[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 91

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 1 Jan 2010 01:25:01 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1.1.
Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects. From: SWM
1.2.
Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects. From: Sean Wilson
1.3.
Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects. From: J
1.4.
Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects. From: J
1.5.
Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects. From: SWM
1.6.
Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects. From: BruceD
1.7.
Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects. From: SWM
1.8.
Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects. From: J
2.1.
Joe's Argument for Consciousness as an "Abstract I" (the non-physica From: SWM
2.2.
Re: Joe's Argument for Consciousness as an "Abstract I" (the non-phy From: J
2.3.
Re: Joe's Argument for Consciousness as an "Abstract I" (the non-phy From: SWM
2.4.
Re: Joe's Argument for Consciousness as an "Abstract I" (the non-phy From: J
2.5.
Re: Joe's Argument for Consciousness as an "Abstract I" (the non-phy From: SWM
3.1.
Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics From: Joseph Polanik
3.2.
Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics From: BruceD
3.3.
Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics From: SWM
3.4.
Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics From: SWM
3.5.
Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics From: J
3.6.
Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics From: SWM
3.7.
Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics From: J
3.8.
Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics From: SWM
4a.
On Time From: Cayuse
4b.
Re: On Time From: J
4c.
Re: On Time From: Cayuse
4d.
Re: On Time From: J

Messages

1.1.

Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects.

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:45 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "J" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> MY GODS! I am going to rip my hair out if I keep seeing this recurring exchange where Stuart references the wetness of water and its molecular structure, Bruce then starts talking about the sensations associated with water missing the point in a manner than seems willfully ignorant, then Stuart fails to clarify his point! Does Stuart HAVE a point? Is he unable to present it? Is he just parroting something and completely ignorant of what's behind it. Maybe he's done this enough times that Bruce isn't being disingenuous but really doesn't get it.

Well I truly am sorry if you are fast on your way to baldness then. This is an old argument with Bruce (and others) that has been carried over to this list from many prior lists (with many of the same participants) and I really don't want to repeat my points in extensive detail every time the same misreadings of what I have said are presented. However, you may rest assured that I, for one, am quite clear on the distinction you seem to think is going unrecognized here and, indeed, nearby I offered Bruce yet another rendition (albeit truncated compared to many past offerings) of just how the experiences of consciousness may arise within a neurological system on the model I am describing and arguing for. (Perhaps you failed to read it before making the remarks you make here?)

If you don't care to participate in this exchange, by all means feel free not to do so. I often want to pull out as well though I have a countervailing tendency to respond when I see a misstatement or misunderstanding of something I have said. But you are not similarly obliged to pick up a gauntlet whose mere existence seems to offend you.

(I do note an interesting phenomenon, though, which relates to Sean's oft-expressed concerns. When one poster turns to testy remarks on lists like these it very often seems to bring that out in others, too, as seems to be happening now. Sean started this list at least in part to create a forum where participants could engage one another on a level which did not include personal badgering, ad hominems or expressions of pique. He was aware, as I recall, that he could not hope to banish these completely but he has labored heroically, and mostly successfully, here to create a decent and respectful atmosphere. We should try to keep that going and ignore those who bring a different and less salutary tone to these discussions if we can, rather than catch the same virus they spread.)

For the record, by the way, I don't think Bruce is being "disingenuous", at least not consciously so. But I do think that some of Bruce's disagreement with me on this issue arises from his strong desire NOT to accept the conclusions the model I am arguing for implies. He has said as much in past exchanges though he hasn't said anything quite that revealing in this latest go-round, the only one, as far as I know, that you have been privy to. In the past he has argued that IF we accept this model of mind, then we lose the possibility of belief in ourselves a "spirit" (his word, actually), as undetermined beings.

My response to that is 1) I don't think that necessarily follows but 2) even if it does, it is irrelevant to whether this model of mind is the most likely one to be true or not and so cannot be deployed as an argument against it. His response has been to argue for a claim that any effort to talk about minds being existentially dependent on the existence of brains of a certain type, properly operating, must finally be "unintelligible" and he has invoked Wittgenstein in support of THAT view.

As to my capacity for clarity, whether I "HAVE a point" as you put it or am simply "parroting" something of which I am "completely ignorant", perhaps you would be good enough to explain what prompts these sorts of remarks from you.

I presume you are frustrated with my exchange with Bruce and believe we are equally to blame for an ongoing dispute that you have come to find annoying. Well we are certainly equally to blame for keeping it going since either of us could simply choose to retire from the field. Apparently, though, that is in the makeup of neither of us. But, while I will agree with you that Bruce seems to be missing my point, I think your blaming THAT on the quality of MY presentation here is disingenuous unless you can show rather than accuse. If you really think I am at fault as you seem to allege then please feel free to point out:

1) Precisely where you think I haven't been clear (I don't pretend to be perfect after all and probably am not always as clear as I think I am being);

2) Where you think I don't even "HAVE a point";

3) Where you see me merely "parroting" someone else's argument; and

4) Where you see "complete ignorance" in my remarks.

Such characterizations need to be backed up or else they are just aspersions, something we are all trying to avoid here. (You will note that I have NOT once impugned either your motives or your capacities despite the fact that we have been in disagreement in the past and appear to be so again.)

> The microstructure of water molecules explain a variety of macroscopic characteristic of water, such as its expanding when it freezes, its crystals (snowflakes) having angles of 60 and 120 degrees, and its surface tension and ability to maintain contact with and impregnate surfaces ("wetting").
>
> The point of this is to draw an analogy for the sort of explanation one is looking for in saying that brains explain consciousness (or whatever).

Yes, an analogy is right.

> Whether its a good analogy is highly debatable. I don't think it is, but that's not my point here.

Feel free to debate the substance if you like. (Perhaps it is your own disagreement with it that lies at the bottom of the tone and substance of your post here, not unlike Bruce's personal/"political" opposition to a set of conclusions he is uncomfortable with which prompt him to argue at length over the substantive question of correctness of the formulation I've offered.)

> If it is to serve as an ANALOGY then of course one is not using "wetness" to describe a SENSATION we feel when we TOUCH water. It's utterly OBVIOUS that such a sensation CANNOT be explained by the structure of the water molecule ALONE. One also needs an account of the human nervous system.

Well, of course not and, nearby, I offered Bruce a quick (and highly generic) explanation of how a such neurological model of consciousness might work.

Note that the question we have been arguing here is not whether it does work but whether it is a viable model for explaining consciousness and thus worthy of consideration and use as a working hypothesis in the course of empirical research into the matter.

Remember, Bruce's position is that it isn't viable because any such claim must ultimately be deemed "unintelligible". (This contrasts with John Searle's ORIGINAL Chinese Room argument which purported to show, via a logical syllogism, that computers cannot be conscious because they lacked the phenomenological quality found in understanding, an essential feature of what it means to be conscious. Searle later corrected his own views and invoked his own claim of unintelligibility based on the Chinese Room scenario, dropping the syllogism. But that is another story. On my view, he was wrong on both counts.)

> In THAT case, it's no longer an ANALOGY at all. It shifts to being an EXAMPLE of part of the PROBLEM you all are disputing, viz. how to explain the character of any of our sensations on the basis of our nervous systems.

See my explanation nearby of how such a system could convert physical signals into experienced sensory input.

> But unless you are clear about what you mean by "wetness", whether you mean to speak of the physical behavior of liquids or whether you mean to speak of the sensation one experiences when touched by such a liquid, then you're going to continue talking at cross purposes and NEVER GOING TO GET ANYWHERE!

That's a good point and I don't see why you needed the aspersions to get to it.

> This is just ONE example of the kind of conceptual confusions that lead me to think you may simply both of you be DAMNED to ETERNAL bickering and confusion.
>
> JPDeMouy

The possibility of eternal damnation seems rather unlikely to me but not the possibility that we may never understand each other. I readily admit that there may be things I don't fully understand about Bruce's position but you have not offered anything along those lines in what you have written here as far as I can see, though, of course, it's not impossible I don't fully understand you either. But then it is equally possible you don't fully understand me and then, I guess, no one ever understands anyone, eh?

SWM

1.2.

Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects.

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:03 am (PST)

(J)

... as I have said many times, people who engage in discussion often do it only for purposes of the fun of showing allegiance. It isn't for anything more. It is the Greeks, I think, who left us with the idea that discussion was to "establish points" or "exchange information" or "move the ball," etc. But I think Wittgenstein can help here. What we call "discussion" actually might be two or three different behaviors.

1. One is the need to persevere and dominate, and hence the blood thirsts that you see among non-professor discussion (see analytic). The emphasis is argument mixed with taking digs. Part of the ritual here (on the internet) is to show your skilty in this regard. That is the behavior.

2. Another kind is talking just for the fun of doing it -- which is the sort of thing Grandpa and Grandma do. Having someone to talk with is more important than any of the propositions or their growth. In fact, the showing of allegiance back and forth is really what the activity is. (Simile: the child game, show-and-tell). This is a social activity.

3. A third behavior reminds me of the connoisseur. You exchange a sense of refinement with another in order to enjoy that affect in and of itself. Intellectuals like what the mind does with ideas just as an artist does his or her genre. They like to build complicated structures out of the things they find in life. They like to see the refinements and sensibilities of others. I show you my thoughts; you show me yours -- and each gets an enjoyment in the assessment of framework. It's like showing what each has collected in life -- what the mind has collected. This is the highest level that discussion can ever be. (To that end, "logic" is never king, because it is only one of many vehicles to understanding or comprehension).

This list was created so that 1 could be banished, but 2 and 3 could seek its own partners, like water seeking its own level. A good strategy is to ignore 2 if you want 3. I think CJ has the strategy of only reading about 4 people. The model of the philosophy doctor helping 1 or 2 is really more like missionary work. Do it if you want, but only "on your own time." The list purpose surely is not for that. Why help? Just let them go about the activity that they like. One would leave to grandpa all that is his.

