[wisb] Re: (no sightings) Heads up! Elaenia sp in Chicago.

  • From: korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 01:25:43 +0000

I just heard about this from Tom Prestby. An incredible find! Even more amazing
than our mango. There is only one ABA record for White-crested Elaenia and that
was from South Padre Island, Texas in 2008. Even in Texas elaenias are
mega-rarities.
Mark Korducki, New Berlin

From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
Sender: wisbirdn-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 20:08:18
To: [Wisb]<wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] (no sightings) Heads up! Elaenia sp in Chicago.

Hey everyone,
A friend of mine found an Elaenia Sp (likely either White-crested or
Small-billed) at Douglas Park in Chicago, IL yesterday. The identity of the
bird was not known until today. The specific identity is still not known and
may take quite a while to identify it to species.
Elaenias are a group of tropical flycatchers that are found from Mexico and the
Caribbean south to Argentina.  I saw my lifer White-crested Elaenia in Peru a
couple years ago.
Anyway, it's an incredible find, but worth noting and definitely worth
double-checking just about any bird you see..... This is spring vagrant season!

The link to the discussion about the Elaenia in question is here:
http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topicP480.msg74217#new

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)