness is required for some specific cognitive tasks,
including those that require durable information maintenance, novel
combinations of operations, or the spontaneous generation of intentional
behavior. We then propose a theoretical framework that synthesizes those
facts: the hypothesis of a global neuronal workspace. This framework
postulates that, at any given time, many modular cerebral networks are
active in parallel and process information in an unconscious manner. An
information becomes conscious, however, if the neural population that
represents it is mobilized by top-down attentional amplification into a
brain-scale state of coherent activity that involves many neurons
distributed throughout the brain. The long-distance connectivity of
these 'workspace neurons' can, when they are active for a minimal
duration, make the information available to a variety of processes
including perceptual categorization, long-term memorization, evaluation,
and intentional action. We postulate that this global availability of
information through the workspace is what we subjectively experience as
a conscious state. A complete theory of consciousness should explain why
some cognitive and cerebral representations can be permanently or
temporarily inaccessible to consciousness, what is the range of possible
conscious contents, how they map onto specific cerebral circuits, and
whether a generic neuronal mechanism underlies all of them. We confront
the workspace model with those issues and identify novel experimental
predictions. Neurophysiological, anatomical, and brain-imaging data
strongly argue for a major role of prefrontal cortex, anterior
cingulate, and the areas that connect to them, in creating the
postulated brain-scale workspace.
************************************************************************\
********************

Is the above supportive, consistent, or at odds with a causal account of
brain/mind?

Can one make sense out of this work by thinking of the brain as
instrument one uses (not just the immediate conscious self), as one uses
ones hands and eyes?

bruce

7.

Thought and its experiments

Posted by: "void" rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx   rgoteti

Fri Dec 4, 2009 8:59 pm (PST)

Philosophical Investigations is unique in its approach to philosophy. A typical philosophical text presents a philosophical problem, summarizes and critiques various alternative approaches to solving it, presents its own approach, and then argues in favour of that approach. In contrast, Wittgenstein's book treats philosophy as an activity, rather along the lines of Socrates's famous method of maieutics; he has the reader work through various problems, participating actively in the investigation. Rather than presenting a philosophical problem and its solution, Wittgenstein engages in a dialogue, where he provides a thought experiment (a hypothetical example or situation), describes how one might be inclined to think about it, and then shows why that inclination suffers from conceptual confusion. The following is an excerpt from the first entry in the book that exemplifies this method:
...think of the following use of language: I send someone shopping. I give him a slip marked 'five red apples'. He takes the slip to the shopkeeper, who opens the drawer marked 'apples', then he looks up the word 'red' in a table and finds a colour sample opposite it; then he says the series of cardinal numbers?I assume that he knows them by heart?up to the word 'five' and for each number he takes an apple of the same colour as the sample out of the drawer.?It is in this and similar ways that one operates with words?"But how does he know where and how he is to look up the word 'red' and what he is to do with the word 'five'?" Well, I assume that he 'acts' as I have described. Explanations come to an end somewhere.?But what is the meaning of the word 'five'? No such thing was in question here, only how the word 'five' is used.[2]
This example is typical of the book's style. We can see each of the steps in Wittgenstein's method:
The reader is presented with a thought experiment: someone sent shopping with an order on a slip.
Wittgenstein articulates what the reader's or his interlocutor's reaction may be. He usually puts these statements in quotes to distinguish them from his own: "But how does he know where and how he is to look up the word 'red' and what he is to do with the word 'five'?" Often Wittgenstein also signifies an interlocutor's response by beginning with a long dash, as he does before the interlocutor's last remark above: ?But what is the meaning of the word 'five'?
Wittgenstein shows why the reader's reaction was misguided: No such thing was in question here, only how the word 'five' is used.
Wittgenstein also uses the rhetorical device of framing many of the remarks as a dialogue between himself and a disputant. For example, Remark 258 proposes a thought experiment in which a certain sensation is associated with the sign S written in a calendar. He then sets up a dialogue in which the disputant offers a series of ways of defining S, and he meets each with a suitable objection, so drawing the conclusion that in such a case there is no right definition of S.
Through such thought experiments, Wittgenstein attempts to get the reader to come to certain philosophical conclusions independently; he does not simply argue in favor of his own conclusions. These approaches can be very effective and rewarding, but it can also make Wittgenstein's philosophy difficult to grasp.
Philosophical investigations
Ludwig