We'll get back to more Wittgenstein relevant matters on or about Jan 4th. I'm still on vacation and have no time to do anything but shop, eat and go to movies. Am really enjoying Alice Ambrose's lecture book. Remarkably clear stuff in there. Perhaps too clear, but that's another matter.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University
Personal Website: http://seanwilson.org
SSRN papers: http://ssrn.com/author=596860
Discussion Group: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html

1.3.

Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects.

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:02 am (PST)

SW,

In searching through recent posts and then through the archives, nowhere have I seen you draw the distinction regarding "wetness". On the contrary, even here you run the two issues together.

1. The wetness (as physical behavior) of water being explained by the molecular structure of water (with no need to talk about the nervous system) serving as a MODEL of a KIND of explanation.

This sort of explanation is offered as an answer to questions like, "Why does water behave in such and such a way when introduced to such and such a substrate?" Such explanations belong to physiochemistry and chemical physics and do not involve any special concern with matters of psychology, physiology, or neurology. Questions of how perception works are IGNORED.

2. The wetness (as sensation) of water being explained by the molecular structure of water IN CONJUNCTION WITH facts about the nervous system serving as an EXAMPLE of what a theory of consciousness might be expected to explain.

This sort of explanation certainly does involve psychology, physiology,neurology. And in offering this sort of explanation, the findings of physiochemistry and chemical physics are TAKEN FOR GRANTED.

(I'm going to use numbers here. They are not the 1,2, and 3 of Polanik's posits nor the I,II, and III of von Neumann's discussions of measurement in quantum mechanics. They are the 1 and 2 directly above. Please do try to keep them straight.)

Now, why might a philosopher present 1 in discussing consciousness? When it has nothing to do with consciousness?

Well, it has been presented as a paradigm, a model of the sort of explanation he is seeking or offering. How can brains explain consciousness, when they are such very different things? Why the same way that molecular structure can explain wetness (THE PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTIC) even though the large scale behavior of water is very different thing from its molecular structure.

It's an ANALOGY. An ILLUSTRATION of a TYPE of explanation.

(Considering you seem to move from "A causes B" to "A is correlated with B" to "A is identical to B" to "A is existentially dependent on B" without acknowledging a shift in position or that these claims are each DIFFERENT, it might actually be HELPFUL were you to settle AT LEAST BRIEFLY on a single model of the sort of explanation you want.)

2, on the other hand CANNOT serve as such an ILLUSTRATION because it deals with the VERY POINTS IN DISPUTE. 2 is part of the PROBLEM and therefore CANNOT serve as an illustration of a model SOLUTION.

So when you slide between 1 and 2, you'll not get anywhere.

And I am beginning to think that you are simply incapable of seeing that this is going on.

> Well I truly am sorry if you are fast on your way to
> baldness then.

My tresses always grow back as thick and full as ever, so no need to worry. It does hurt an awful lot though.

This is an old argument with Bruce (and
> others) that has been carried over to this list from many
> prior lists (with many of the same participants) and I
> really don't want to repeat my points in extensive detail
> every time the same misreadings of what I have said are
> presented. However, you may rest assured that I, for one, am
> quite clear on the distinction you seem to think is going
> unrecognized here and, indeed, nearby I offered Bruce yet
> another rendition (albeit truncated compared to many past
> offerings) of just how the experiences of consciousness may
> arise within a neurological system on the model I am
> describing and arguing for. (Perhaps you failed to read it
> before making the remarks you make here?)

I saw it. I also searched the archives trying to make sense of this recurring issue. None of what I could find (and certainly not your remarks here) show any grasp of the distinction I'm making or of its relevance to your discussion.

But you are not similarly obliged to pick up a
> gauntlet whose mere existence seems to offend you.

You are absolutely correct on that point of course.

> Feel free to debate the substance if you like. (Perhaps it
> is your own disagreement with it that lies at the bottom of
> the tone and substance of your post here, not unlike Bruce's
> personal/"political" opposition to a set of conclusions he
> is uncomfortable with which prompt him to argue at length
> over the substantive question of correctness of the
> formulation I've offered.)

Unlikely.

> > If it is to serve as an ANALOGY then of course one is
> not using "wetness" to describe a SENSATION we feel when we
> TOUCH water. It's utterly OBVIOUS that such a
> sensation CANNOT be explained by the structure of the water
> molecule ALONE. One also needs an account of the human
> nervous system.
> >

> Well, of course not and, nearby, I offered Bruce a quick
> (and highly generic) explanation of how a such neurological
> model of consciousness might work.

But that's a MISTAKE. If you want to use 1 as an illustration of what you mean by consciousness being explained by brains, then turning the example INTO that very question (shifting to 2) is counter-productive.

If you want the illustration to work, you need to say something like:

"No, Bruce. I don't mean the sensation of wetness here. I mean the physical property of wetness, the interaction between water and substrates. And I am using this to illustrate a KIND of explanation."

> Remember, Bruce's position is that it isn't viable because
> any such claim must ultimately be deemed "unintelligible".
> (This contrasts with John Searle's ORIGINAL Chinese Room
> argument which purported to show, via a logical syllogism,
> that computers cannot be conscious because they lacked the
> phenomenological quality found in understanding, an
> essential feature of what it means to be conscious. Searle
> later corrected his own views and invoked his own claim of
> unintelligibility based on the Chinese Room scenario,
> dropping the syllogism. But that is another story. On my
> view, he was wrong on both counts.)

(You're wrong on your reading of Searle. It seems others here have told you that. I just want to go on record here as agreeing, even though it's beside the point here.)

JPDeMouy

1.4.

Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects.

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:15 am (PST)

Sean,

(I think I accidentally addressed SWM as "SW". My apologies for any confusion.)

While your classifications are neither mutually exclusive not jointly exhaustive and I differ in some respects with some of your characterizations, I do think I get your point. And it is well taken.

Could Bruce and Stuart be flirting? No, I know they're married men and I don't mean it like that. More the banter of a "bromance". I ought to just leave them to it then, eh?

> We'll get back to more Wittgenstein relevant matters on or
> about Jan 4th. I'm still on vacation and have no time to do
> anything but shop, eat and go to movies. Am really enjoying
> Alice Ambrose's lecture book. Remarkably clear stuff in
> there. Perhaps too clear, but that's another matter.

My copy of that text isn't handy but I'd be interested in your thoughts on it.

Thanks.

JPDeMouy

1.5.

Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects.

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:06 am (PST)

Hmmm, it does seem that you mean "SWM" here!

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "J" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> SW,
>
> In searching through recent posts and then through the archives, nowhere have I seen you draw the distinction regarding "wetness". On the contrary, even here you run the two issues together.

I agree that it's a useful distinction and that I probably have not made it explicitly here, as you have. However, I think that an examination of my past usages will clearly show that I never make the confusion you are alluding to. In fact, I don't think Bruce was making it either.

He was just jumping from one issue to another, i.e., arguing that we can't claim brain processes underlie consciousness in the way the molecular activity of water's atomic constituents underlies water's wetness because there is a gap that is never bridged by invoking physical processes, i.e., that the sensory experience of feeling wetness is never going to be explicable in terms of merely physical events.

In fact, I think this IS the crux of the problem though it's unfortunate that Bruce chose the wetness of water analogy as the vehicle to launch into the physical/non-physical problem he believes is paramount.

> 1. The wetness (as physical behavior) of water being explained by the molecular structure of water (with no need to talk about the nervous system) serving as a MODEL of a KIND of explanation.
>
> This sort of explanation is offered as an answer to questions like, "Why does water behave in such and such a way when introduced to such and such a substrate?" Such explanations belong to physiochemistry and chemical physics and do not involve any special concern with matters of psychology, physiology, or neurology. Questions of how perception works are IGNORED.

Yes, of course. They are different issues.

> 2. The wetness (as sensation) of water being explained by the molecular structure of water IN CONJUNCTION WITH facts about the nervous system serving as an EXAMPLE of what a theory of consciousness might be expected to explain.

Yes again. I assure you I do not conflate the two, whatever you concluded nor do I think Bruce was doing that. Still it's a useful distinction to draw attention to and you rightly did so.

> This sort of explanation certainly does involve psychology, physiology,neurology. And in offering this sort of explanation, the findings of physiochemistry and chemical physics are TAKEN FOR GRANTED.

Yes but in explaining how psychological phenomena such as perceiving, conceiving, and thinking about things occur, Bruce wants to say that nothing can be gained by pursuing as though brains were the source of these things. It's an argument that has something in common with Joe's argument for an as yet unexplicated "abstract I".

> (I'm going to use numbers here. They are not the 1,2, and 3 of Polanik's posits nor the I,II, and III of von Neumann's discussions of measurement in quantum mechanics. They are the 1 and 2 directly above. Please do try to keep them straight.)

Well, I'll try my best but I don't know . . . this could tax my capacity, it may be too many numbers for me!

> Now, why might a philosopher present 1 in discussing consciousness? When it has nothing to do with consciousness?

Isn't that a presumption on your part? After all, the issue at hand is whether or not one can CONCEIVE of mind or consciousness in a way that does not require a presumption of something extra-physical, i.e., are scientists who are interested in studying the brain's role in the production of subjective experience, our mental lives, barking up the wrong tree? (Arguments about ideas, about the ways we ought to conceive of things, are certainly philosophical in nature.)

A certain notable philosopher named John Searle built a career on an argument (the Chinese Room Argument) that purported to tell researchers that consciousness was not something they could never hope to replicated on a computational platform and therefore they should be looking elsewhere. So, much philosophical energy has been expended on whether consciousness is susceptible to certain kinds of scientific investigations rather than others.

