[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 77

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 18 Dec 2009 10:38:46 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (4 Messages)

1a.
Re: [C] Re: The Referent of 'I' From: Joseph Polanik
1b.
Re: [C] Re: The Referent of 'I' From: Cayuse
2a.
Re: The Referent of 'I' From: void
3.
Re: Wittgenstein and Theories From: Sean Wilson

Messages

1a.

Re: [C] Re: The Referent of 'I'

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:40 am (PST)

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>Cayuse wrote:

>>>Examples would help.

>>obviously, I am one example. as discussed before your recent hiatus,
>>I use 'I' to self-reference the container or bundler-together of this
>>stream of experiences.

>There is a stream of experience -- that much is, as Chalmers puts it,
>a "brute fact" --

there is not just one stream of experiences. the brute fact is that I
have my steam of experiences, you have a different stream of
experiences, your stream of experiences.

>but where is this "container" or "bundler-together"?

I am here.

if you don't like the 'container' or 'bundler-together' metaphors, you
might try some other --- unless, of course, you deny having any
relationship whatsoever with your own stream of experiences. do you?

>What is to be gained by postulating any such entity?

there is no postulating. as I demonstrated, experience implies an
experiencer --- unless, of course, you want to resume your attempted
refutation of that claim.

>What practical advantage does talk of any such entity confer?

if by 'practical advantage' you mean will it help you make money, the
answer is no.

it is possible that the result of philosophical inquiry is nothing more
than learning what is true and/or unlearning what is false. if that is
not a sufficient advantage; then, you may have selected the wrong hobby.

>>I am now experiencing philosophizing about this which I am; hence,
>>this experiencing I is an instance of the philosophical self.

>Above, you wrote "I use 'I' to self-reference the container or
>bundler-together of this stream of experiences" but now you're using
>'I' to refer to some presumed "experiencer" of this stream of
>experiences. Are you implying that the "container or bundler-together"
>is at the same time and in some as yet unexplained manner the
>"experiencer" of that stream?

you have it turned around. the fact is that I am the experiencer of my
stream of experiences. who else would be the experiencer of my stream of
experiences? is anyone besides you the experiencer of your stream of
experiences?

'container' and 'bundler-together' are metaphorical descriptions of the
relation between an experiencer and its experiences. if you have a
different metaphor for that relation; then, why not tell us what that it
is.

>>as to the second point, it's not entirely clear just what LW meant by
>>the cryptic remarks that you quote, "the limit of the world -- not a
>>part of it".

>You recruited LW's comment (TLP 5.641) to your cause, and you're not
>sure what he means?

if you are certain you have the one and only true and correct
interpretation of that phrase, "the limit of the world -- not a part
of it"; then, don't keep us in suspense. tell us what LW meant by it.

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

1b.

Re: [C] Re: The Referent of 'I'

Posted by: "Cayuse" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:16 am (PST)

Joseph Polanik wrote:
> Cayuse wrote:
>> Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>> obviously, I am one example. as discussed before your recent hiatus,
>>> I use 'I' to self-reference the container or bundler-together of
>>> this stream of experiences.
>
>> There is a stream of experience -- that much is, as Chalmers puts it,
>> a "brute fact" --
>
> there is not just one stream of experiences. the brute fact is that I
> have my steam of experiences, you have a different stream of
> experiences, your stream of experiences.

Negative -- that is not a brute fact but a plausible supposition.
A stream of experiences cannot be demonstrated by anybody to anybody.

>> but where is this "container" or "bundler-together"?
>
> I am here.

My wife enters the house and calls my name. I reply "I am here".
The proclamation has an application in this case, but not in the case
that you present. We're just covering old ground here, and we made
no headway the last time around. I don't see the point of this.

> if you don't like the 'container' or 'bundler-together' metaphors, you
> might try some other --- unless, of course, you deny having any
> relationship whatsoever with your own stream of experiences. do you?

As per our last discussion, there is a stream of experiences.
Any postulate of an "experiencer" is unjustified and without application.
Are we going to have our last discussion all over again?

>> What is to be gained by postulating any such entity?
>
> there is no postulating. as I demonstrated, experience implies an
> experiencer --- unless, of course, you want to resume your attempted
> refutation of that claim.

The claim that "there is experience, therefore there is an experiencer"
is simply bad logic. I've no great desire to disabuse you of your error,
which is as much to say as that I'm happy to agree to disagree in order
to avoid wasting any more time on this issue.

>> What practical advantage does talk of any such entity confer?
>
> if by 'practical advantage' you mean will it help you make money, the
> answer is no.

I mean how might it be useful in our attempts to negotiate the world
in our daily lives (like the example I gave of my wife returning home).
This really is getting tedious.

> it is possible that the result of philosophical inquiry is nothing
> more than learning what is true and/or unlearning what is false. if
> that is not a sufficient advantage; then, you may have selected the
> wrong hobby.

You should take your own advice and learn to recognize the faulty
logic of your claim. Since you consistently fail to understand this point,
I strongly suggest we agree to disagree.

>>> I am now experiencing philosophizing about this which I am; hence,
>>> this experiencing I is an instance of the philosophical self.
>
>> Above, you wrote "I use 'I' to self-reference the container or
>> bundler-together of this stream of experiences" but now you're using
>> 'I' to refer to some presumed "experiencer" of this stream of
>> experiences. Are you implying that the "container or
>> bundler-together" is at the same time and in some as yet unexplained
>> manner the "experiencer" of that stream?
>
> you have it turned around. the fact is that I am the experiencer of my
> stream of experiences. who else would be the experiencer of my stream
> of experiences? is anyone besides you the experiencer of your stream
> of experiences?

