[wisb] Re: Whip-Chuck's Wills Widow & Woodcock Walworth-Jefferson Counties

  • From: Steve <sfreisch@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 09:33:22 -0500

The Whip-Poor-Wills and the Chuck-Will's-Widow were present last night
(6/8/2014) at that same location.  We also heard the Woodcocks on the
north side of the road.

We arrived at about 8:45 and the Chuck-Will's-Widow was singing.  It
seemed to be quite close to the road.  It moved around somewhat but this
was one of the easiest finds we've had.  The Whip-Poor-Wills were not as
close but easily heard, too.
We parked in a little driveway that leads into a field on the north side
of Young Road (.5 miles west of Tamarack).  I wouldn't recommend pulling
in there if your car has low clearance.  There's a several inch dropoff
from the road to the driveway.  A short distance (perhaps a couple
hundred feet) west of that is a space that you can pull off parallel to
the road and there isn't nearly as much of a dropoff.

Steve Reischel
Evansville, WI
Rock County