[wisb] Re: new Crawford-Vernon CBC today

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <iltlawas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 19:45:35 -0600

Hi all,
Barb Duerksen and I ran the southern section of the count today.  Our best bird
was also a Golden Eagle interestingly enough.  Other than that, it was fairly
slow species-wise. 25 species total for the day including 2 Rough-legs, 18
Red-tailed Hawks, 1 Pileated Woodpecker, 1 Flicker, 1 Song Sparrow and several
Titmice.  We also had one possible suspect "Pink-sided" Junco.
Some interesting misses were: Kingfisher Purple FinchSnow Bunting Lapland
Longspur Am Robin Eastern BluebirdMourning Doveand finally N Shrike.
The Mississippi river at Ferryville is completely frozen except for a small
"duck-less" section where Sugar Creek runs into it.  I was (and still am)
surprised at the amount of open water on most of the creeks and smaller rivers
though.

We also saw a juvie Golden Eagle above Boaz in Richland County on our way home.

I would not be surprised if the third count party also got at least one Golden
Eagle. The count circle is positioned in prime wintering grounds for Golden
Eagles.  My survey route for the National Eagle Center's Jan 16th Eagle survey
runs through the northern section of the count circle.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)