> Well, it has been presented as a paradigm, a model of the sort of explanation he is seeking or offering. How can brains explain consciousness, when they are such very different things? Why the same way that molecular structure can explain wetness (THE PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTIC) even though the large scale behavior of water is very different thing from its molecular structure.
>
> It's an ANALOGY. An ILLUSTRATION of a TYPE of explanation.

Yes, of course. It is an analogical example. One doesn't mean that the same kinds of processes take place in getting wetness from certain molecules as take place in getting thinking from certain other processes! Sometimes Bruce has argued with me that he can see the blood produced by the bone marrow but he can't see the thoughts produced by the brain processes and then I answer much like this, by saying that I am not claiming the SAME events are taking place with the same outcomes (one physical product being transformed into another). I am only noting that we can explain wetness as caused by water's constituents behaving in a certain way under certain conditions and that THAT is what I am doing when I say we can explain the occurrence of subjectness (the state of being a subject with all that that entails) as caused by the occurrence and interplay of certain physical processes in brains.

> (Considering you seem to move from "A causes B" to "A is correlated with B" to "A is identical to B" to "A is existentially dependent on B" without acknowledging a shift in position or that these claims are each DIFFERENT, it might actually be HELPFUL were you to settle AT LEAST BRIEFLY on a single model of the sort of explanation you want.)

I don't accept a rigid distinction here nor do I see any reason why one must. Each thing is what it is. The wetness of water is a phenomenon that occurs (whether we sense it or not) as a result of phenomenal behavior at a level we can't sense though we can find ways to identify it indirectly. The occurrence of subjectness can be explained as occurring in the same way, i.e., as just so many underlying events (in this case brain processes) operating in a certain way.

I don't care what term you want to use for it as long as we agree what I mean when I use the term. There are many ways we use "cause" and many ways we use "identity" and I have described the ways I am using these terms in both cases. More, I have specified how my uses ARE consistent with other perfectly ordinary uses.

As to "correlation", I don't think it is useful as an equivalent term for these others here because it only denotes an unspecified connection between the occurrence of two independently occurring events. But the point is not to identify that relation. We all agree there is such a relation at work. The point is to identify what that relation signifies (i.e., is it an instance of causation, identity, something else?).

Now I have offered "existentially dependent" as a more cumbersome but conceptually satisfying alternative to anyone who is uneasy with the other terms. It is broader in scope with fewer connotative implications that can lead us to the wrong picture. If you want to discard this one too, what's left to work with? Are you saying, with Bruce, that there's nothing that can be said about this, that it's finally outside of the possibility of linguistic reference, that it's "unintelligible"?

If you are I would dispute that since I think the evidence of ordinary language is quite clear and this kind of talk IS intelligible. But intelligibility CAN be enforced if one denies any possible term of reference.

> 2, on the other hand CANNOT serve as such an ILLUSTRATION because it deals with the VERY POINTS IN DISPUTE. 2 is part of the PROBLEM and therefore CANNOT serve as an illustration of a model SOLUTION.

I think this horse you're beating is dead. I don't make the mistake you have identified nor do I think Bruce was doing so, though I agree that neither of us had made the potential for confusion in this regard clear on this list heretofore.

> So when you slide between 1 and 2, you'll not get anywhere.

I don't slide as you allege. But if you think I do, feel free to select some text of mine and show me in free fall as it were. In fact, I merely addressed Bruce's jump from one issue to another without noting that there is a distinction. I actually assumed it was pretty obvious but, perhaps, that was a mistake on my part. Certainly, you don't solve Bruce's problem or undercut my argument by flagging a confusion neither of us was making (or, at least, I wasn't).

> And I am beginning to think that you are simply incapable of seeing that this is going on.

Well think what you like. I'm certainly not going to expend a lot of energy defending myself or my argument against a claim which does not in fact address it.

> > Well I truly am sorry if you are fast on your way to
> > baldness then.
>
> My tresses always grow back as thick and full as ever, so no need to worry. It does hurt an awful lot though.
>

> This is an old argument with Bruce (and
> > others) that has been carried over to this list from many
> > prior lists (with many of the same participants) and I
> > really don't want to repeat my points in extensive detail
> > every time the same misreadings of what I have said are
> > presented. However, you may rest assured that I, for one, am
> > quite clear on the distinction you seem to think is going
> > unrecognized here and, indeed, nearby I offered Bruce yet
> > another rendition (albeit truncated compared to many past
> > offerings) of just how the experiences of consciousness may
> > arise within a neurological system on the model I am
> > describing and arguing for. (Perhaps you failed to read it
> > before making the remarks you make here?)
>
> I saw it. I also searched the archives trying to make sense of this recurring issue. None of what I could find (and certainly not your remarks here) show any grasp of the distinction I'm making or of its relevance to your discussion.

I don't think it's highly relevant to Bruce's concern which is why I didn't take any particular pains to make it explicit. It is perhaps unfortunate that Bruce chose the claim about wetness to jump to the other, more cogent part of his claim, but he did and my job was to address that other argument, not note that such a jump MIGHT reveal a confusion on his part that I don't actually think is there!

> But you are not similarly obliged to pick up a
> > gauntlet whose mere existence seems to offend you.
>
> You are absolutely correct on that point of course.
>

> > Feel free to debate the substance if you like. (Perhaps it
> > is your own disagreement with it that lies at the bottom of
> > the tone and substance of your post here, not unlike Bruce's
> > personal/"political" opposition to a set of conclusions he
> > is uncomfortable with which prompt him to argue at length
> > over the substantive question of correctness of the
> > formulation I've offered.)
>
> Unlikely.

Well we won't know unless you make your own position(s) on this explicit rather than simply content yourself with some of the side issues.

> > > If it is to serve as an ANALOGY then of course one is
> > not using "wetness" to describe a SENSATION we feel when we
> > TOUCH water. It's utterly OBVIOUS that such a
> > sensation CANNOT be explained by the structure of the water
> > molecule ALONE. One also needs an account of the human
> > nervous system.
> > >

> > Well, of course not and, nearby, I offered Bruce a quick
> > (and highly generic) explanation of how a such neurological
> > model of consciousness might work.
>
> But that's a MISTAKE. If you want to use 1 as an illustration of what you mean by consciousness being explained by brains, then turning the example INTO that very question (shifting to 2) is counter-productive.

No it is not. I suggest you have misread what I wrote then. First I didn't turn "the example into that very question (shifting to 2)", Bruce did. But secondly, in doing so, I see no evidence that he was unaware that there were two issues in play. He merely chose to use my analogical example of water's wetness to bring into play the issue of explaining how perfectly physical stuff, non-sapient material, could suddenly acquire sapience.

My response is that it depends on what we mean by sapience, etc., and that I believe it can be satisfactorily explained as a complex process based system along the lines I laid out. THAT of course addresses how feeling stuff can happen on a physical platform, within a physical system and NOT how one can speak of underlying processes causing observable phenomena on a higher level of observation.

> If you want the illustration to work, you need to say something like:
>
> "No, Bruce. I don't mean the sensation of wetness here. I mean the physical property of wetness, the interaction between water and substrates. And I am using this to illustrate a KIND of explanation."

I didn't and don't think it was necessary because Bruce was raising a different issue even if it was about the same question (how does consciousness come about?).

> > Remember, Bruce's position is that it isn't viable because
> > any such claim must ultimately be deemed "unintelligible".
> > (This contrasts with John Searle's ORIGINAL Chinese Room
> > argument which purported to show, via a logical syllogism,
> > that computers cannot be conscious because they lacked the
> > phenomenological quality found in understanding, an
> > essential feature of what it means to be conscious. Searle
> > later corrected his own views and invoked his own claim of
> > unintelligibility based on the Chinese Room scenario,
> > dropping the syllogism. But that is another story. On my
> > view, he was wrong on both counts.)
>

> (You're wrong on your reading of Searle. It seems others here have told you that. I just want to go on record here as agreeing, even though it's beside the point here.)
>
> JPDeMouy

Unlike my decision with Budd, I would be more than willing to get into the Chinese Room Argument with you should you feel inclined to take it up. It is always possible that I am wrong, of course, but since you misread my exchange with Bruce, I don't know why I should simply accept your assertion that I am wrong on Searle, especially since I have not articulated the issues or my argument on this list. (The above summary statements are just that and nothing more.)

Budd came on this list and described past arguments in which he and I were engaged, relying on assuring us that his understanding is "well rehearsed" and "on the money" and that he and some others had shown how I was wrong. But otherwise Budd only gave a bare minimal explanation of what he was actually claiming and NO arguments for why he was right and I was wrong. In fact I have seen Budd get Searle wrong too many times to pay much attention to him any longer. But your take on Searle has not yet been heard and I'm prepared to hear it.

I must note, however, that there are some on this list from some of the older lists where the arguments about the CRA raged hot and heavy for years, and they may not be amenable to yet another rehash. I'm always up for it but I don't wish to annoy or bore other posters.

That said, I would appreciate your specifying the points on which you think I am "wrong on [my] reading of Searle" -- especially since I have yet to lay that out on this list (so I am curious what you think I am wrong about)! With Sean's forbearance, I invite you now to lay out your case.

SWM

1.6.

Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects.

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:15 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> A process of causal signaling gets transformed
> This becomes the sensations that you have awareness of

The "You" which makes sense is where in the causal chain? I can't find it. But the everyday "You" does work. Vut the everyday"You" isn't causally connected.

> The point I have been making is that one CAN account
> for all the features of consciousness,

You can account for the biological basis, but none of the "features" because none of the features are physical. I see you as attributing psychological features to brain parts that are vital for psychology.

For something (Y) to be a necessary condition for X, doesn't make Y equivalent to X -- in a nutshell.

> To give it up you have to shake the dualist picture

Do you?

> What does it mean to be aware of anything?
> Well look at awareness in ourselves.

and so on. If I didn't know you were the author, I'd assume it was a hard-core dualist.

> then you need the "higher" level that deals with the first level

The "higher-level" is just another _expression_ for the self. By calling it "higher", you are suggesting a continuity with the lower, biology. But the "higher", the person, operates by reason, not by causes.

> You have to see how physical systems could do this sort of thing

Right! I can't see it. What I mean by "physical" doesn't allow for any of the attributes attributed to a person.

I prepared these notes: What is consciousness?

I go with dictionary definition: the state of being aware of one's own existence,sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.

Note: This definition makes no reference to any substance, physical or mental. C is can understood apart from the ontological question of "what exists?", or "how many basic subtances are.

To continue, consciousness is consciousness of something BY SOME ONE. It is descriptive of a person. Similar to "happiness". What could be said of a person. For all descriptive terms we have criteria. But the criteria may or may not designate the cause of the state under question. Specifically, we are not clear exactly what
brain state is necessary for C. In any event...

While many conditions must hold for a person to be conscious, it is the person that is conscious, not the conditions, the brain for example. One in a vat, with the same electrical state as the person who is conscious, would not be conscious. A brain -- in a certain state -- is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a
person to be conscious. Endorphins may be a necessary condition for a person to be happy, but endorphins alone happiness does not make.

Basically, you are wanting a continuity where discontinuity prevails.

bruce

and computers are the best model for that, even if it turns out that they can't fully mimic everything brains do or can't do it in the right way (as suggested by Hawkins).

1.7.

Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects.

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:53 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>
> > A process of causal signaling gets transformed
> > This becomes the sensations that you have awareness of
>
> The "You" which makes sense is where in the causal chain? I can't find it. But the everyday "You" does work. Vut the everyday"You" isn't causally connected.

At the end, in the sense that it is the result of certain events going on in a certain way in your brain. Stop any of the critical events involved and the "you" begins to disappear. Stop enough of them and it goes away entirely unless you think it hangs about, floating nearby the non-functioning body connected, perhaps, by some ethereal umbilical like thread!

> > The point I have been making is that one CAN account
> > for all the features of consciousness,
>
> You can account for the biological basis, but none of the "features" because none of the features are physical.

Yes, I see that you don't see it while I obviously think I do. The issue is what does being aware (or any other mental feature) consist of. If we can produce such features or features that are enough like our own on a machine platform it will probably be easier to grasp but there will still be those, like yourself, who just can't or won't see it. All I can tell you is that after much consideration of my own case, I have concluded that there is nothing going on in me that could not also go on in any other physical medium that could accomplish the same tasks my brain and its associated organs can. Even things like Searle's understanding of Chinese just looks like it involves the capacity to make the right connections among representations within a multilayered representational network consisting of mental ideas or pictures, etc.

I see no special phenomenological light or objects in my own experience though I grant that others may "look" at the same phenomena as I am considering in themselves and conclude differently. I think that we have an intuitive bias to do so but that this bias is not fixed for us, it can be shaken and, once shaken, its hold is broken. But nothing less than an empirical research program that succeeds will ever get us any further along in this debate though, no matter what the ultimate results, there is likely to always be some who will cling to the intuition in question. In certain ways it's quite comforting.

> I see you as attributing psychological features to brain parts that are vital for psychology.

I don't know what that means. Which brain parts and which psychological features?

> For something (Y) to be a necessary condition for X, doesn't make Y equivalent to X -- in a nutshell.

Depends what it means to be a "necessary condition" and to be "equivalent" (another word for "identity" which we have already explored unsuccessfully). Perhaps there are just chasms in mutual understanding (or misunderstanding) that can never be crossed?

> > To give it up you have to shake the dualist picture
>
> Do you?

Sure.

> > What does it mean to be aware of anything?
> > Well look at awareness in ourselves.
>
> and so on. If I didn't know you were the author, I'd assume it was a hard-core dualist.

That's a misunderstanding but, if you like, please demonstrate how my description counts as dualism?

> > then you need the "higher" level that deals with the first level
>
> The "higher-level" is just another _expression_ for the self.

No, because "higher" is relative. There will be intermediate levels and each one will be "higher" than the one below it but will not necessarily be the "self" itself. However, on the view I've proposed, each level will be a critical building block in achieving the levels above it (and will be the outcome of the levels below it, of course).

> By calling it "higher", you are suggesting a continuity with the lower, biology. But the "higher", the person, operates by reason, not by causes.

I meant nothing normative by "higher". Again, see my explanation of "higher" as a relative term, i.e., existing in a position of higher and lower related levels. After all I did not say "highest".

> > You have to see how physical systems could do this sort of thing
>
> Right! I can't see it. What I mean by "physical" doesn't allow for any of the attributes attributed to a person.

Right, you can't see it and I expect will not no matter how many times I lay it out. But you asked me to say how wetness could be felt on the model I have been defending and that's what I have done. I didn't say I could make the horse drink!

> I prepared these notes: What is consciousness?
>
> I go with dictionary definition: the state of being aware of one's own existence,sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.

Dictionaries are sometimes sufficient and sometimes insufficient. I certainly won't dispute that usage but will note there are others and that the others also partake of the dictionary definition you've shared with us, that is being aware is a feature that we generally think is fundamental to consciousness though it may also exist as a feature on many levels, i.e., there are many levels at which we can say any entity can be aware. I was aware, for instance, of much more than my late cat. But still it would have been odd to say she was unaware of things going on around her.

> Note: This definition makes no reference to any substance, physical or mental. C is can understood apart from the ontological question of "what exists?", or "how many basic subtances are.

Depends on the usage doesn't it? But philsophy is generally about more than looking up and citing definitions (even if doing that is sometimes helpful).

> To continue, consciousness is consciousness of something BY SOME ONE.

Yes, consciousness qua awareness.

> It is descriptive of a person. Similar to "happiness".

Sometimes. It is also "decriptive of" other creatures. My cat was conscious most of the time except when sleeping of course. When she died she collapsed in the street and by the time I got her to the vet the vet said she was in a coma. Though her eyes were open she was unaware, the vet assured me, and that seemed to be the case.

Well what is "happiness"? The state of being happy, no? What is "consciousness"? The state of being conscious. So what is it to be in that state? It's to have certain features we associate with a mental life including being aware, thinking about, understanding inputs, perceiving inputs, etc. Lots of things, no?

> What could be said of a person. For all descriptive terms we have criteria. But the criteria may or may not designate the cause of the state under question. Specifically, we are not clear exactly what
> brain state is necessary for C. In any event...

That's the point of work like Dehaene is engaged in and which Dennett aims to support with conceptual work. But is it right to say "necessary for" or would it be better to say "is"? (Does considering such issues even get us any closer to any kind of common understandings? Perhaps not.)

> While many conditions must hold for a person to be conscious, it is the person that is conscious, not the conditions, the brain for example.

We can speak of a brain a being conscious in some contexts. It makes no sense to assert an absolute prohibition of such usages when ordinary language and experience denies it.

> One in a vat, with the same electrical state as the person who is conscious, would not be conscious.

Where do you get THAT from? Why would a brain in a vat, receiving inputs on a par with a brain in a normally operating body in the real world not also be conscious? Isn't this a stipulation only?

> A brain -- in a certain state -- is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a
> person to be conscious.

I don't understand this at all! A fully functioning brain of a certain type is both necessary and sufficient by any ordinary measure and understanding. You cannot simply stipulate that away!

> Endorphins may be a necessary condition for a person to be happy, but endorphins alone happiness does not make.

Given enough and who knows, they might. Just ask a heroin user. Of course, one might argue that he or she doesn't really know he or she isn't happy when on the drug. But isn't that a rather arbitrary decision on our part?

> Basically, you are wanting a continuity where discontinuity prevails.
>
> bruce

Basically you are conjuring discontinuities that don't exist. And what does it mean to speak of continuity and discontinuity in this context anyway???

SWM

1.8.

Re: SWM on multiple causation and tangible effects.

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:25 pm (PST)

SWM,

> > Now, why might a philosopher present 1 in discussing
> consciousness? When it has nothing to do with
> consciousness?
> >

> Isn't that a presumption on your part?

No, IT'S NOT.

It isn't because I've already defined 1 as the explanation of wetness, qua physical property in terms of molecular structure. Physical chemistry and chemical physics do not concern themselves with questions about the nervous system or perception, or consciousness, nor should they. That's part of the point of distinguishing 1 & 2, a distinction you claim to recognize and deny having ever overlooked.

After all, the issue
> at hand is whether or not one can CONCEIVE of mind or
> consciousness in a way that does not require a presumption
> of something extra-physical, i.e., are scientists who are
> interested in studying the brain's role in the production of
> subjective experience, our mental lives, barking up the
> wrong tree? (Arguments about ideas, about the ways we ought
> to conceive of things, are certainly philosophical in
> nature.)

THAT'S NOT THE ISSUE IN EXPLAINING THE PHYSICAL PROPERTY OF WETNESS!

It may BE an issue in explaining how we experience the SENSATION of wetness.

My gods, man! I had just outlined the distinction between issues 1 & 2 and was clearly and specifically referring to 1 in the remark your now questioning.

> > (Considering you seem to move from "A causes B" to "A
> is correlated with B" to "A is identical to B" to "A is
> existentially dependent on B" without acknowledging a shift
> in position or that these claims are each DIFFERENT, it
> might actually be HELPFUL were you to settle AT LEAST
> BRIEFLY on a single model of the sort of explanation you
> want.)
> >

> I don't accept a rigid distinction

Do you accept any distinction at all? If not, then what language are you speaking?

here nor do I see any
> reason why one must. Each thing is what it is.

Each concept has its own grammar and there respective grammars distinguish them.

