[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 76

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 17 Dec 2009 10:42:50 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (10 Messages)

1.1.
Re: Dehane a physicalist? From: SWM
2.1.
Re: Emergence From: void
3a.
Re: The Referent of 'I' From: void
3b.
Re: The Referent of 'I' From: Cayuse
3c.
The Referent of 'I' From: Joseph Polanik
3d.
The Referent of 'I' From: Joseph Polanik
3e.
Re: The Referent of 'I' From: Cayuse
3f.
Re: The Referent of 'I' From: void
4.1.
Re: On what it means to explain consciousness From: BruceD
4.2.
Re: On what it means to explain consciousness From: SWM

Messages

1.1.

Re: Dehane a physicalist?

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:12 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>
> "Should Dehaene and company shut down because you cannot abide the
> notion that brains produce consciousness while you yet have nothing
> better to offer?"
>
> Let's take it a piece at a time. I find Dehaene's work fantastic and
> worthy of full support. But I'm not convinced that he means "brains
> produce consciousness" in the sense that bones produce blood.

Well of course he doesn't. And neither do I. Blood is a physical substance and consciousness is a set of operations performed by physical processes on the view I am espousing and ascribing to Dehaene. Just because "produce" is used doesn't mean the same type of production or the same type of result is obtained.

Perhaps this onoging dispute is just about words? Are you in agreement that brains produce consciousness in the way I have described only you don't want to call it "produce" or "cause" or "engender" and just want to say consciousness "emeerges"? Well, okay to that, from my perspective as long as we mean the same thing by the locutions each of us settles on.

In that case what is there left to argue about? If you agree that Dehaene's research is sound and that the idea that brains make consciousness in the way described but you would rather say consciousness emerges from brains in this way, go for it.

> Excerpt of review
>
> "The main thing Stanislas and his team noticed is that when neural
> activity in the brain exceeds a particular communications threshold
> across multiple brain areas, the brain enters a large-scale synchronous
> state and consciousness appears. The researchers have also devised an
> empirical test for the presence of consciousness and tested it on human
> patients in coma, vegitative state, and locked-in syndrome. So far,
> their test seems to reliably detect which patients have residual
> consciousness."
>
> To say: "Consciousness appears", when the brain enters a
> Synchronous-State, is inconsistent with saying that the S-State causes
> consciousness because the S-State is simultaneous with consciousness.

No, IT IS NOT. The reference is to information picked up that Dehaene says can be used as evidence of the presence of consciousness. But in his own talk, not the "review", he proceeds to explain the theory that he believes his identification of synchronous activity in the brain AS A MARKER FOR CONSCIOUSNESS implies. And that is that consciousness just is this syncrhonous activity when it reaches a certain level (involving a certain set of brain funtionalities in the brain's various parts).

> It
> is consistent with saying "with my brain I regain
> consciousness, comparable to with my hands I play the piano.

Yes, it is consistent with a dualist presumption (that consciousness and brain activity just happen to occur simultaneously) but that is NOT what Dehaene concludes from it. Read his talk!

> On doing better.
>
> Global Neuronal Workspace
>
> Just like my desk top. Completely described on the physical level? Yes,
> if you mean how these letters appear when I strike the keys. But No, if
> you mean why this sequence of letters. To answer the latter question,
> one must ask my intention.

His notion of a "global neuronal workspace" involves the supposition of an area of activity in the same way we can speak of computational workspaces. The physical activity underlies it but it is on the level of the activities themselves that the workspace is defined. The turning wheel has a space within which the turning occurs but the space is not the wheel anymore than the turning is. It's the locus of the turning. And yet it's all physical from the wheel to the turning to the space within which everything occurs.

> D starts with my intention. The GNW is a tool, like my desk top. His
> research makes more sense if thought of in terms of the instruments I
> use to complete tasks.
>
> bruce

So you still cannot shake the picture of you using your brain to be conscious? But what would it be like if YOU didn't, if you used something else? Is that conceivable? Does it make any sense?

Since you're the one who once made the claim that it is "unintelligible" to speak of brains as causing consciousness (even in the sense of "cause" that I have invoked), you cannot disregard the intelligibility question here. So is it intelligible to speak of a conscious being using his, her or its brain to be conscious?

How could such a being use something else? Can we just slip our consciousness from our brain to our pinkie toe at will? Or to any other kind of entity? Is consciousness to be conceived as a separate entity that can pass from platform to platform? (Note that I am not referring to where we focus our attention, what we are most aware of, etc. I am speaking here, of course, about whether minds can move from one physical medium to another which is reasonably inferred from any claim that 'I USE my brain to be conscious'.)

