[wisb] Re: Where are the La Crosse migrants?

  • From: "Larry Johnson" <larry.johnson412@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mrstrass@xxxxxxx>, "'Wisconsin Bird Network'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:06:47 -0500

I agree that the migration in Western WI seems to be almost nothing so far.
My Amish helper Edward and I knocked off early a couple of days ago and
drove to Trempealeau NWR.  We found a small cluster of birds on the North
end of the refuge that contained mostly Yellow Rumps but we found a
Blackburnian, Redstart, and others but we were directly down sun and had a
very hard time with ID.  Near the HQ we found another small group of birds.
I parked but am slow getting around with a new two week old hip.  Edward
came back to ask about a warbler with a large white eye ring, yellowish
below and a sort of gray above.  That made my cane and me hustle over to
have a look but the bird did not cooperate.  Edward viewed photos of
Connecticut Warblers and is sure that it was his bird number 133 (lifers and
2014 year list). Overall, migration has been a few warblers, some flickers
and relatively small flocks of blackbirds for me.

Larry Johnson   Ettrick WI