> As to "correlation", I don't think it is useful as an
> equivalent term for these others here because it only
> denotes an unspecified connection between the occurrence of
> two independently occurring events. But the point is not to
> identify that relation. We all agree there is such a
> relation at work. The point is to identify what that
> relation signifies (i.e., is it an instance of causation,
> identity, something else?).

That's not obviously wrong.

And how do we go from identifying a correlation to identifying a causal connection? Answer that and this discussion might make some progress.

> Now I have offered "existentially dependent" as a more
> cumbersome but conceptually satisfying alternative to anyone
> who is uneasy with the other terms. It is broader in scope
> with fewer connotative implications that can lead us to the
> wrong picture.

Actually, it is so broad as to not preclude dualism, something you seem to want to preclude.

One might, e.g. suppose that there are spirits, some sort of non-physical stuff upon which our mental lives depend, but that spirits could only interact with the physical world by being somehow conjoined with brains. In that case, consciousness would be "existentially dependent" on brains, but the position would still be dualistic.

Someone who accepted such a picture might even suppose that a brain could exist without being conjoined to such a spirit. Perhaps they would imagine such a case occurs in comas or persistent vegetative states, perhaps that case a thing would leave to zombies, or perhaps that such cases are all around us and difficult to distinguish from normal people with spirits and brains.

In any event, this picture might still grant that consciousness is "existentially dependent" on brains: someone who accepts it might grant that no one is conscious without having a brain. Still, they would insist that "a brain is not enough".

Perhaps you are getting a clearer idea now of why I am suggesting that you need to be more careful in how you express whatever position it is you wish to defend.

If you want to discard this one too, what's
> left to work with?

I haven't suggested that you "discard" anything, only that you pay more attention to the distinctions between the different expressions you've used.

Are you saying, with Bruce, that there's
> nothing that can be said about this, that it's finally
> outside of the possibility of linguistic reference, that
> it's "unintelligible"?

I make no such claim, no.

What would be the "this" that is "unintelligible"?

> I think this horse you're beating is dead. I don't make the
> mistake you have identified...

> I don't slide as you allege...

You did above when you ignored the distinction between 1 and 2 and asked if I was guilty of presumption.

> > > Feel free to debate the substance if you like.
> (Perhaps it
> > > is your own disagreement with it that lies at the
> bottom of
> > > the tone and substance of your post here, not
> unlike Bruce's
> > > personal/"political" opposition to a set of
> conclusions he
> > > is uncomfortable with which prompt him to argue
> at length
> > > over the substantive question of correctness of
> the
> > > formulation I've offered.)
> >
> > Unlikely.
> >

> Well we won't know unless you make your own position(s) on
> this explicit rather than simply content yourself with some
> of the side issues.

Whether or not YOU will know is immaterial to me. I am sufficiently confident in my capacity to distinguish between assessing the validity or soundness of individual arguments, the aptness of particular analogies, or the value of certain distinctions, from whether I agree with the larger point. Just as I am confident in my ability to distinguish arguments about what Wittgenstein, Searle, or von Neumann may have written or meant from whether or not I agree with what they are saying according to a given interpretation.

> > But that's a MISTAKE. If you want to use 1 as an
> illustration of what you mean by consciousness being
> explained by brains, then turning the example INTO that very
> question (shifting to 2) is counter-productive.
> >

> No it is not. I suggest you have misread what I wrote then.
> First I didn't turn "the example into that very question
> (shifting to 2)", Bruce did. But secondly, in doing so, I
> see no evidence that he was unaware that there were two
> issues in play. He merely chose to use my analogical example
> of water's wetness to bring into play the issue of
> explaining how perfectly physical stuff, non-sapient
> material, could suddenly acquire sapience.

If it happens once, then the transition may be as you say, that he's accepted your point while using it as an opportunity to explore another topic, a segue.

(I would still wonder whether my point has been understood.)

But a similar exchange has popped up before. Considering how much disagreement there seems to be about whether what you're saying is "intelligible", it would behoove you to at least check that your point has been understood.

> > "No, Bruce. I don't mean the sensation of
> wetness here. I mean the physical property of wetness,
> the interaction between water and substrates. And I am
> using this to illustrate a KIND of explanation."
> >

> I didn't and don't think it was necessary because Bruce was
> raising a different issue even if it was about the same
> question (how does consciousness come about?).

But has he accepted the explanation you were offering about how you were using "caused by"? Do you know? And is it important to you that he does understand?

> Unlike my decision with Budd, I would be more than willing
> to get into the Chinese Room Argument with you should you
> feel inclined to take it up. It is always possible that I am
> wrong, of course, but since you misread my exchange with
> Bruce, I don't know why I should simply accept your
> assertion that I am wrong on Searle, especially since I have
> not articulated the issues or my argument on this list. (The
> above summary statements are just that and nothing more.)

There's no reason you should "simply accept" anything. And I have no illusions that anything I might say will change matters.

> That said, I would appreciate your specifying the points on
> which you think I am "wrong on [my] reading of Searle" --
> especially since I have yet to lay that out on this list (so
> I am curious what you think I am wrong about)! With Sean's
> forbearance, I invite you now to lay out your case.

Google Groups is handy and from discussions you had with one Ron Allen on the Analytic-Borders group through discussions on Analytic to the brief remarks you've made here, it's clear that you are either unwilling or unable to accept Searle's definition of "strong AI" and therefore cannot distinguish what the Chinese Room Argument is or is not meant to prove.

People far more patient than I have tried to no avail to make this clear to you. There are limits even to my foolhardiness.

JPDeMouy

2.1.

Joe's Argument for Consciousness as an "Abstract I" (the non-physica

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:30 am (PST)

In my recent posting, I suggested we try to nail the argument down Joe but for some reason you skipped that section of my post in responding to me. To make this easier, I've excised it and re-posted it here. In sum the information below presents your statement of the argument and my attempted re-statement to be sure I am getting your point. What I need you to do is to examine my restatement and let us (me?) know whether there are still differences in your understanding of this and mine based on our respective statements. Then perhaps we can move forward.

By the way, I note in your last response an immediate difference between us as you are placing what you call the "phenomenological" into category II whereas my reading of the text you directed us to led me to think that II contains physical data collection devices. Obviously, such devices are not going to be different in kind from the objects being studied so perhaps here is the crux of a problem between us, i.e., a failure to clearly or sufficiently distinguish between the sense data and the sensory equipment and to place them appropriately within the three-way categorization system you ascribe to von Neumann?

SWM

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

> similarly, if the brain (and the entire physical universe) is placed in von Neumann's divisions I + II; and, if there is still something left over (the abstract 'I') in division III which is causally effective; then, it clearly suggests that the abstract 'I' is a non-physical (metaphenomenal) object that is causally effective at collapsing the wave function during quantum measurements.
>
> Joe

I take it that this is the argument you want to stand on then?

There is:

(I) The observed phenomenon

(II) The physical device that captures the data that is being observed

(III) The observer that apprehends the data about the phenomenon that is captured by the physical device

The argument is that, since the observer(III) effects a result in the observed phenomenon(I) in the course of observing it, the observer causes something outside itself. Since the observer is always
separate and distinct from the physical phenomena that are the observed phenomenon(I) and the data-capturing device(II), it must be seen as causing but not, itself, being subject to being caused.

Is THIS the crux of your claim?

Before commenting on it I want to be sure this IS what you are claiming and that I am not somehow guilty of misreading you. Please feel free to explicate or correct my statements before we proceed to consider the argument in depth. Let's get this first part right so we can avoid later arguments and recriminations about who is misrepresenting whom. I want you to restate or repair my presentation of your argument to your own satisfaction here.

2.2.

Re: Joe's Argument for Consciousness as an "Abstract I" (the non-phy

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:01 am (PST)

SW,

I, II, and III refer to von Neumann's characterizations of different aspects of the measurement situation.

1,2, and 3 refer to different types of posits JPolanik makes.

It's quite obvious from the context. At least to me. There is not a doubt in my mind that he's using the Roman and Arabic numerals very differently, though I hope he'll make that clear to you himself soon.

Without being insulting, let me just say that it is very difficult for me to imagine how it wouldn't be obvious to anyone paying attention. I may just not have a very good imagination.

Running them together is piling confusion upon confusion.

JPDeMouy

2.3.

Re: Joe's Argument for Consciousness as an "Abstract I" (the non-phy

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:14 am (PST)

I'm a bit confused, J. You address the post below to "SW", which is the acronym Sean uses (for "Sean Wilson"), but you seem to be responding to an earlier post of mine seeking clarification from Joe. I use "SWM" of course for my signature on this list (and most others).

If you left the "M" off inadvertently then perhaps I should be responding but if you in fact meant this for Sean then I should not. Knowing your sensitivity I don't want to overstep here and respond to something from you that you didn't mean for me so I'll just note in passing that, if this was for me, I am not ignoring it, just trying not to ruffle any feathers.

But I agree that there seems to be a confusion in the formulations which I want to clear up so I can better understand the claim Joe is making and its implications. But we really need him to step in here and clarify since it's his argument. Some people tend to get very annoyed when others restate their arguments in ways they think show implications that the originators don't think are there and then it often comes down to a bristly exchange on a personal level rather than in terms of the ideas. I've had way too much of that and would prefer to avoid it.

SWM

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "J" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> SW,
>
> I, II, and III refer to von Neumann's characterizations of different aspects of the measurement situation.
>
> 1,2, and 3 refer to different types of posits JPolanik makes.
>
> It's quite obvious from the context. At least to me. There is not a doubt in my mind that he's using the Roman and Arabic numerals very differently, though I hope he'll make that clear to you himself soon.
>
> Without being insulting, let me just say that it is very difficult for me to imagine how it wouldn't be obvious to anyone paying attention. I may just not have a very good imagination.
>
> Running them together is piling confusion upon confusion.
>
> JPDeMouy

> Need Something? Check here: http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrslinks/

2.4.

