[C] [Wittrs] Re: Cognitive science

  • From: "J" <jpdemouy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 06:12:47 -0000

Sean,

I probably ought not to have tossed in a jab like that and perhaps should
simply withdraw it, first, because it's not a topic I much care to discuss but
having made the remark, I ought to be willing to defend it; second, because
it's liable very quickly to get entangled existing threads I wish to avoid;
third, because a wide range of activities and research are described as
"cognitive science" and to simply dismiss it all as "stupid" would be
asshattery on my part, but what I said is too easily read that way; and fourth,
because to the extent that there are real philosophical confusions at work in
"cognitive science", a simple dismissal is wholly inappropriate.

At the same time, you've politely asked for some elaboration and I think it
right that I provide that.

My issue with "cognitive science" in general, apart from any particular
philosophical misunderstandings that may go under that name, is the self-image
of philosophy that it represents.  It presents itself as an interdisciplinary
field, embracing cognitive psychology, linguistics, computer science, and so
on, along with philosophy.

Now, to the extent that the role of philosophy here is something like the
philosophy of science, i.e. an inquiry into the methods and concepts of the
natural and social sciences, that's fine.  A Mach, a Hertz, or an Einstein
considered such questions alongside questions specific to physics and there's
no reason not to think that philosophers and scientists in collaboration might
not benefit in an analogous way.

But the role of philosophy in such an enterprise is not like this. Rather the
philosopher-cum-"cognitive scientist" fancies himself as a collaborator in
constructing theories regarding the nature of mind, thought, and so on,
presents himself as contributing not just to human understanding but to human
knowledge.

To the extent that he does so, he is a, e.g. a psychologist, by my lights, but
the self-image of philosophy as "cognitive science" rests on the sophistical
arguments of Quine, which purport to demonstrate a seamlessness between
empirical and conceptual investigations and call for a "naturalistic turn" in
philosophy.

Of course, if I may speculate, circumstances beyond the acceptance of Quinean
arguments about analyticity or undetermination may motivate such a turn.  By
linking philosophy with research into AI and such, philosophers can claim for
their work potential significance to military and commercial interests.  No, we
aren't just wasting the kids' time having them reading dusty old books,
examining pointless questions posed by ancients, or worrying about nuances of
meaning, we are forging ahead to the future, we're about progress, discovery...
and all that good shite!

It is more this sort of attitude to which I was alluding in my ill-advised
remark.  I hope that is adequate explanation.

JPDeMouy

PS  As my exchanges with Kirby may indicate to someone who cares enough to
notice, I am not opposed to interdisciplinary discussion and not opposed to
philosophy having relevance to science education or technological progress.  I
want to be clear about that.  If philosophy has value in unexpected ways,
that's all well and good.  It is this need to justify philosophy in those terms
and the attendant muddles about what philosophy is and can do to which I object.