[wisb] Re: (no sightings) Heads up! Elaenia sp in Chicago.

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:22:57 -0500

Good morning everyone,
The Elaenia sp at Douglas Park in Chicago is still present as of 10am this
morning. It was seen west of the pool (the public pool in Douglas Park). Good
luck if you chase!
Currently, the tentative ID has been White-crested Elaenia and has been
tentatively (somewhat hesitantly of course) called White-crested by Doug Stotz,
Alvaro Jaramillo and Bret Whitney.  Bret seemed to be the most certain of the
ID.  Cross your fingers and hope it sticks around!
If it is a White--crested, it would be only the second record for the ABA area.
If it is of the chilensis subspecies (which is a potential split), it would be
only the second record for the AOU area (which extends down to Panama) as well.

--Chris W Richland County