There is an interesting sci-fi concept in which a person replicates his body via cloning and then uploads himself into the new clone's brain with all his memories, etc., intact. An interesting concept to be sure but isn't this more like a recording than the passing of a soul from one body to another? Is there any way in which it could make sense to say the consciousness has moved, absent the notion that the consciousness is, itself, a separate and distinct entity?

But if it is that, then we are back to dualism which, if true, requires a lot more evidence than we currently have. Absent that evidence, by insisting on a dualist picture, we are speculating in a way that violates the Occam's Razor standard.

Now that standard is no guarantee that we must always adhere to the simplest, least complex explanation, to discover the truth, but there is plenty of good experiential history in the record of the progress of science (knowledge of the world) to support adherence to this standard.

Is it your wish, then, that we ignore all of that now and choose dualism, in the absence of any good reason to do so, merely because we happen to like that picture better (since it makes humans special in the universe, entities not governed by the physical laws that seem to govern everything else)?

Anyway, I suspect there is more here between us than just a disagreement over words. But at least some of our problem involves word usage which, if we could get clear on this aspect, we might at least finally be able to focus on the core problem between us which, I suspect, is the difference in how willing each of us is to entertain the idea that consciousness can be understood as fully explicable in terms of the physical universe.

And that is to say that our difference here boils down to differences in our respective allegiances to competing ideas (just as Sean suggested earlier on).

SWM

2.1.

Re: Emergence

Posted by: "void" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:51 am (PST)

> Note: To say that mind is emergent is not say it is a new substance or spirit. Dualism is irrelevant.
>
> bruce

As noted above, there is a growing body of evidence showing the direct impact of environment and experience on the brain, and this is undermining scientists' ability to exploit dualistic tendencies in popular culture. Nevertheless, the fact that such a tearing-down process has been necessary with the rise of modern neuroscience suggests the degree to which a latent mind-body dualism persists, even in the 21st century.
As long as one speaks,writes,thinks,acts, one is under the spell of dualistic phenomena. Even though observer is the observed they both appear as distinct phenomena.

thank you
sekhar

> Need Something? Check here: http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrslinks/

3a.

Re: The Referent of 'I'

Posted by: "void" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:55 am (PST)

> important for our purposes is that LW claims that the philosophical
> subject is not the I-0, the I-1 or the I-3. by the process of
> elimination, that leaves the I-2 as the philosophical subject.
>
> Joe
> If the claim of philosophers to be unbiased were all it pretends to be, it would also have to take account of language and its whole significance in relation to speculative philosophy ... Language is partly something originally given, partly that which develops freely. And just as the individual can never reach the point at which he becomes absolutely independent ... so too with language.

Wikipedia

thank you
sekhar

> --
>
> Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware
>
> @^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
> http://what-am-i.net
> @^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

> Need Something? Check here: http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrslinks/

3b.

Re: The Referent of 'I'

Posted by: "Cayuse" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:53 am (PST)

Joseph Polanik wrote:
> Cayuse wrote:
>> The word "I" pertains to the physical organism *that is using it*.
>
> the word 'I' is a syntactic device by which its user self-references.

Yes, its user being the physical organism.

> your belief that 'I' always self-references the physical organism is
> untenable. not all people use it that way.

Examples would help.

>> Having an application means more than just being able to construct a
>> sentence with a word, it means that the sentence so constructed does
>> useful work in the world
>
> LW's application of 'self' usefully distinguishes a legitimate topic
> of philosophical concern from what you are currently blathering
> about. the experiencing I is a topic of philosophical concern the I
> that is just a human body is not.

LW's application of the word 'self' (i.e. the one that "philosophy
can talk about in a non-psychological way") is not your postulated
"experiencing I" but "the limit of the world -- not a part of it."

3c.

The Referent of 'I'

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:11 pm (PST)

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>Cayuse wrote:

>>>The word "I" pertains to the physical organism *that is using it*.

>>your belief that 'I' always self-references the physical organism is
>>untenable. not all people use it that way.

>Examples would help.

obviously, I am one example. as discussed before your recent hiatus, I
use 'I' to self-reference the container or bundler-together of this
stream of experiences.

I also use it in other ways, of course. the 'I' of vernacular english is
very ambiguous.