Extracted from Wikipedia

8.

seeing that vs seeing as

Posted by: "void" rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx   rgoteti

Fri Dec 4, 2009 9:14 pm (PST)

In addition to ambiguous sentences, Wittgenstein discussed figures which can be seen and understood in two different ways. Often one can see something in a straightforward way ? seeing that it is a rabbit, perhaps. But, at other times, one notices a particular aspect ? seeing it as something.
An example Wittgenstein uses is the "duckrabbit", a picture that can be seen as either a duck or a rabbit.[28] When one looks at the duck-rabbit and sees a rabbit, one is not interpreting the picture as a rabbit, but rather reporting what one sees. One just sees the picture as a rabbit. But what occurs when one sees it first as a duck, then as a rabbit? As the gnomic remarks in the Investigations indicate, Wittgenstein isn't sure. However, he is sure that it could not be the case that the external world stays the same while an 'internal' cognitive change takes place.

Ludwig
extracted from Wikipedia

Seer - seen - seeing.This trio manufactured in language.These three elements travel in their own created space thus to fabricate an object to enable one to move towards that object defined.
It is very clear that language is virtual like a computer.Story of triangle is language.Entire human movement is in between these three points.

thank you
sekhar

9a.

Re: Wittgenstein on Religion and Dispute

Posted by: "Kirby" kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx

Fri Dec 4, 2009 10:55 pm (PST)

--- In WittrsAMR@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <swmaerske@...> wrote:

> --- In WittrsAMR@yahoogroups.com, "J" <wittrsamr@> wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > Perhaps Martin ought to read and really consider, take seriously, PI 89-133, especially
> >
> > 128. If one tried to advance theses in philosophy, it would never be possible to debate them, because everyone would agree to them.
> >
> > What is he really up to in making these remarks that no one would deny? That requires a much lengthier post than I have time to make, but that section of _Philosophical_Investigations_ is a good guide.
> >
> > J.DeMouy
>
> I've actually always wondered just what Wittgenstein was really trying to say with such a remark. After all, isn't it the case that philosophers advance theses all the time and always seem to disagree? Yet he wants to say otherwise. Is he using "theses" in some special sense (one that is not the same as when an Idealist disagrees about some statement about the world with a Realist, for instance)?

Yes, it's provocative naturally, builds pressure in
the work.

Wittgenstein's background as a logician has brought
him to contemplate tautologies. These don't describe
states of affairs so much as the limits of one's
world, in terms of putting a grammar through its
paces. He also contemplated a philosophy consisting
only of jokes. However, per The Act of Creation, a
joke may serve a purpose e.g. release stress and/or
cause a juxtaposition of hitherto unconnected ideas,
resulting in synergy.

> Philosophers have debates all the time and if Wittgensteinians can say, look, you're not really debating anything factual, you just think you are differing substantively about something that is or is not the case because you are reading one another's words differently (as we often see in such debates, even here), isn't that still a type of disagreement? After all, the next step is to say, 'no, we mean the same' or "no, so and so is misunderstanding the meaning of what he says.'

If they were really debating something factual then
would that be a philosophical thesis? You need to
not lose sight of the age-old distinction between
an empirical and a logical statement. I think in
#128 he's reminding us of how we might manage to
"stay true" by defining our terms internally and
staying faithful to their logical forms -- his
strategy for the Tractatus, to craft an internally
consistent vocabulary that wasn't aiming to capture
what's empirically the case so much as talk about
how logic maps to a world within a subjective
relationship of self to other. By its own rules,
that's not an empirical topic, so science falls
by the wayside, leaving us within an ethical/
aesthetic dimension (a nonsense dimension from
an empirical standpoint, wherein all states of
affairs are of equal value i.e. of no value
at all).

The PI disavows the specific strategy in the
Tractatus -- more the approach than the end result.
In fact, we're able to meaningfully communicate
non-empirical meanings and language is well suited
to this purpose. However, the word "philosophy"
is still internally defined in the PI (what it is,
how it's done). It's what Wittgenstein means
by the word that's at issue in #128. He's still
playing his internal consistency games.