Re: Joe's Argument for Consciousness as an "Abstract I" (the non-phy

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:21 am (PST)

Quite right.

I mistakenly addressed you as "SW".

My apologies for any confusion.

As for the other point, yes, you may want to wait for JPolanik to confirm what I've said about his use of 1,2, and 3 vs. I,II, and III.

Or you might try re-reading his remarks with that distinction in mind and see if they don't make a whole lot more sense to you.

As for my "sensitivity", mea culpa. Though I'd point out that I don't show such sensitivity in discussions with others, though there are disagreements. Perhaps your overwhelming skill at debate puts me into a corner where I overreact. That is ONE possibility.

JPDeMouy

2.5.

Re: Joe's Argument for Consciousness as an "Abstract I" (the non-phy

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:19 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "J" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> As for my "sensitivity", mea culpa. Though I'd point out that I don't show such sensitivity in discussions with others, though there are disagreements. Perhaps your overwhelming skill at debate puts me into a corner where I overreact. That is ONE possibility.
>
> JPDeMouy

I am certainly sorry if I am at fault in ruffling your feathers. THAT is never my intention though it does seem that I do it a lot. Perhaps it is in my tendency to state my points without lots of caveats, etc. I'm sure this isn't about skills per se but, perhaps, personality and mine may just be the sort that rankles others. (I don't know why it should but I have found that it does, especially on lists like these.)

Note that I do not set myself up as any kind of expert and there are many things, many fields, in which I know little and know it. I don't jump in here on many issues but there are some where I feel more at home. As a former Searlean (of sorts -- I used to think he had consciousness exactly right), questions about the philosophy of consciousness are an area where I will tend to speak up. But then, if we have no such areas, why bother to read these lists?

Anyway, you challenged my understanding of Searle nearby. While I have no intention of responding to Budd on Searle (for many reasons), I will not be so reticent with you (as long as we can manage not to snipe at one another). If you want to go into the Chinese Room Argument (either the early one or his later one), I will oblige you.

SWM

3.1.

Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:47 am (PST)

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>SWM wrote:

>By the way Joe, there was a whole lot more to my last post and it was
>more focused and substantive the further down you went. Yet it is is
>precisely the latter section you have cut off in favor of a more
>truncated response. Worse, the responses you give above leave the
>important stuff still unaddressed.

I deferred comment on some of the material in your last post because I
wanted to focus on a core idea; and, since I must correct your various
misunderstandings of my last post, I may do the same with some of the
material in your last post.

first, there is no one to one mapping from my system for numbering
reality types to von Neumann's system for numbering the divisions of the
world.

this should have been obvious. the crucial situation is represented by
the formula, (I + II ) | III. in it I and II are both physical; and,
therefore, everything in either I or II would be of reality type 1 for
me. the abstract 'I' in division III would be an entity of reality type
3. reality type 2 does not appear in von Neumann's formula.

secondly, in this formula, the entire physical universe is located in
(I + II). there isn't anything physical that is 'left over'; so,
whatever is in division III is NOT *REPEAT* NOT physical.

I'm trying to emphasize this point as politely as possible because you
seem to keep asking what make the abstract 'I' non-physical; but, I have
already given you the answer in its entirety: von Neumann set up the
thought experiment or the problem statement so that everything physical
is in (I + II). consequently, the abstract I in division III is
non-physical.

that's it. that's the entire answer.

>So WHAT is the "abstract I" ... ?

the abstract I is generally taken to mean the consciousness of the
observer; but, of course, that leads us to the next problem: the word
'consciousness' is ambiguous. it can refer to the stream of experiences,
the experiencer (or bundler-together) of that stream --- both of which I
consider to be phenomenological realities. but consciousness can also
refer to an alleged non-physical but metaphenomenal entity (what I would
call an I-3) that causes or contributes to generating the
phenomenological realities actually experienced by the experiencing I or
the experiencer of its experiences) --- what I would call the I-2.

>Are you proposing that the "abstract I" is some kind of spiritual
>co-existent with the brains and bodies where it is manifest? What,
>exactly, is your thesis re: this?

von Neumann did not say anything about the abstract I beyond what has
already been discussed: it is in division III (making it non-physical)
and it collapses the wave function (making it causally effective).

I'm running out of time so I'll leave for another post any attempt to
clarify the differences between what you call physical and what I call
physical.

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

3.2.

Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:37 am (PST)

The following snipets help me to clarify my position

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> the observer cannot be a physically derived phenomenon?

hence..

> requires that we posit something non-physical
> as the source of consciousness...

1. The term "physical" covers tangible objects which we can contact
perceptually, as well as all sorts of non-perceptual phenomena including
particles without mass, dark matter, forces and waves.

2. Given that all the above preceded conscious beings, then some or all
of that stuff must be implicated in the biological basis of
consciousness.

3. Physics may deem some old phenomena, or new stuff, as non-physical,
because, theoretically, it makes sense to make this distinction. But the
"non-physical", as used by them, will not refer to what we refer to as
consciousness, mind, spirit, etc.

4. Hence, advances in physics and neurology will not resolve our
conceptual dilemma, viz.,

a- Is it useful for us to consider consciousness as a thing, an object,
that which stands as such, the way objects (of all stripe do) something
generated by some other object and, by implication, set a causal
relationship between the brain state and the mental state? The reasons
for and against!

b- Is it more useful to think of consciousness, mental states as
behavior, as what a person does, with no implication that the person is
any kind of substance, nor his mental states existing in time-space and
(by implication) not causally related to the biological origins? But,
rather, view consciousness as consciousness of a person who is thinking,
acting agent and hence (by implication) treat consciousness as an tool
employed by the person to be evaluated, not mechanically, but
rationally!

bruce

3.3.

Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:06 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

> SWM wrote:
>
> >Joseph Polanik wrote:
>
> >>SWM wrote:

<snip>

> I deferred comment on some of the material in your last post because I
> wanted to focus on a core idea; and, since I must correct your various
> misunderstandings of my last post, I may do the same with some of the
> material in your last post.
>
> first, there is no one to one mapping from my system for numbering
> reality types to von Neumann's system for numbering the divisions of the
> world.
>
> this should have been obvious.

Why "obvious" since you initially presented this as von Neumann's thesis which, if true, you said would mean that a mechanistic picture of how consciousness works would be wrong. So why would it have been "obvious" to me that you weren't actually presenting von Neumann's thesis but Joe Polanik's? I, II and III is his. 1, 2 and 3 yours and yours, as J noticed, doesn't correspond precisely to von Neumann's.

> the crucial situation is represented by
> the formula, (I + II ) | III. in it I and II are both physical; and,
> therefore, everything in either I or II would be of reality type 1 for
> me. the abstract 'I' in division III would be an entity of reality type
> 3.

Uhumm, so you assume an "abstract I" is an "entity of reality" you posit somewhat like, I suppose, Kant's "transcendental I"? An unperceived perceiver? (When I was a boy I remember a kid's game called the "little man who wasn't there" in which you placed a coin inside the box, shut the box and, upon opening it again, discovered the coin was gone. A trick of course but is that sort of the issue, a transcendental subject that isn't there but perceives what is and, in perceiving, give it reality?)

As you can guess, I am having problems with your notion of an "abstract I" but the first thing I want to do is nail down what you mean by it. What is this "abstract I" and where is it to be found?

> reality type 2 does not appear in von Neumann's formula.

But he seems to mean something different than you do which, if true, means it is not von Neumann's thesis that challenges the idea of a physically based consciousness but yours. Which doesn't necessarily obviate it, of course, but it has to be argued for as what it is and not by invoking the authority of von Neumann, no?

> secondly, in this formula, the entire physical universe is located in
> (I + II). there isn't anything physical that is 'left over'; so,
> whatever is in division III is NOT *REPEAT* NOT physical.

But this is all an assumption, i.e., there is no evidence from this particular schematic of how things are that there actually IS some consciousness that stands apart from the rest of the otherwise physical universe in all ontological senses. Essentially you are saying THIS is how von Neumann depicts the way things are and this picture means that consciousness (or some essential part of it) is outside the physical. But why should we accept that as evidence for, or reason to believe that, that is how things are?

> I'm trying to emphasize this point as politely as possible because you
> seem to keep asking what make the abstract 'I' non-physical;

I appreciate that you are straining to be polite given my obvious offensiveness in asking you to explain yourself, however note that I do not "seem to keep asking what makes the abstract 'I' non-physical", I AM asking it. More, I am asking why should we take this idea of an "abstract I" as a proper picture of what we mean by "I" in cases like this, as a proper way of designating a subjective entity?

> but, I have
> already given you the answer in its entirety: von Neumann set up the
> thought experiment or the problem statement so that everything physical
> is in (I + II). consequently, the abstract I in division III is
> non-physical.

But THAT is his "thought experiment". Why should I, as you are asking me to, accept the result you say it gives us?

I see no reason to argue with the notion that observation by an observer has the effect of forcing a fixed measurement of a quantum phenomenon ("collapses the wave function"), but WHY should THAT mean that the observer cannot therefore be a physical entity consisting entirely of physical events/processes? And if that is all the observer is, then WHY should this thesis imply that a conscious mind (an observer) is non-physically derived?

> that's it. that's the entire answer.

Well you can see my questions and why I don't find the answers satisfying yet. Is there more you can give or have we struck bottom?

> >So WHAT is the "abstract I" ... ?
>
> the abstract I is generally taken to mean the consciousness of the
> observer;

The state of being a subject, being an observer as it were?

Okay, I think we can all agree (or most of us anyway) that there is a subjective aspect to us that we associate with the phenomena of our mental lives, with being a subject, with perceiving, observing and knowing. But the issue is NOT whether there is this aspect to existence but what its presence in the universe means!

The issue is what is this consciousness and where does it come from, how does it arise?