>>>Having an application means more than just being able to construct a
>>>sentence with a word, it means that the sentence so constructed does
>>>useful work in the world

>>LW's application of 'self' usefully distinguishes a legitimate topic
>>of philosophical concern from what you are currently blathering
>>about. the experiencing I is a topic of philosophical concern; the I
>>that is just a human body is not.

>LW's application of the word 'self' (i.e. the one that "philosophy
>can talk about in a non-psychological way") is not your postulated
>"experiencing I" but "the limit of the world -- not a part of it."

I am now experiencing philosophizing about this which I am; hence, this
experiencing I is an instance of the philosophical self.

as to the second point, it's not entirely clear just what LW meant by
the cryptic remarks that you quote, "the limit of the world -- not a
part of it". when considered alongside "I am my world", what is the
result?

I am my world; but, not a part of it?

I am the limit of my world?

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

3d.

The Referent of 'I'

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:14 pm (PST)

void wrote:

jpolanik wrote:

>>important for our purposes is that LW claims that the philosophical
>>subject is not the I-0, the I-1 or the I-3. by the process of
>>elimination, that leaves the I-2 as the philosophical subject.

>If the claim of philosophers to be unbiased were all it pretends to
>be, it would also have to take account of language and its whole
>significance in relation to speculative philosophy ... Wikipedia

yes; philosophers have to take into account the language in which
philosophical inquiry takes place; and, therefore ... what?

what follows from your claim?

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

3e.

Re: The Referent of 'I'

Posted by: "Cayuse" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:32 pm (PST)

Joseph Polanik wrote:
> Cayuse wrote:
>> Joseph Polanik wrote:
>>> your belief that 'I' always self-references the physical organism is
>>> untenable. not all people use it that way.
>
>> Examples would help.
>
> obviously, I am one example. as discussed before your recent hiatus,
> I use 'I' to self-reference the container or bundler-together of this
> stream of experiences.

There is a stream of experience -- that much is, as Chalmers puts it,
a "brute fact" -- but where is this "container" or "bundler-together"?
What is to be gained by postulating any such entity?
What practical advantage does talk of any such entity confer?

>>> LW's application of 'self' usefully distinguishes a legitimate topic
>>> of philosophical concern from what you are currently blathering
>>> about. the experiencing I is a topic of philosophical concern; the I
>>> that is just a human body is not.
>
>> LW's application of the word 'self' (i.e. the one that "philosophy
>> can talk about in a non-psychological way") is not your postulated
>> "experiencing I" but "the limit of the world -- not a part of it."
>
> I am now experiencing philosophizing about this which I am; hence,
> this experiencing I is an instance of the philosophical self.

Above, you wrote "I use 'I' to self-reference the container or
bundler-together of this stream of experiences" but now you're using 'I'
to refer to some presumed "experiencer" of this stream of experiences.
Are you implying that the "container or bundler-together" is at the same
time and in some as yet unexplained manner the "experiencer" of that stream?

> as to the second point, it's not entirely clear just what LW meant by
> the cryptic remarks that you quote, "the limit of the world -- not a
> part of it".

You recruited LW's comment (TLP 5.641) to your cause,
and you're not sure what he means?

3f.

Re: The Referent of 'I'

Posted by: "void" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:12 pm (PST)

--- In WittrsAMR@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> void wrote:
>
> jpolanik wrote:
>
> >>important for our purposes is that LW claims that the philosophical
> >>subject is not the I-0, the I-1 or the I-3. by the process of
> >>elimination, that leaves the I-2 as the philosophical subject.
>
> >If the claim of philosophers to be unbiased were all it pretends to
> >be, it would also have to take account of language and its whole
> >significance in relation to speculative philosophy ... Wikipedia
>
> yes; philosophers have to take into account the language in which
> philosophical inquiry takes place; and, therefore ... what?
>
> what follows from your claim?
>
> Joe
> "Individuals come to "know" their own attitudes, emotions, and other internal states partially by inferring them from observations of their own overt behavior and/or the circumstances in which this behavior occurs. Thus, to the extent that internal cues are weak, ambiguous, or uninterpretable, the individual is functionally in the same position as an outside observer, an observer who must necessarily rely upon those same external cues to infer the individual's inner states." (Bem, 1972, Wikipedia

Without understanding what duality is,it may make little sense of trying to know what Non-duality is.