Put another way: any philosopher should take
responsibility for what "philosophy" means. LW
rises to the occasion. In his philosophy, you
don't debate theses (that's just not the point).
Sure, others do that all the time. Would he
consider them philosophers? He's under no
obligation to think the way they do is he?

> Just look at the many debates we've seen here....

<< snip >>

> And, of course, there have been innumerable arguments over the years over whether I or my interlocutors have various claims by third parties right or wrong.

We could say none of this is philosophy if we
wanted. Within LW's namespace, that'd make
some sense.

> And yet we come back to this Wittgensteinian remark from the PI:
>
> "128. If one tried to advance theses in philosophy, it would never be possible to debate them, because everyone would agree to them."

Let's consider that he's within his rights to tell
us what philosophy means internally to his own
philosophy.

> So I'm left wondering what he could have meant in light of the extensive room for argument in philosophy that we actually encounter all the time. Does the remark just mean, as Sean sometimes seems to want to say, that none of the things I have cited are arguable, that they are all just linguistic confusions (rather than my own view, that linguistic confusions are deeply embedded in these -- what I would call -- conceptual issues)?

If we go with the idea that philosophy is the
activity of untying conceptual knots, a kind of
puzzle solving, then it would seem less an
arena for debating theses we'd all agree with.

> If Sean's reading is right, then there is never any point in arguing about any of this at all, right? We should all just shut up and read the papers (whether newspapers or scientific ones -- assuming they are peer-reviewed by East Anglian approved monitors, of course!).

That might be true if only philosophy were the
only productive and intelligent activity, but
Wittgenstein never advances this thesis.

You don't seem to consider the idea that, by
Wittgenstein's lights, you aren't doing philosophy
when you engage in these arguments. You're
thinking about science and matters of fact and
debating various ideas on their scientific
merits. That could well be a worthy activity
without our worrying about whether it's really
philosophy or not. We are under no compulsion
to agree with Wittgenstein's meaning, I agree.
So if you choose to see yourself as doing
philosophy, I'm sure no one will stop you.

> Now we know that Wittgenstein does often speak as though he thinks there is nothing worth talking about in philosophy so this is a possible reading, to be sure. On the other hand, he did philosophy (in the form of examining how we think about things) up to his dying day (remember that On Certainty is said to have been completed by him only the day before he died).

I don't think he was nearly the hypocrite you
make him out to be here. When he talks about
"theses" being not debatable, he's more saying
his conception of philosophy doesn't include
advancing theses as a cornerstone activity.
It's neither the point nor the goal. It's
about untangling knots. That's very much his
original thinking and view of the matter. He
was under no obligation to consider everything
we call "philosophy" to actually be that.

> Was he being merely disingenuous with us or was he being inconsistent himself?

I think he was being pretty consistent. The
fact that you argue a lot might be consistent
with your not being into doing philosophy the
way he conceived it. So what? No big deal.
Maybe you practice Wittgensteinian puzzle
solving on Tuesdays and Thursdays and do
other kinds of things, which you still call
"philosophy" other days of the week.

> I suspect this would be a good subject for extensive discussion in the manner that Sean has proposed, eh?
>
> SWM

Maybe so, although I have a sense probably all
the points in this thread are already well
expressed in the secondary literature in various
places. I'm being somewhat redundant probably,
coming across as saying a lot of the same
things others have said already more eloquently.

Kirby

> P.S. I am on record, by the way, as thinking that Martin's assessment of Wittgenstein's position on religion is fairly astute and does point up some real problems in his approach, by the way. (Another possible subject for detailed discussion!)

P.S. still haven't done more than eyeball it quickly, will refrain from further comment at this time.

10.

Reading Wittgenstein, was Wittgenstein on Religious Belief

Posted by: "J DeMouy" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fri Dec 4, 2009 11:08 pm (PST)

SWM

Since you've expressed some confusion as to my position and purpose in participating on this thread, I thought it might be useful for me to start out by stating my position clearly (though I've attempted to do so previously), also specifying some things I am not arguing, before proceeding to reply more directly to your last post.