The Dennettian model which I support suggests that it is just so many things happening on certain types of physical platforms, that it is just so many process-based sub-systems working together in a kind of overarching system. As such it is perfectly physical in the sense that it is entirely dependent on physical events for its existence. It does not exist in a parallel way, it does not peer into the universe through some kind of monadic window, it does not emerge superimposed on, but distinct from, an otherwise physical world, etc. Consciousness on this view is just one of the things the physical universe produces under certain circumstances. This is NOT to say it is the same as all other physical things, only that it is physically derived.

Now why should a set of assumptions associated with a presupposition of separation of observer from all instances of what is observed count as an argument AGAINST the possibility of the Dennettian model being true? (THIS IS THE ORIGINAL QUESTION SINCE YOU PRESENTED THIS AS AN ARGUMENT AGAINST THE DENNETTIAN MODEL.)

It seems to me that this von Neumann based claim you want to make essentially has the same flaw (although harder to tease out because of the extra technical locutions and QM jargon relied on) of any other claim that there is a "hard problem", an "explanatory gap", a need to account for qualia as a distinct mental property of the universe, etc., etc., which separates the mental from what is physical in some ontological way. That is, it assumes dualism in order to prove that Dennett's argument for a non-dualistic account of consciousness fails. But you cannot assume the argument fails in order to demonstrate it fails.

>but, of course, that leads us to the next problem: the word
> 'consciousness' is ambiguous. it can refer to the stream of experiences,
> the experiencer (or bundler-together) of that stream --- both of which I
> consider to be phenomenological realities. but consciousness can also
> refer to an alleged non-physical but metaphenomenal entity (what I would
> call an I-3) that causes or contributes to generating the
> phenomenological realities actually experienced by the experiencing I or
> the experiencer of its experiences)

If there is, indeed, such a thing. But by asserting that that is what YOU mean by "consciousness" aren't you just relying on a stipulation to show us that that is what consciousness is? After all, we don't all think it's the case that consciousness is a "metaphenomenal entity" and, if it isn't, then why is it wrong to say it isn't? Isn't THAT exactly what the challenge to Dennett you have made is all about, i.e., to show that Dennetts thesis can't work because von Neumann's thesis (as you have interpreted it) may be true?

How do you demonstrate it is true without already assuming that von Neumann's formulation correctly reflects the way things are and that YOUR interpretation of von Neumann is sound?

--- what I would call the I-2.

> >Are you proposing that the "abstract I" is some kind of spiritual
> >co-existent with the brains and bodies where it is manifest? What,
> >exactly, is your thesis re: this?
>
> von Neumann did not say anything about the abstract I beyond what has
> already been discussed:

I asked what YOU are proposing since you are making this case, not von Neumann, and you have already acknowledged to us that your breakdown of the issues differs from his!

> it is in division III (making it non-physical)
> and it collapses the wave function (making it causally effective).

BUT WHY SHOULD A MECHANISTICALLY BASED MIND NOT ALSO BE CAUSALLY EFFECTIVE?????

> I'm running out of time so I'll leave for another post any attempt to
> clarify the differences between what you call physical and what I call
> physical.
>
> Joe

You mean there are still differences between us on that? I thought we had resolved that one.

SWM

3.4.

Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:16 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> The following snipets help me to clarify my position
>
> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>

> > the observer cannot be a physically derived phenomenon?
>
> hence..
>

> > requires that we posit something non-physical
> > as the source of consciousness...
>

> 1. The term "physical" covers tangible objects which we can contact
> perceptually, as well as all sorts of non-perceptual phenomena including
> particles without mass, dark matter, forces and waves.
>
> 2. Given that all the above preceded conscious beings, then some or all
> of that stuff must be implicated in the biological basis of
> consciousness.

> 3. Physics may deem some old phenomena, or new stuff, as non-physical,
> because, theoretically, it makes sense to make this distinction. But the
> "non-physical", as used by them, will not refer to what we refer to as
> consciousness, mind, spirit, etc.

> 4. Hence, advances in physics and neurology will not resolve our
> conceptual dilemma, viz.,

No one suggested that such advances resolved conceptual dilemmas although they certainly must be taken account of in any conceptual consideration!

> a- Is it useful for us to consider consciousness as a thing, an object,
> that which stands as such, the way objects (of all stripe do) something
> generated by some other object and, by implication, set a causal
> relationship between the brain state and the mental state? The reasons
> for and against!

Why is that an issue? Who claims consciousness is a thing like an object? Certainly I haven't and I don't think anyone else in this discussion has either!

> b- Is it more useful to think of consciousness, mental states as
> behavior, as what a person does, with no implication that the person is
> any kind of substance,

Who is proposing that we think of a person or a mind as a "substance"? (On the other hand, I am saying that some of us here, you for instance, do tend to fall into the mindset of supposing that mental phenomena are ontologically separate in every way from physical phenomena which is, I have further argued, a form of implicit dualism.)

> nor his mental states existing in time-space

If they are the products of brains then they are in the same time-space locus as the brains which produce them in a very important sense!

> and
> (by implication) not causally related to the biological origins? But,
> rather, view consciousness as consciousness of a person who is thinking,
> acting agent and hence (by implication) treat consciousness as an tool
> employed by the person to be evaluated, not mechanically, but
> rationally!
>
> bruce

I don't think considering brains the source or seat of minds is to deny that we may think of minds in other ways, too!

On the other hand, I don't see any sensible way we can "treat consciousness as a tool employed by the person" as you put it. THAT is just a very odd locution. Am I a tool of myself? Do I use myself to be me? This stretches ordinary language beyond where it can intelligibly go (speaking of "intelligibility").

SWM

3.5.

Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:03 pm (PST)

SWM & JP,

Jpolanik wrote:

> > first, there is no one to one mapping from my system for numbering
> > reality types to von Neumann's system for numbering the divisions of the
> > world.
> >
> > this should have been obvious.

Prompting SWM to ask:

> Why "obvious" since you initially presented this as von Neumann's thesis which, if true, you said would mean that a mechanistic picture of how consciousness works would be wrong. So why would it have been "obvious" to me that you weren't actually presenting von Neumann's thesis but Joe Polanik's? I, II and III is his. 1, 2 and 3 yours and yours, as J noticed, doesn't correspond precisely to von Neumann's.

For the record, I thought it was obvious as well, though I recognize that "obviousness" is very much relative to the individual reading.

I didn't "notice" that I,II, and III in von Neumann didn't "correspond precisely" to Polanik's 1,2, and 3, because I didn't think that such a thing was even being suggested in the first place by his remarks. It seemed obvious to me that he was presenting two different classification schemes, using a different numbering convention for each, and explaining how he sees these different classifications relating to one another.

It actually hadn't even occurred to me that he might be conflating the two, so there was no "noticing" that they didn't "correspond precisely". I didn't expect for even a moment that they should.

JPDeMouy

3.6.

Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:12 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "J" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> For the record, I thought it was obvious as well, though I recognize that "obviousness" is very much relative to the individual reading.
>
> I didn't "notice" that I,II, and III in von Neumann didn't "correspond precisely" to Polanik's 1,2, and 3, because I didn't think that such a thing was even being suggested in the first place by his remarks. It seemed obvious to me that he was presenting two different classification schemes, using a different numbering convention for each, and explaining how he sees these different classifications relating to one another.
>
> It actually hadn't even occurred to me that he might be conflating the two, so there was no "noticing" that they didn't "correspond precisely". I didn't expect for even a moment that they should.
>
> JPDeMouy

Well perhaps you're just much smarter than I am, J. I will admit that I found Joe's initial formulations of I, II and III and 1, 2 and 3 confusing (and didn't really bother much with them). But when he focused on the claim that he was applying the idea(s) of von Neumann to challenge Dennett, I focused on what von Neumann had to say (I, II and III) in order to understand his point.

That Joe had a second formulation which was not, strictly speaking, von Neumann, didn't seem relevant to me when he said that it was von Neumann's conclusion/supposition that mattered. Apparently, after much sturm und drang it now appears it is not von Neumann's argument at all but Joe Polanik's argument, which no longer has the veneer of von Neumann's authority, but, in fact, involves a departure from von Neumann's claims. If so, what was the point of citing von Neumann as the basis for denying Dennett? That is, if von Neumann didn't insist on an "abstract I" qua "metaphenomenal entity" then von Neumann's thesis is NOT a counter (effective or otherwise) to the possibility that Dennett's model is a correct one.

And then the argument is over unless and until Joe can answer the subsequent questions I put to him about the role of his metaphenomenal phenomenon.

SWM

3.7.

Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:46 pm (PST)

SWM,

> Well perhaps you're just much smarter than I am, J.

More likely I merely read more attentively. I always get the feeling that you don't take your time. I do that too, only in different ways. When I am irritated, I tend to express myself in needlessly contentious ways when I would be better off pausing and waiting to send a reply.

It seems (I may be wrong) that you reply as you read - going line by line - and in so doing sometimes miss the connection between individual remarks and the larger message. It even seems that in the course of replying to one line, you sometimes forget a point made a few lines before and so lose things that might be obvious to someone who had read the message from beginning to end before replying.

it is not von Neumann's argument at all but Joe
> Polanik's argument, which no longer has the veneer of von
> Neumann's authority, but, in fact, involves a departure from
> von Neumann's claims.

I've stated my views on JPolanik's reading of von Neumann elsewhere. But for the record, you shouldn't be unduly impressed by the authority of von Neumann or anyone else in matters like this. Or rather: whether or not von Neumann said thus and such, you should also consider whether other experts agree on the particular point at issue. Clearly, in physics and mathematics, von Neumann is an expert and one disagrees with him at one's peril, but "expertise" in the INTERPRETATION of quantum mechanics is another matter. There are so many competing views held by people who ARE experts on the experimental and mathematical side (and who are largely in AGREEMENT on THOSE issues) that we shouldn't really speak of "authority" here.

