[wisb] Whimbrel, others/Sheboygan,Ozaukee Counties

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 16:40:02 -0500

This afternoon a Whimbrel was on the point at Sheboygan, feeding in the
grass for a couple of minutes. It then flew to the north end of the huge
algae mat just north of the point. The only other shorebirds were two
Sanderlings, a Semipalmated Plover and a Killdeer. Whimbrels seem to be
constantly on the move, so I wouldn't drive a long way to see it unless
local birders report it again.
Kohler-Andrae State Park was extremely quiet. I couldn't find a single
warbler. 6-8 Sanderlings were on the beach.
Harrington Beach State Park (Ozaukee County) had 3 Rusty Blackbirds for a
short time on the south side of Puckett's Pond. No juvenile Red-headed
Woodpecker was there this time.
Thrushes were way down, and I could find only about 6 Swainson's and 1
Gray-cheeked Thrush.
Those of us who look for warblers in September know to look for noisy
Chickadees because usually one or more warblers will be in the vicinity of
the Chickadees (Kohler-Andrae today being an exception). Somebody regularly
puts bird seed on the park road at Harrington, and I think darn near every
Chickadee in the park goes to that feed. I think they are also being hand
fed, because one Chickadee likes to fly right at me as if it expects to be
fed.  My first thought was that this would shut down warbler watching
because warblers rarely eat seed. However, the last few times I've birded
Harrington,  warblers have been virtually non-existent except near the road
at the south picnic area where the Chickadees are constantly going to the
road to feed. I've always wondered if Chickadees followed warblers because
of their superb insect finding ability, or if warblers associated with
Chickadees because the Chickadees know the territory. My observations don't
prove anything, but I am inclined to think the latter is true. Even though
the Chickadees were feeding mainly on seed, the only warblers I could find
in the park (except 1 American Redstart at Puckett's Pond) were in the trees
near the Chickadees!
The warblers here today were Black-and-White, Blackpoll, Magnolia, Northern
Parula, American Redstart, and a Black-throated Blue. My first-of-season
Ruby-crowned Kinglet was also in the flock.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County