So, my position:

It is generally a mistake to interpret Wittgenstein as making contentious assertions when an interpretation that has him saying something that isn't contentious is readily available.

More specifically, it is generally a mistake to interpret Wittgenstein as making a broader, more general claim when a narrower, less general claim is as well or better supported by the text.

Finally, it is no ground for rejecting an interpretation of Wittgenstein that the interpretation would read him as saying something with which no one would disagree.

I have argued that Michael Martin makes these mistakes and that they are mistakes. Those are my only concerns in posting on this thread.

Now, some things that I am not arguing:

I am not arguing that Michael Martin's interpretation of Wittgenstein is incorrect, although I do think that it is. I am only arguing against a particular form of argument that he uses to support that interpretation because in that he provides a clear illustration of mistakes that are common in readings of Wittgenstein.

If I wanted to debate how to interpret Wittgenstein's philosophy of religion, I'd discuss Kai Nielsen, DZ Phillips, or some other more representative figures. The only value I see in Martin's reading is as an object lesson in one mistake that we can make in reading Wittgenstein generally.

For my part, in my various readings on the Wittgenstein and religion topic, the closest to the views I've come to would be in chapter 5 of Duncan Richter's _Wittgenstein_At_His_Word_. Frankly, I don't see that I could add much to his discussion of the topic, save perhaps elaboration on the basic points that he makes as I understand them.

But for my present purposes, we could even suppose that Martin's interpretation is largely correct. I would only insist that the form of argument with which he supports that interpretation is fundamentally flawed. That doesn't rule out the possibility than other arguments might yet support the interpretation. Though I happen to doubt it.

Furthermore, I am not interested in debating whether Martin's arguments against the positions he ascribes to Wittgenstein are correct. They may well be and I am at least sympathetic with some his points against them. Many of the claims he thinks Wittgenstein was making are wrong-headed claims. But whether the positions he's attacking actually are Wittgenstein's positions and whether the arguments Martin uses in supporting his ascription of those views to Wittgenstein are valid are separate matters from whether those positions are wrong-headed and whether Martin is right to find fault with those positions.

Lastly, before I get to responding directly to your last post in this thread, I want to mention some general arguments that I think fail to address what I am saying.

It is no argument against my point for you to point out that philosophers do put forth theses while doing philosophy. If they do, they are simply not following Wittgenstein's recommendations. Many have never made any claim to do so. Perhaps they are right not to. Still, it was his recommendation.

It is not even an argument to say that Wittgenstein on occasion puts forth contentious theses and argues for them. If he does that, he is being inconsistent. (I think we should be very careful in ascribing such inconsistency to him but I don't rule out the possibility that he wasn't always consistent.) But even if he was sometimes inconsistent, that doesn't license us to favor interpretations that point to further inconsistency when interpretations that don't inculpate him in further inconsistent are readily available.

And if you take your examples of contentious theses that Wittgenstein allegedly advanced from your interpretation of his remarks on religion, you are also engaging in a petitio principii, because the interpretation of those remarks is part of what is in dispute.

I also want to let you know that when you ascribe some claim to Wittgenstein and I ask where he said such a thing, I am asking for a direct quotation, a source. Telling me that it's a paraphrase without telling me what it is you're paraphrasing is not helpful and doesn't support your interpretation. And to instead ask me if I have an alternate paraphrase is simply ridiculous! An alternate paraphrase of what? Am I supposed to read your mind while digging through what Wittgenstein has written in hopes of hitting on whatever passage you may have misread? If you ascribe a position to Wittgenstein, the burden is on you to support your reading. the burden is not on me to guess how you arrived at such a reading and show you the alternative.

And whether Wittgenstein could be called "contentious" as a person is quite separate from whether he though one should try to advance contentious claims in the course of doing philosophy. One might be quite contentious, in doing philosophy or in other aspects of one's life, while still refraining from trying to advance theses while doing philosophy.