> Both duality and non duality were created in language only.Linguistic functioning is all dual so also said I.This I is also called as center,conscious entity,self, etc just like a cobweb.
This I transforms itself with the help of knowledge accrued like a worm transforms itself to a butterfly.With this state of mind people trying to discuss the subject in question.
For the sake of language to flourish and sustain as knowledge Grammarians of age old created time and space (Not the real space) also called as pot space within which calculation of time spreads and operates.In this time both name and its form operates.That operation is human vision.This is basically dual in its conceptual form.

thank you for asking sir
sekhar --

> Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware
>
> @^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
> http://what-am-i.net
> @^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

> Need Something? Check here: http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrslinks/

4.1.

Re: On what it means to explain consciousness

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:46 pm (PST)

SWM-- found this on the Net.

http://cogprints.org/4390/1/harnad-searle.html

Worth studying. Raises our issues. No time to comment now.

bruce

4.2.

Re: On what it means to explain consciousness

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:29 pm (PST)

Yes, this is pretty much the crux of our never ending debate, Bruce. Intriguingly I am with Searle here (despite my deep dissatisfaction, of longstanding, with his Chinese Room argument). It seems to me that the problem boils down to this: How are we to conceive of consciousness?

In this, though, my assessment of the nature of the problem departs from Searle who relies on the notion that we have to stop asking why at some point.

Searle's response, it seems to me, still leaves open whether a why question ought to be appropriate in the matter of how insensate matter produces the effect of sensations, of experience.

Harnad persists with the claim that we SHOULD be able to answer THIS question in the way we answer other "why" questions whereas Searle likens this to answering physical questions like why gravity works (meaning how it works).

By this Searle means not how does it work in terms of WHAT it does, the phenomena we refer to as gravity, but how it functions as an attractant in the physical realm (what produces the attraction that is gravity).

As Searle notes, even physical explanations come to an end at some point, after which the rest is mystery. Why is the universe the universe, why are physical laws physical laws, etc.? Why is gravity what it is? Searle seems to think that asking why some forms of phyical matter just happen to cause consciousness is like that.

Harnad obviously disagrees. He thinks the "why" of physical causation of consciousness ought to be answerable in the same fashion as we can answer other questions about the workings of the physical universe and when we can't he thinks we inevitably hit a brick wall. Science can't give us the answer we really want after all! There is an unbridgeable gap here, an unsolvable mystery.

I think the problem is that Harnad insists on seeing consciousness in a certain way, i.e., the way you often seem to see it, Bruce. He wants to say that consciousness is a something in the universe in the same way other familiar things are. Like you, he is looking for the blood from the bone marrow, the tangible product.

The mistake, I think, lies in this conception of consciousness. If we can come to see how consciousness is computation-like (note I do not say that it is just so many computations because THAT is a different question and could still be false even if the computation-like analogy is true), then there is no longer a struggle to understand how physical processes can produce instances of experience. Computations are tasks performed by processes and processes are physical in the end (if you dig deeply enough).

This is where you and I have persistently gone aground in our debates and where many others join you. Consciousness, being a subject, having experience -- all of these notions -- just looks like it MUST be fundamentally different from other things, from all that "stuff we encounter through experience.

If the world is made of THAT stuff, how can experience be part of it? Must experience not stand apart from what it experiences in some parallel fashion? How can it be derived from the physical when it is co-existent with it in this way?

As we have said in the past, we have two very deep intuitions that derive from our being what we are. On the one hand, being a subject just looks radically different from the objects experienced by subjects, it just looks unphysical; on the other we see in our everyday lives how we are limited by the physical, how drinking the wrong liquids can change our experiences, how subjects never operate independently of the physical and, finally, through the discoveries of science, how the brain is intricately connected to every instance of experience (see Dehaene for starters).

These two intuitions are at odds, indeed they seem mutually contradictory and one of the things we are constantly trying to do is to reconcile them or discover which one reflects the true picture of how things are.

Philosophical arguments about the mind-body problem, about dualism and idealism, about the existence of a so-called "hard problem" a la Chalmers and, apparently, a la Harnad, seem to reflect the inability to reconcile or navigate between these two competing and perfectly natural intuitions that inform our understanding of what we are and how we fit into the world.

When you have the time let me know and perhaps we can delve further into this (without, hopefully, just retreading the same old ground).

SWM

"BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> SWM-- found this on the Net.
>
> http://cogprints.org/4390/1/harnad-searle.html
>
> Worth studying. Raises our issues. No time to comment now.
>
> bruce

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News