[wisb] raptor identification for the clueless, Madison

  • From: Anna Keaney <anna.ftw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WisBirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:44:49 -0600

We've been seeing raptors in Madison lately that we're having a hard time
identifying. For instance, by the train tracks at University/Whitney Way
this afternoon we (my son and I) saw a large-crow-sized hawk with a gray
back and tail and squared, longish tail perched in a tree right by the
road. When we turned the car around to get a better look, we only caught it
for a few seconds before it flew off. I didn't think it had bands on the
back of its tail, but I was wearing sunglasses and it was in the shade. My
son thought he saw brownish bands with the gray. (For the record, he's only
8; I sometimes take his marking IDs with a grain of salt.) When it flew off
it flew down and away from us, but it looked pretty light underneath.
We want to say Sharp-Shinned, but we really don't know; I didn't think they
hung out in such a populated area, and according to eBird there haven't
been sightings around here lately. Since we are still really new at
identifying raptors, I hate to claim a sighting when we're unable to be
sure. Which is my other question: how the heck do people get sure at
raptors when they zip off or are far overhead?? We've got a few books
(including Hawks at a Distance, which we haven't had a chance to study yet)
but honestly, I don't know how people do this. A small hawk flew right over
my car the other day on Whitney Way and I'm sure someone else could have
made a great ID, but I've got no clue. Is this just a case of
practice-makes-perfect?

Thanks for any help...
Anna Keaney
Gibson Dullea