Further, it is also not an argument (and I don't think I should even have to point this out) to say that we're arguing now. We're not doing philosophy! Literary exegesis is not philosophy, even if the literature in question is philosophical. History is not philosophy, even if the historian is writing on the history of philosophy. Of course, in discussing interpretations of what Wittgenstein said, we're going to be putting forth theses! But that's not what we should call "doing philosophy".

Perhaps it's confusing because in the course of doing philosophy, we may also have occasion to engage in some literary interpretation or history, but questions of interpretation or historical development are not philosophical questions, per se. Or rather, the question, "What did Wittgenstein mean?" is not a philosophical question, though more general questions about understanding, interpretation, evidence, and the like might be.

It is also not an argument to simply tell me that I should look further" and "consider" that Wittgenstein is using "theses" in some unusual sense. I've already considered and rejected that and I presented my reasons for doing so. Unless you propose something more substantial than a vague and totally unsupported suggestion that he's using the word differently, unless you specify what that different usage might be and show some textual basis for reading him that way, all you're really saying amounts to is, "Maybe we should just ignore what he said".

Alluding to various elements from Wittgenstein's private life and his personal religious views and struggles and vaguely insisting that there's some connection there between that biographical information and the views you or Martin ascribe to him without actually spelling out what that connection is supposed to be is engaging in irrelevancy. And adding more biographical information does not count as "spelling it out". "Spelling it out" would be making explicit how a given aspect of his life is supposed to make one interpretation of his ideas more plausible than another and more plausible than it would be without such biographical information.

Just saying, "How could it not be relevant?" is using some plausible but vague intuition about his motives as an excuse to engage in gossip. Not that I am condemning gossip, per se, but it is a distraction if it isn't actually enriching our understanding of the text in a demonstrable way or providing an actual argument to support one interpretation or another.

One more thing on that point: even if biographical data did somehow make Martin's reading more plausible, that would not undermine my main thesis. My point is that Martin's arguments for his interpretation are mistaken. But if there are other, better arguments, his interpretation itself might not be mistaken.

SW has pointed out elsewhere that your remarks about the relationship Blue Book and the overall development of Wittgenstein's thought are mistaken. I have nothing to add to that but I will ask this: what was your point? Did you wish to claim that later, Wittgenstein had decided that "craving for generality" and "contempt for the particular case" were not in fact impediments to doing philosophy? Do I really need to marshal quotes from later texts where he similarly warns us about generality and reminds us to look at particular cases and attend to differences between them?

Finally, saying "no" and insisting that I misread Martin and should read him more closely is not an argument. You have to actually support such a claim.

Here again are some quotations from Martin's text illustrating the mistake I've been talking about, with my own emphasis added:

"Is an interpretation available that does not assume that Wittgenstein is making general claims about the nature of religion? There are a number but the more obvious ones are either dubious or NOT VERY INTERESTING."

"For example, it might be suggested that some religious beliefs have the properties that he specifies. BUT FEW PEOPLE WOULD DENY THIS."

"One might suggest that some Protestant religious beliefs have the properties that he characterizes. BUT WHO WOULD DENY THAT THIS IS TRUE...?"

"Is there any interpretation that makes Wittgenstein's view NEITHER NONCONTROVERSIAL nor clearly wrong?"

"WHO WOULD WANT TO DENY the thesis that some religious believers and nonbelievers talk past one another?"

I would add that these quotes also show that Martin does see ways of reading Wittgenstein that don't have him saying controversial things. He just rekects those interpretations. For bad reasons.

Now, responding to some remaining points.

In responding to my questions about the fishy-sounding phrase "implications of the ordinary", you said some things that seemed to reflect a familiar enough reading of the concerns of _On_Certainty_. And unfortunately, I had already made some comments that veer off on a tangent about those ideas. I want to discourage that

It is helpful to distinguish between what I'll call "truisms" (those familiar and simple truths with which no one would argue and which could not constitute "theses", i.e. which are not contentious, but of which we might "assemble reminders", as per PI 128 and surrounding remarks) and what some call "hinges" (those beliefs with which _On_Certainty_ is concerned).

The verbal _expression_ of a "hinge" may have the appearance of a "truism" but it may also be nonsense outside of very special circumstances. A "truism" is not nonsense. A "truism" may seem beyond question but "your mileage may vary", as they say.

