[wisb] Re: gulls/Sheboygan County

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 19:06:05 -0600

I had a small Glaucous Gull this afternoon at McKinley Marina in Milwaukee.
I saw it land and immediately noted its all white wingtips, but the bird
seemed small for a Glaucous.  Unfortunately it got in amongst the Herrings
and I had great difficulty gauging wingtip extension.  I took some (very
bad) photos, and finally decided that it was definitely a Glaucous, albeit a
smallish one, similar in size to the largest Herring Gulls in the same area.
The head looker rounder than expected, not blocky.  I am assuming it was a
female.

Other Milwaukee gulls today include an adult Thayer's this afternoon at
South Shore Yacht Club, and FIVE juvenile Great Black-backed Gulls this
morning at McKinley Marina.

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee