[wisb] North Point, Milwaukee, 2/20/12

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:48:39 -0800 (PST)

Went up to North Point in Milwaukee the other day trying to find a Harlequin
Duck or some Scoters for the GBBC. No luck. The place was pretty much duckless,
except for a half dozen Mallards, 9 or 10 Gadwalls, and 7-8 Buffleheads, all
very close to shore. No rafts of ducks offshore.

I'm thinking the strong SSE winds had something to do with the low numbers of
ducks. The lake off of North Point is pretty shallow, and the wind was kicking
up some rough surf.

How windy was it? Enough to bring out eight parasail surfers on Bradford Beach,
just south of North Point. Temperature was 36, with a wind chill of 28. Made me
cold just to watch them.

* Here's a shot of four of the parasails up in the sky:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6917098463/in/photostream

* Here's a close-up of a surfer in action:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6917085685/in/photostream

* This close-up gives a good view of the cables going up to the parasail:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6917057607/in/photostream

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee