[wisb] new Crawford-Vernon CBC today

  • From: "William Mueller" <iltlawas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 19:28:26 -0600

The new Crawford-Vernon CBC today had kind of a rough start - out of the 15
field birders originally signed up to do it, only 7 made it; the others
either were ill, had to work at the last minute, or chose other things to
do instead. This meant the remaining three parties had to cover much larger
areas of the count circle, which is much less effective. But this new count
circle definitely has excellent possibilities. One subadult Golden Eagle
was my best bird of the day, but other uncommon-in-winter finds were a
kingfisher, and six Eastern Bluebirds. A gray-morph Eastern Screech-Owl
peering at me from a hollow in a silver maple in mid-morning was also a
nice surprise. The Driftless Area landscape of western Crawford and Vernon
counties is gorgeous at this time of year! More results to follow when the
other parties turn in their data...

William P. Mueller
Milwaukee
(414) 698-9108