JPDeMouy

3.8.

Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:57 pm (PST)

I just responded to your other comments but may have lost them. I don't know if I want to plow through all that stuff again since my responses were extensive. If that reply doesn't show up I'll make a decision later on as to whether to try to recap.

In the meantime, I read your assertions that you believe I do not understand Searle's Chinese Room Argument and that you think there is evidence for this on "GoogleGroups". As I said to you in THAT response, feel free to cite specifics with links and cut-and-pastes as needed. Just making allusions to what others have claimed, to things you have alleged you have read, etc., without specifics is not to make an argument.

I especially noted your statement that I do not understand what Searle means by "strong AI". I suggest you present evidence for that claim at which point I shall be glad to address it. Aside from that, I am not overly interested in unsubstantiated allusions. I expect you can do better than that.

When you post your evidence for your claims with regard to my position on the CRA I suggest a separate thread be started, clearly labeled so others on this list who would probably prefer to avoid this rehash can do so without being inadvertently inconvenienced.

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "J" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> SWM,
>
> > Well perhaps you're just much smarter than I am, J.
>

> More likely I merely read more attentively. I always get the feeling that you don't take your time. I do that too, only in different ways. When I am irritated, I tend to express myself in needlessly contentious ways when I would be better off pausing and waiting to send a reply.
>
> It seems (I may be wrong) that you reply as you read - going line by line -

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It depends on the day's dynamics. Either way, I generally go back and re-read before hitting send and make any changes that new information below requires to what I have already written up top.

> and in so doing sometimes miss the connection between individual remarks and the larger message.

In the case of Joe and the Quantum connection I wasn't following along closely until Joe made the claim that von Neumann's thesis undermines the Dennettian model at which point I began paying attention. My interest was in what von Neumann had to say and how it might be interpeted contra Dennett, that's all. When I realized that Joe was tweaking the argument to get his "metaphenomenal" take on it, it became less interesting but something I will still address if Joe wants to continue. He just has to answer the questions I posed.

> It even seems that in the course of replying to one line, you sometimes forget a point made a few lines before and so lose things that might be obvious to someone who had read the message from beginning to end before replying.

I'm sure that happens. When I'm doing more than one thing at a time it's certainly possible. But as noted above, the reason I did not immediately pick up on the 1,2,3 vs. I, II, III dichotomy is I wasn't following closely re: the former and was mainly interested in von Neumann's thesis as reflected in the latter.

> it is not von Neumann's argument at all but Joe
> > Polanik's argument, which no longer has the veneer of von
> > Neumann's authority, but, in fact, involves a departure from
> > von Neumann's claims.
>
> I've stated my views on JPolanik's reading of von Neumann elsewhere. But for the record, you shouldn't be unduly impressed by the authority of von Neumann or anyone else in matters like this.

For the record it had nothing to do with being impressed by von Neumann. Joe asserted that von Neumann had made a claim recognized as sound by at least some physicists which, if true, undermined Dennett's claim about consciousness. When I asked about that, he alluded to the role of consciousness in "collapsing the wave function" and I was interested to see how that might affect Dennett's thesis. As of now, I have concluded there isn't much there whatever von Neumann's actual position, but I am still open to seeing more from Joe.

> Or rather: whether or not von Neumann said thus and such, you should also consider whether other experts agree on the particular point at issue.

Here is a clear case of your misreading me, the very thing you've accused me of doing! Joe's point did not, on my view, hinge on whether von Neumann's thesis was accepted as gospel by all or some physicists but only if whether, if true, it really did undermine Dennett's model. As noted, from what I've seen so far it doesn't.

Anyway, given the tenor of your comments to me elsewhere concerning your opinion of my understanding of Searle's CRA (as expressed in discussion with Ron Allen or anyone else), I now expect you to cite some actual passages and provide the URLs we can link to so we can see the context and then let's see who has it right on the CRA.

By the way, while impugning my view of the CRA without specifying just what you are impugning about it, you have yet to present us with your interpretation and position on it. Perhaps that would be helpful in this context, too. Please do proceed with this as I never appreciate the kind of sniping you evidenced in that other post, making allegations without anything to back them up but allusions and innuendo.

Thank you.

SWM

> Clearly, in physics and mathematics, von Neumann is an expert and one disagrees with him at one's peril, but "expertise" in the INTERPRETATION of quantum mechanics is another matter. There are so many competing views held by people who ARE experts on the experimental and mathematical side (and who are largely in AGREEMENT on THOSE issues) that we shouldn't really speak of "authority" here.
>
> JPDeMouy

> Need Something? Check here: http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrslinks/

4a.

On Time

Posted by: "Cayuse" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:07 pm (PST)

The following text has been copied from "Lectures on Philosophy" (LW 1932-33):
http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/at/wittgens.htm

12 [...] In general the sentences we are tempted to utter occur in practical situations. But then there is a different way we are tempted to utter sentences. This is when we look at language, consciously direct our attention on it. And then we make up sentences of which we say that they also ought to make sense. A sentence of this sort might not have any particular use, but because it sounds English we consider it sensible. Thus, for example, we talk of the flow of time and consider it sensible to talk of its flow, after the analogy of rivers.

13 If we look at a river in which numbered logs are floating, we can describe events on land with reference to these, e.g., "When the 105th log passed, I ate dinner". Suppose the log makes a bang on passing me. We can say these bangs are separated by equal, or unequal, intervals. We could also say one set of bangs was twice as fast as another set. But the equality or inequality of intervals so measured is entirely different from that measured by a clock. The phrase "length of interval" has its sense in virtue of the way we determine it, and differs according to the method of measurement. Hence the criteria for equality of intervals between passing logs and for equality of intervals measured by a clock are different. We cannot say that two bangs two seconds apart differ only in degree from those an hour apart, for we have no feeling of rhythm if the interval is an hour long. And to say that one rhythm of bangs is faster than another is different from saying that the interval between these two bangs passed much more slowly than the interval between another pair.

Suppose that the passing logs seem to be equal distances apart. We have an experience of what might be called the velocity of these (though not what is measured by a clock). Let us say the river moves uniformly in this sense. But if we say time passed more quickly between logs 1 and 100 than between logs 100 and 200, this is only an analogy; really nothing has passed more quickly. To say time passes more quickly, or that time flows, is to imagine something flowing. We then extend the simile and talk about the direction of time. When people talk of the direction of time, precisely the analogy of a river is before them. Of course a river can change its direction of flow, but one has a feeling of giddiness when one talks of time being reversed. The reason is that the notion of flowing, of something, and of the direction of the flow is embodied in our language.

Suppose that at certain intervals situations repeated themselves, and that someone said time was circular. Would this be right or wrong? Neither. It would only be another way of _expression_, and we could just as well talk of a circular time. However, the picture of time as flowing, as having a direction, is one that suggests itself very vigorously.

Suppose someone said that the river on which the logs float had a beginning and will have an end, that there will be 100 more logs and that will be the end. It might be said that there is an experience which would verify these statements. Compare this with saying that time ceases. What is the criterion for its ceasing or for its going on? You might say that time ceases when "Time River" ceases. Suppose we had no substantive "time", that we talked only of the passing of logs. Then we could have a measurement of time without any substantive "time". Or we could talk of time coming to an end, meaning that the logs came to an end. We could in this sense talk of time coming to an end.

Can time go on apart from events? What is the criterion for time involved in "Events began 100 years ago and time began 200 years ago"? Has time been created, or was the world created in time? These questions are asked after the analogy of "Has this chair been made?", and are like asking whether order has been created (a "before" and "after"). "Time" as a substantive is terribly misleading. We have got to make the rules of the game before we play it. Discussion of "the flow of time" shows how philosophical problems arise. Philosophical troubles are caused by not using language practically but by extending it on looking at it. We form sentences and then wonder what they can mean. Once conscious of "time" as a substantive, we ask then about the creation of time.
4b.

Re: On Time

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:53 pm (PST)

Cayuse,

Was this offered in response to my mentioning not having the Ambroise text handy? If so, I thank you.

JPDeMouy

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> The following text has been copied from "Lectures on Philosophy" (LW 1932-33):
> http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/at/wittgens.htm

4c.

Re: On Time

Posted by: "Cayuse" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:40 pm (PST)

J wrote:
> Cayuse,
>
> Was this offered in response to my mentioning not having the Ambroise
> text handy? If so, I thank you.

J,
I'm not familiar with Alice Ambrose's book --
if there's a connection with my post then it's incidental.
I was just giving an example of how "Philosophy is a battle against the
bewitchment of our intelligence by means of our language" (PI 109).
And while I'm at it, may I take this opportunity to thank you for
injecting a little sanity into some of the ongoing discussions here.

4d.

Re: On Time

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:25 pm (PST)

Cayuse,

Sean had mentioned receiving the Alice Ambrose book for Christmas and I expressed my interest in his thoughts on the text but warned him that I didn't have the text handy. Your sharing of that excerpt was therefore well-timed.

(My personal library is in storage on the other side of the country right now so except for my many ebooks, I am without Wittgenstein. Fortunately, I have quite a few ebooks/html vesions: NB, TLP, PR, PG, BB, RFM, LFM, LC, CV, PI, Z, RPPI&II, LWPPI&II, RC, OC... And where I recall a remark and roughly where it occurs in a text, Google Books can help, as when I recently quoted a remark recorded by Bouwsma.)

> And while I'm at it, may I take this opportunity to thank
> you for injecting a little sanity into some of the ongoing
> discussions here.

"Very little" I fear.

Being appreciated is always appreciated. Unfortunately, some of my most recent participation has been ill-considered, petulant, and foolhardy. That's not to say they might not still have been helpful in some way or another but I'm not sure how much sanity they show.

Thanks again.

JPDeMouy

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group