[wisb] bird ID by sound: best way to do it?

  • From: Anna Keaney <anna.ftw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WisBirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:40:48 -0600

I apologize if this isn't the right forum to ask this, but we had a bird ID
help question. We're still pretty new at IDing birds and are having a hard
time IDing by sound. I've taken to bringing a recorder in hopes of catching
birds we can't locate and IDing them at home. However, I'm not sure of the
best way to try to track down sounds to compare. One method we've tried is
to look at whatbird.com and search by pattern/song comparison. So far that
hasn't been too successful. Another method is to check eBird for recent
lists in that hotspot and listen to the sounds of birds we know we don't
know. I tried both these methods today for a bird we heard today at Picnic
Point, Madison, with no luck: we still can't match what we're hearing on
the recording. Because we're so new, I'm sure it's not a very exciting
bird, but we'd still like to place it. Does anyone have any tips for IDing
by sound?
Any help is appreciated!

Anna Keaney
Gibson Dullea