[wisb] Re: bird ID by sound: best way to do it?

  • From: Gayle Davis <humnbrd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 00:55:40 -0600

I would completely agree with Ryan as a mentor in the field has been an
excellent way over the years for me to learn i.d'ing by ear - another
thing that has helped me, tho it may sounds nuts, is subliminal
tutoring, so to speak - I will take my favorite CD of Wisconsin birds
and play it thru the night while I sleep - it actually works and I know
of another birder, who is excellent, I might add, who has learned his
birds by ear by also training subliminally - also, in the beginning
(thankfully we had LPs back then  :)), when I was also still figuring
out visual i.d.s on birds, if I was hearing but not seeing, I made notes
of what the habitat was, height the sound was coming from, etc etc so I
could hopefully at least narrow it down to one or two families as I
started listening to my recordings -

IMO, this is a tough time of year for learning as few are singing and
not all recordings have the calls also published -

good luck and good birding!

Gayle Davis
Owen, Taylor Cty