[wisb] Whip-Chuck's Wills Widow & Woodcock Walworth-Jefferson Counties

  • From: "Spencer Stehno" <pensacola634@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 23:23:27 -0500

Whip-Poor-Will                 Chuck-Will's-Widow
Woodcock
Sunday, June 2, 2015, 7:30 - 9:30 PM      78-72oF             Scattered
Thunderstorms - but partly cloudy during viewing

This is on the Walworth & Jefferson County line on the east-west Young Road
- Walworth south / Jefferson north, just west of Tamarack Road

After heavy downpours at 7 PM, skies partly cleared.  We parked on Young
Road 0.5 miles west of intersection of Tamarack and Young Roads.

At 8:45 PM Woodcocks started peenting, flying, and repeating - there were
two.  They kept flying over us with all their sounds and landing and taking
off for 20 minutes before we left.

At 8:47 PM Whip-Poor-Will starts calling on north side of road to our right
and stops after a few calls, but other Whip-Poor-Will starts calling to our
left, and around 9:03 PM it quits while the one on right was overlapping &
continues, then stops at 9:07 PM.  Nothing calling.  Then, at 9:11 PM,
Chuck's Will's Widow started strongly calling for the next 15 minutes 0.1
mile further west on "south" side of Young Road just past large rust-colored
high-tension-power tower.  Strongly calling and wonderfully distinct, and
now fully dark.

Two great birds to hear, along with the woodcocks! (We were surprised that
woodcocks were still calling and sky-dancing in June)

[Other "hearings" while waiting:  Wood Thrush, Towhee, Red Bellied wp,
Turkey, Thrasher, Catbird, Field sp, Song sp, Chipping sp, B. Jay, Crow,
Cardinal, Robin, RB Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting]

Spence Stehno / Dennis Edgar

Waukesha Ben Goss Bird Club