There is no experiencer, there is only the erroneous *idea* of an
experiencer appearing as an aspect of that stream of experiences
(grounded in the faulty logic of the claim that "there is experience,
therefore there is an experiencer"). Oh boy. How many times...

> 'container' and 'bundler-together' are metaphorical descriptions of
> the relation between an experiencer and its experiences. if you have a
> different metaphor for that relation; then, why not tell us what that
> it is.

The relationship between the experiencer and the stream of experiences
is that the former is a fiction appearing in the latter. Good grief, man.

>>> as to the second point, it's not entirely clear just what LW meant
>>> by the cryptic remarks that you quote, "the limit of the world --
>>> not a part of it".
>
>> You recruited LW's comment (TLP 5.641) to your cause, and you're not
>> sure what he means?
>
> if you are certain you have the one and only true and correct
> interpretation of that phrase, "the limit of the world -- not a part
> of it"; then, don't keep us in suspense. tell us what LW meant by it.

I'm sure I don't need to remind you that it was you that recruited 5.641
to support your argument, not me. The onus is therefore upon you to
show how it is consistent with your claim for an "experiencer" of the
stream of experiences. Of course, you could just start a game of "onus
ping-pong" in order to distract from your great difficulty in doing this,
but that would be nothing more than gamesmanship and would not
deserve to be dignified with a response.

2a.

Re: The Referent of 'I'

Posted by: "void" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:55 am (PST)

> I am my world; but, not a part of it?
>
> I am the limit of my world?
>
> Joe
>
> Self-theories have traditionally failed to distinguish between different sources that inform self-knowledge, these are episodic memory' and semantic memory. Both episodic and semantic memory are facets of declarative memory, which contains memory of facts. Declarative memory is the explicit counterpart to procedural memory, which is implicit in that it applies to skills we have learnt; they are not facts that can be stated.

So as you said I as a memory,I as _expression_,I as exclamation.
I as cognitive,I as affective,I as executive.
This may be pictured as I.

thank you
sekhar

> --
>
> Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware
>
> @^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
> http://what-am-i.net
> @^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

> Need Something? Check here: http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrslinks/

3.

Re: Wittgenstein and Theories

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:29 pm (PST)

... I just had a thought.

I've always been troubled by how certain remarks of Wittgenstein are understood. In particular, the ones about theorizing. Wittgenstein quite clearly told his students that he was never presenting a theoretical account of anything and that to do so was inherently problematic. Examples:

1. During the Christmas break in 1930 in discussions he said with Schlick and Waismann, he said,

(a). "For me, a theory is without value. A theory gives me nothing." (Monk, 304).

(b). And in another context: "If I were told anything that was a theory, I would say, No, no! That does not interest me -- it would not be the exact thing I was looking for." (305)

(c) And again, in another context: "You cannot gain a fundamental understanding of mathematics by waiting for a theory." (307)

2. When lecturing in 1938, Wittgenstein had used as an example the deterioration of the German musical tradition. Rush Rhees, one of his students, then asked Wittgenstein about his theory of deterioration --  to which Wittgenstein reacted, horrified, "Do you think I have a theory? Do you think I'm saying what deterioration is? What I do is describe different things called 'deterioration.'" (405)

3. "It was important to Wittgenstein's conception of his philosophical method that there could be no disagreements of opinion between himself and Turing. In his philosophy he was not advancing any theses, so how could there possibly be anything to disagree with? When Turing once used the phrase, 'I see your point,' Wittgenstein reacted forcefully: 'I have no point.'  If Turing was inclined to object to what Wittgenstein was saying ...  it could only be a question of giving meaning to words. Or, rather, it could only be a question of Turing's not understanding Wittgenstein's use of certain words." (419)

I had always maintained this strand of Wittgenstein's thought was misunderstood by many people. Some people read it as saying that conceptualism or abstract sort of thinking is disallowed. This is clearly not the case. My old way of saying it was this: Wittgenstein is against "formalism, not conceptualism." I would say: he's against making certain subjects (language, art, etc) into a mathematics or a logic. In what are incredibly radical lectures, he was also against making mathematics itself into a kind of "mathematics" or logic in the sense that I am now speaking.

But I think I have found a better way to say this. It came upon me when ordering coffee today. Here is the way to say it. Wittgenstein is against LAWS, not "theories." That is, he has a particular use of "theories" that is formalistic and pristine. When he says "theory," he means a proposition that is a candidate to become a law. Theories as law-candidates. I don't mean law in a legal sense (though it be a cousin in the family); I mean "law" like "natural law" or the the "iron law of oligarchy," or "the law of physics," etc. Unified theory. The one true proposition.

The idea is this. Whenever someone formally places a theory into play, what they are doing is offering the candidacy of a proposition. If the proposition survives its candidacy (in the academy), it becomes a sort of law for the thing in question.

So Wittgenstein is against these rituals. He's against this whole activity. And the best way to say it TODAY is to simply re-read the passages above, substituting the word LAW for theory. Wittgenstein is against the offering of laws for understanding. Understanding does not consist in the ritual of  trying to propound laws. Wittgenstein is NOT against conceptual accounts of things that actually occur (e.g., games). He's not against thinking and pondering. He's not against "picturing" (because it can't be avoided), but he does want you to understand what "picturing" is. What he is fundamentally against is an approach to understanding wherein a person will try to produce a law for the activity -- at least for language, ethics, aesthetics, mathematics and many others. (One assumes he is not against something like this in science. But maybe even here, it could have issues).

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University