For example, if I point out that the game of poker incorporates an element of randomness and an element of concealment, while the game of chess involves neither, those are "truisms". But they are not "hinges". Doubting such things would not need to throw much else into doubt. They are not a "bedrock".

PI 128 is not making a logical point, a la OC, about what it makes sense to question or claim to know. It is making a methodological recommendation about the sorts of assertions that have a place in the practice of (his style of) philosophy.

The example "truisms" provides a nice segue to another point. I may assemble various truisms like those above in hopes that you would arrive at the conclusion, "So, despite what I thought, maybe there is no one element shared by all and only those activities we call 'games'!" and perhaps even, "So, many of the words we use may not have all their uses united by a set of necessary and sufficient conditions!"

This process of assembling reminders might be compared to an argument. Nevertheless, I might not insist on the conclusion. And in fact, no such assembling of reminders would actually prove that someone really clever couldn't somehow come up with a "perfect" definition of "game".

At most, between such truisms and the simile about "family resemblances" (showing how such definitions may be quite unnecessary after all) my interlocutor might be persuaded to look at things differently. But if she insists, "Still, they must have something in common!" I may have to relent. Insisting she arrive at the conclusion I wish would constitute advancing a thesis.

Calling this method "argument" could be misleading. And, while a collection of reminders (and e.g. similes, imaginary cases, et al) might be compared to an argument when taken as a whole, the individual parts should not be contentious. That is, if we are following Wittgenstein's recommendations.

Regarding the comments about "theories" in relation to "theses", I take "theories" to be related, but with further connotations of "conjecture" or of an analogy with scientific theories, i.e. as revealing some hidden underlying structure, e.g. to propositions,as in Russell's Theory of Definite Descriptions or the nature of predication, e.g. Russell's Theory of Types. I choose these examples because no one would accuse Russell of trying to do natural science in putting forth these theories. Wittgenstein's concern is wider than the the pretensions and wild speculations of the armchair "scientist" or the traditional metaphysician. Most philosophers in the classic period of analytic philosophy would take issue with their kind. But Wittgenstein fought against the temptation to "theorize" even in the way that Russell theorized, though most analytic philosophers would deem that sort of theorizing perfectly appropriate.

Finally, at the risk of losing focus even more, I wanted to comment on your remarks about your experiences with Zen Buddhism

> Buddhism is a little trickier. The kind I was involved in,
> Zen, eschews all doctrine and yet it involves its
> practitioners dutifully sitting in meditation in order to
> liberate themselves from the karmic cycle of death and
> rebirth. If one doesn't believe in rebirth after death, then
> what is the point of pursuing a practice to free yourself
> from it?

Are you asking rhetorically?

Answers to your question can be found within Zen tradition itself, in the "Five Ways of Zen":

Bonpu zazen is practiced solely for mental relaxation and physical health. Gedo zazen is practiced for self-control toward moral improvement (even if one's morality is, e.g. Confucian), or toward improvement of skills such as martial or fine arts, or the cultivation of magical powers. Sojo zazen is practiced to personally escape the cycle of rebirth (the Arhat ideal), Daijo zazen is practiced to achieve enlightenment toward the liberation of all sentient beings (the Bodhisattva ideal), and Saijojo zazen is to realize the buddha-nature in all appearances in the here and now. All of these are explicitly recognized as legitimate forms of the practice by Zen Buddhists, though the order in which I named them roughly corresponds to the esteem in which they are held by orthodox Buddhists.

In explicitly recognizing the legitimacy of these other forms of practice, are they no longer the "serious religionists" you'd spoken of?

> I actually sat for a number of years like that and then I
> got up, having decided that just sitting was pointless if I
> wasn't concerned about the goal. Was I sincere while I was
> doing it? I believe I was, but I was also confused so being
> sincere was easy. Once it was clearer to me, there was no
> longer any reason to continue the practice.

I found this remark interesting, given Dogen Zenji's the ideal of shikantaza or "just sitting" - setting aside all ulterior motives or goals to the practice.

Still, if you saw no value in it, perhaps for the best...

JPDeMouy

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News